DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

12 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Basically Rondon is going to be used as the 7th/8th inning guy

Well, that was quick and appreciated. At least for Rondon owners, its like ripping a band aid off.

Poor guy can't catch a break.

Thanks for the 2 months.

Edited by Gryfter
  • Like 3

In re: Koda Glover

I think it depends on your situation. If you're just chasing saves at any cost, I wouldn't be surprised to see Glover get the next chance for the Nats, assuming Herrerra isn't activated today. They have almost no one else left in that bullpen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Isn't Doolittle due back soon?

Last I heard he was tinkering with his mechanics trying to find a way to pitch through the foot injury. I got the impression that he still needs some time ie his time table is very much still up in the air.  From yesterday-- (8/20) Honestly I think there is at least a decent chance we don't seem ROS 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/the-nationals-had-the-bullpen-they-wanted-then-flaring-tempers-and-injuries-tore-it-apart/2018/08/20/e16445fe-a47d-11e8-8fac-12e98c13528d_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3fe63fa2899b

But the stress reaction in his left foot won’t dissipate, and try as he might to work around it, he can’t find a comfortable method. As of last week in St. Louis, he was throwing off the mound, trying to change his mechanics so his foot would experience less torque. But the ball wasn’t coming out right. His mechanics weren’t clicking. He ditched the plan.

25 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Last I heard he was tinkering with his mechanics trying to find a way to pitch through the foot injury. I got the impression that he still needs some time ie his time table is very much still up in the air.  From yesterday-- (8/20) Honestly I think there is at least a decent chance we don't seem ROS 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/the-nationals-had-the-bullpen-they-wanted-then-flaring-tempers-and-injuries-tore-it-apart/2018/08/20/e16445fe-a47d-11e8-8fac-12e98c13528d_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3fe63fa2899b

But the stress reaction in his left foot won’t dissipate, and try as he might to work around it, he can’t find a comfortable method. As of last week in St. Louis, he was throwing off the mound, trying to change his mechanics so his foot would experience less torque. But the ball wasn’t coming out right. His mechanics weren’t clicking. He ditched the plan.

so herrera is the guy to own ros?

2 minutes ago, David Aames said:

With Glover imploding and Doolittle struggling to return from his foot injury it looks like at least a pretty decent chance that Herrera is the guy ROS

Just to be clear its of course Doolittle's job if/when he returns but from what I've been seeing I don't think you can take his return for granted anymore. 

6 minutes ago, David Aames said:

sounds like it - I was rostering all three.  Can finally drop Glover now once Herrera is activated.

1 hour ago, Gryfter said:

Well, that was quick and appreciated. At least for Rondon owners, its like ripping a band aid off.

Thanks for the 2 months.

I was rooting for Rondon as much as anybody, but when it's this late in the season and your team is reeling, and you blow back-to-back saves against the two teams right behind you in your division, then it's kind of hard to feel sorry for you when you get replaced.

This was his job to lose and he lost it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

Whoa Nats you dummies. 

Sean Doolittle has a LONG history of shoulder trouble that's finally been managed with a aggressive shoulder pre-hab program.

And you wanted him to change his mechanics due to a foot injury in a LOST SEASON?

Crap like this nonsense is why the Nats constantly underachieve.  

Stephen Strasburg sprained his ankle in spring training a couple of years ago.   Spring training.  Instead of shutting him down to allow it to heal they allowedhim to pitch with altered mechanics... which led to a cascade neck issue. 

Idiots.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Thanks for the 2 months.

It was so obvious Osuna would be the closer soon. Too bad some people didn't listen and wanted to receive official clubhouse statement before dropping that Rondon guy

Not gonna say a word, but I did say it's gonna happen soon.  Rondon is a good reliever but the stage is too big for him

Is the consensus that Rondon should be dropped for Herrera (since many of us are likely Rondon owners with Herrera available)

2 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Not gonna say a word, but I did say it's gonna happen soon.  Rondon is a good reliever but the stage is too big for him

You were called out regarding your stance that Rondon wasn't good in his closing role with the Cubs. You said the "facts" showed he was not, but the actual facts showed the opposite. 

As for Rondon and Osuna, most guys seem to understand that if Rondon didn't perform, his leash would be short. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Is the consensus that Rondon should be dropped for Herrera (since many of us are likely Rondon owners with Herrera available)

Herrera isn’t likely available in most leagues we’re in, but I’d say the consensus is this is a bench coach question.

4 minutes ago, street sharks said:

You cant play "wait and see" with closers.  Facts are,astros manager said that osuna will be the closer. Gotta play the numbers.

6 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I would imagine Herrera was on a team's DL in most competitive leagues, rather than floating around on the wire. 

5 hours ago, soccerphysio said:

When is Vizcaino due back?

The last bit of news I had seen was that he resumed throwing Last Wednesday the 15th. I imagine they would send him on a short rehab assignment when ready before returning. If all goes well and there are no setbacks I think it’ll be within the next week or two at the latest. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, urban2014 said:

And I'll add that the one time Rondon was on the "big stage" in the playoffs as the Cubs' closer, he did just fine. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Osuna better improve or he isn't going to have the job for long.