DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

Rondon gets Cruz and Seager out ....... and then of course gives one up to Healy to blow the save. 

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

Houston lost the last 2 games to Seattle, this was sort of a big blown save...But sure, I am the troll here 

How about Osuna losing the game ?

3 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

How about Osuna losing the game ?

That makes it a little sweeter even though I obviously have Rondon.

Actually something constructive, Osuna probably losing the game is actually a good thing for Rondon.

Edited by KilloWertz

Osuna would not be in that position, if the supposed closer did his job. And I would appreciate you not calling me a troll, it’s August, and half of the people that were here in April are not here. I am, and still discuss certain players. Alex Wood is back Tuesday. But no one cared to check his thread

There’s nothing “supposed” about it, though - Rondon is the Astros closer.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Not for long

No reason to think anything changed today.  Rondon blew the save, but Osuna lost the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the Dodgers have trotted out Scott Alexander, J.T. Chargois, Zac Rosscup, and now Dylan Floro in high leverage situations this weekend and all of em have let them down. I'd be surprised if they don't go with Maeda outright in the next week. 

13 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

Lugo with the save today, the closer for NYM?

It's most likely a committee, and one I want to stay away from. I have Gsellman but I won't anymore after midnight tonight.

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

Osuna would not be in that position, if the supposed closer did his job. And I would appreciate you not calling me a troll, it’s August, and half of the people that were here in April are not here. I am, and still discuss certain players. Alex Wood is back Tuesday. But no one cared to check his thread

Generally to take a closer job from someone else, you have to pitch better than said closer. 

Yes, Osuna cost then the game. However as I said they would not even be in that position if Rondon did his job

9 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Yes, Osuna cost then the game. However as I said they would not even be in that position if Rondon did his job

"Yeah my guy blew it big time.  But if things had hypothetically been different, he might have not done that."

^ This isn't an argument.  It can be applied to literally every situation in life.

• Like 4

I need to know what our opinion is on Maeda closing now that he's officially been moved to the pen.  My situation is that I don't need a part-time closer/mid-RP and he's taking up a bench spot.  If he's gonna close then that's cool, but if he's gonna be in a once a week throwing two innings kinda setup then I need to bail.  Any thoughts on his outlook?

12 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Yeah but the blame is really on Keuchel because he didn't throw a complete game shut out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

"Yeah my guy blew it big time.  But if things had hypothetically been different, he might have not done that."

^ This isn't an argument.  It can be applied to literally every situation in life.

Not disputing that. Rondon is the closer. He has a few more games like today, he won't be. That's all

• Like 1

lets talk about the colorado and milwaukee situations

ottavino gave up a run today while wade davis looked good

will jeffries take over? i see that knebel pitched the 6th and gave up a run

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, David Aames said:

lets talk about the colorado and milwaukee situations

ottavino gave up a run today while wade davis looked good

will jeffries take over? i see that knebel pitched the 6th and gave up a run

It's already been conformed that Knebel has been removed from the closer's role.  A few days ago.

3 minutes ago, RenegadeGM said:

It's already been conformed that Knebel has been removed from the closer's role.  A few days ago.

Jeffress or Hader? 

Just now, ramox15 said:

Jeffress or Hader? 

I think Jeffress will get the closer job since the manager likes Hader to be the long relief pitcher but if Hader gets it then he’s an automatic top 5 closer on my list. Either way, both are valuable and relevant at this point. Hader will definitely get saves here and there with a great K/9 ratio.