DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

2 hours ago, terminator10 said:

And meanwhile HADER has taken sole control of the closer role in Milwaukee

Remember when people were saying "Knebel is coming back" lol

Hail Hader!

I own Hader myself but think they are going to give Knebel the opportunity to win the role back.

I doubt Hader will pitch any more than once every three days.

Just now, B&F said:

I own Hader myself but think they are going to give Knebel the opportunity to win the role back.

Lol I have NO DOUBT he will pitch more than once every 3 days. Especially if he pitches only 1 inning at a time like he was used today..

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Lol I have NO DOUBT he will pitch more than once every 3 days. Especially if he pitches only 1 inning at a time like he was used today..

4 hours ago, B&F said:

Yes, if Hader is a one inning guy now (don't know that for sure yet) then he can pitch multiple days and likely will be used as a lights out closer.  He may run with it for the rest of the year.  Right now I think Knebel is going to be used only in a "can't hurt the team" role for awhile and will have to work his way back into meaningful innings.  That may no longer be closer by that time.  Crunch time now so you gotta go with the guys who are doing the job...

Andy Green on Yates' recent struggles:

"His workload has gone way down," Green said. "In so doing, sometimes guys have a hard time finding the ability to stay as sharp as they were normally. We'll try to see what we can do to maybe change that. If that means some other guys get pushed to the ninth inning from time to time, it's honestly more about getting Kirby in situations where he's good to pitch."

https://www.mlb.com/padres/news/padres-drop-series-finale-against-d-backs/c-291085278

• Sad 1

So is Jeffress not in the picture for saves like previously thought? I feel like this was their first save opp in a while but I could be wrong

12 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Not a 3 run game anymore but was entering the 7th....

Pressley in the 7th

Rondon in the 8th....

Sure sounds like Osuna has the job to me... assuming he can close out the next opportunity.

17 minutes ago, DoctorPayne said:

Sure sounds like Osuna has the job to me... assuming he can close out the next opportunity.

lmao um Osuna didn’t even pitch yesterday. you are reading too much into this one occurrence.

14 minutes ago, tscherrer2 said:

lmao um Osuna didn’t even pitch yesterday. you are reading too much into this one occurrence.

It's very reasonable to think that Osuna might get the next save opportunity.  When your guy comes into the 8th in a non-save situation, after blowing two previous opportunities and you have your future closer (with 100 + saves at 23 years old) ready to go,  you'd have to be pretty unaware to think otherwise.   And I own Rondon...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2

Considering how much ground OAK made up on HOU, the team not hitting well with Altuve/Springer out of the lineup, they're going to have to get serious about not letting anymore games slip away.

In normal circumstances maybe Rondon gets a longer leash, but at some point I could also see them insert Osuna, or divide the SV chances among the two. When the lineup gets healthier, still no certainty they're going to become a mash unit again, could be a lot of very close games ROS with little margin of error for HOU.

Or maybe the A’s just wanted rondon to pitch against the opponents best hitters Khris Davis and Matt Olsen and no roles have actually changed at all!! ?‍♂️

11 hours ago, terminator10 said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/08/18/notes-reliever-josh-hader-has-seen-workload-reduced-recent-weeks/997595002/?from=new-cookie

55 minutes ago, tscherrer2 said:

Or maybe the A’s just wanted rondon to pitch against the opponents best hitters Khris Davis and Matt Olsen and no roles have actually changed at all!! ?‍♂️

if closers who are secure in a spot (9th inning) they are not generally being used previous to that inning.  Anything is possible but given the last 3 days ( 2 blown saves and 8th inning work yesterday) I would be very surprised if Osuna didn't get the save opportunity today should one present itself.    Perhaps Rondon gets it still but you "lmao'ing" it as a possibility is pretty off the mark...

• Like 1

Any reason to think Knebel will regain the closer role? Looks like Hader is looked in and they can’t afford any blown games RoS.

1 minute ago, Shortnphat said:

Any reason to think Knebel will regain the closer role? Looks like Hader is looked in and they can’t afford any blown games RoS.

Hader has rarely been used in back to back games this year and usually gets 2 days off between appearances.  I know because own him.  

At the same time there are other options in that bullpen to close games.   

If Knebel pitches well I think the will be put back in the closer role.  Will he pitch well? I dunno.  He seems to have lost his curveball.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

The manager said he wants Knebel back at closer - that probably qualifies as a reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

if closers who are secure in a spot (9th inning) they are not generally being used previous to that inning.  Anything is possible but given the last 3 days ( 2 blown saves and 8th inning work yesterday) I would be very surprised if Osuna didn't get the save opportunity today should one present itself.    Perhaps Rondon gets it still but you "lmao'ing" it as a possibility is pretty off the mark...

Yeah, I think we saw the beginning of the changing of the guard in the Houston bullpen. If Rondon doesn't blow those two saves, then imho there is no change. But Houston is at a place where there is zero room for error for them. The appropriate road for them right now might be to start inserting Osuna into the job. If they still had a 5+ game lead on Oakland, maybe his leash is longer. But Houston has to be feeling a little desperate at the moment. 

More and more of baseball teams have moved to using the best relievers vs the best hitters regardless of inning. Except, apparently, the most analytically minded team the Astros want to stick relievers to specific innings.

It really feels like we are looking backwards and trying to craft a narrative around what happened. No one knows what’s going to happen and it’s all a guessing game. 

A closer is the closer until he is not the closer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tscherrer2 said:

More and more of baseball teams have moved to using the best relievers vs the best hitters regardless of inning. Except, apparently, the most analytically minded team the Astros want to stick relievers to specific innings.

It really feels like we are looking backwards and trying to craft a narrative around what happened. No one knows what’s going to happen and it’s all a guessing game. 

A closer is the closer until he is not the closer.

It definitely is a guessing game, and that's all we're doing...guessing. No one is saying we know for sure that Osuna is taking over for Rondon. We're doing what happens frequently in this thread...speculating. 

5 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

Is anyone who has both of them starting Osuna over Rondon this week?

If I had both in a weekly, I'd be trying to start both of them. If I could not start both of them, I'd lean towards Rondon because nothing has officially come out about him losing the closer job. 

How do people feel about the Nats situation? Glover hasn’t been spectacular since coming back yet is there any word that Doolittle is returning soon? Glover has only converted one save thus far, but is it suddenly his spot to lose? I believe last season they really wanted Glover to be the guy but he hasn’t impressed much so far. 

14 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

How do people feel about the Nats situation? Glover hasn’t been spectacular since coming back yet is there any word that Doolittle is returning soon? Glover has only converted one save thus far, but is it suddenly his spot to lose? I believe last season they really wanted Glover to be the guy but he hasn’t impressed much so far. 

Sounded like Herrera would be back soon. Like early this week. I don’t think Glover has done anything to suggest he should get save opps once others are healthy.

It's not clear what you mean - Knebel is with the team but has yet to be reinserted into the closer role.  I'm not sure if you actually read the linked article, but Counsell again declined to name Hader (or anyone else for that matter) his designated closer.  He instead stressed the importance of limiting Hader's workload to keep him fresh down the stretch.  I have no doubt he will see some more opportunities to close here and there, but back-to-backs are probably not in his future, and Counsell will likely continue to mix and match - just as he did earlier this season when Knebel was injured.

Fry back in the mix for saves in the putrid White Sox bullpen. I'm sure that news will thrill FootballFan101. lol...

-from Closer Monkey-

The White Sox used five relievers to navigate the final three innings of the game, with Jace Fry getting the final two outs by strikeout to pick up his second save. (He was preceded, in reverse order, by Thyago Vieira, Luis Avilan, Xavier Cedeno, and Jeanmar Gomez.) While it seems like any of these players could get a save on any given night, the lefties have had the edge lately in one of the few lefty-heavy bullpens in baseball, as Fry, Avilan, and Cedeno have recorded the last three saves.

Edited by k.k.