DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

Goodbye July. Its been real. Time to kick off a new thread for August. 

Edited by DidiFan
  • Like 1

Do we know why Hand is in to close?

Came on the eighth for a 5 out save.  

Allen with a 4 out save last night.

Maybe a trend for the Indians?  

But Allen did pitch Monday too so probably just a rest thing, especially with a day game.

Edited by bluefrogguy
  • Like 3

Doolittle's return date seems totally up in the air at this point. Is Herrera the guy for now or is someone else lurking in the Nats pen ? 

Edit My mistake just saw he got the save today so I answered my own question lol

Edited by DidiFan

Given's in in the 8th up 6 runs? Is he not the guy in Baltimore?

And has loaded the bases with nobody out.

Edited by TrueToTheBlue

5 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

probably just giving him some situational work. he's had a rough patch and they won't be creating too many save opps with that AAA lineup.

Now Paul Fry is in - maybe Givens isn’t the guy

• Like 1

1. damn so Hand is the closer I guess

these mid season trades are killer

Edited by Hurt Reynolds

15 minutes ago, Hurt Reynolds said:

Or maybe Allen pitched the last 2 days and he was rested with the early start today

• Like 1

Over the past 2 years it seems as if Allen falls apart if overused. Not sure if Hand is the guy so much as they're going to make an effort to limit his innings. I'm still guessing committee. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hurt Reynolds said:

In the 9th, the Twins sent up Mauer (L), Rosario (L), Polanco (S) and Morrison (L). Made sense to stick with the lefty there. And as someone else mentioned, Allen had pitched two straight.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mthdmn said:

What a sh*t show in Baltimore.

Maybe today makes it more likely they give Carroll a chance to close.  It is kind of funny that everybody after him pitched like crap.  They literally have nothing to lose by trying him, but we'll see obviously.

40 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Top 10 closer ROS 

Can't really argue with that.  The only potential thing that could hold Smith back would be a chance of there being a lack of opportunities, but nobody can argue with the results so far regardless.

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

Maybe today makes it more likely they give Carroll a chance to close.  It is kind of funny that everybody after him pitched like crap.  They literally have nothing to lose by trying him, but we'll see obviously.

Can't really argue with that.  The only potential thing that could hold Smith back would be a chance of there being a lack of opportunities, but nobody can argue with the results so far regardless.

Given their crappy offense,  ballpark,  and division I'd ballpark that 80% of the games the Giants win going forward will generate a save opportunity.

3 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

So what is the latest on Rondon vs. Osuna?  Now reading stuff that Osuna is likely to setup.

Hard to really read much of anything into a Rotoworld blurb.  I have yet to read anything legitimate that says what their plans are for sure.  It's possible they don't even know yet even though it's pretty obvious they are willing to be a hated franchise now for a reason.

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Given their crappy offense,  ballpark,  and division I'd ballpark that 80% of the games the Giants win going forward will generate a save opportunity.

Definitely true.  I'm a Smith owner and obviously agreed with everything you said.  I guess, going back to the opportunities thing, it's just a question of 80% of how much?

Regardless, he's been basically every bit as good as anybody else in the league statistically since taking over the closer's role.  With the trade deadline being a disappointment overall for closing situations, I'm really glad I picked up Smith a while back.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

So what is the latest on Rondon vs. Osuna?  Now reading stuff that Osuna is likely to setup.

I think we have to assume for now that Osuna isn't going to be thrown into save opps day 1 or even week 1, and will probably ramp up to eventually taking it over. How soon is the question.

I also wonder how Osuna will perform after all this, should be interesting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I think we have to assume for now that Osuna isn't going to be thrown into save opps day 1 or even week 1, and will probably ramp up to eventually taking it over. How soon is the question.

I also wonder how Osuna will perform after all this, should be interesting.

All good points.  Another thing to consider is how Rondon responds to all this.  Does he try his best to be lights out for the time being to try to hold onto the closer's role? If so and he continues to roll like he has been or even up another level, can they honestly make the switch even though it's pretty obvious they were willing to take all of the backlash for a reason?  A couple of other things there to let rattle around in our brains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

2 hours ago, MireLurker said:

probably just giving him some situational work. he's had a rough patch and they won't be creating too many save opps with that AAA lineup.

Givens joins Gsellman and Jace Fry as failed trade deadline pickups for saves.   I understand that every save is valuable in competitive blood-for-saves leagues, but this is the problem with picking up bums like these guys.  They are going to hurt your ERA and WHIP and probably aren't even going to last as closer to get you many saves.  (Heck Gsellman has already lost the closer's role, and Fry and Givens might have now too.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Givens joins Gsellman and Jace Fry as failed trade deadline pickups for saves.   I understand that every save is valuable in competitive blood-for-saves leagues, but this is the problem with picking up bums like these guys.  They are going to hurt your ERA and WHIP and probably aren't even going to last as closer to get you many saves.  (Heck Gsellman has already lost the closer's role, and Fry and Givens might have now too.)

Yup...Absolutely.  Could not agree more.  Basically you should just forget about NYM, Baltimore and CHW for saves and let someone else suffer through those scrubs.  I know Swarzak has supposedly found the magic formula...don't you believe it lol.

4 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Vizcaino is reportedly weeks away from throwing. Is he worth he stash? 

I might try to stash if I have the space, but would only be for the final couple weeks?

7 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Yup...Absolutely.  Could not agree more.  Basically you should just forget about NYM, Baltimore and CHW for saves and let someone else suffer through those scrubs.  I know Swarzak has supposedly found the magic formula...don't you believe it lol.

Yeah, I don't trust Swarzak anymore than I trusted Gsellman a few weeks ago.  He will probably be the next bum to lose his closers job.

Closers on bad teams can still be valuable.  Look at Hand before and Yates now for SD.  Even Soria was a decent fantasy asset for the White Sox.  Bad teams win less games, but usually when they win, they don't blow out teams.  The problem with the Mets, Orioles, and White Sox relievers is that all they all suck.

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Like 1