DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

It was Span, Seager, Healy, Hamel.  Lol

 

He was set to face 4, 5, & 6 hitters. If a clean inning, Rondon was then set to face 7, 8, 9. 

I own Rondon. I hope he gets 10 more saves. But the usage is clear as day. Not sure what we’re “lol’ing” about.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He was set to face 4, 5, & 6 hitters. If a clean inning, Rondon was then set to face 7, 8, 9. 

I own Rondon. I hope he gets 10 more saves. But the usage is clear as day. Not sure what we’re “lol’ing” about.

The assumption of a 1-2-3 inning.  Plus Cruz on bench to pinch hit.   I don’t think this had anything to do with line up.   It’s a stretch.   There best hitters were at 1-2-3 and on the bench.   Just one base runner throws that whole theory out of whack.  And low and behold. That is what happened.  If that was his thought.  It was dumb.  Look who Rondon faced. Haniger, Cano, and Segura

Edited by Ratso1022
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone hear actually WATCH osunas Inning? The second hit just skipped over bregmans glove. And the third hit was just out of reach of the 1B by a few inches. Those easily could have been two outs and itd be a completely different story. 

Not saying osuna is better than rondon or vice versa, just stating the box score doesn't tell you everything. 

Edited by kobebryant17
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He was set to face 4, 5, & 6 hitters. If a clean inning, Rondon was then set to face 7, 8, 9. 

I own Rondon. I hope he gets 10 more saves. But the usage is clear as day. Not sure what we’re “lol’ing” about.

 

That may have been the "plan" set in stone, it may not have been.

 

Either way, what ended up happening is Osuna getting knocked around by hitters 4-9 and Rondon pitching a perfect inning vs. the top of the lineup for the save. That, by itself, is worth a few lol's after all the hoopla and dropping of Rondon to waivers.

 

I guess Hinch was drawing up a new late inning script after the game...

 

Image result for aj hinch gif

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robertson was unavailable to pitch in Tuesday's game against the Marlins due to a sore right shoulder, Marc Carig of The Athletic New York reports.

Spin: 

The extra-inning affair may have provided a save chance for Robertson with closer Aroldis Chapman exiting the 12th inning with a knee injury, but Robertson's shoulder has been tender for a few days. The Yankees don't seem overly concerned about the right-hander, which could prove significant if Chapman is forced to miss any time. Robertson's availability for Wednesday's game remains unclear, but Thursday's scheduled off day provides a chance for some additional rest if the team opts to remain cautious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

btw, hopefully Kelvin Herrera's activation rescued a few other save-chasers like me from starting Koda Glover last night. What an absolute gas can. I don't pay much attention to the "holds" stat. But I wonder, do you even have to record an out to get one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Rondon owner and not that encouraged by last night. I'm thankful for the save but it might be one of his last this year IMO.

 

Osuna was used last night for match up reasons in the 8th IMO, he K'd 3 and got some unlucky grounders that found holes.

 

Like @Backdoor Slider said, if Rondon gets 10 saves that'd be awesome but expect Osuna to get more save opps upcoming.

 

.

Edited by Members_Only_76
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

Robertson was unavailable to pitch in Tuesday's game against the Marlins due to a sore right shoulder, Marc Carig of The Athletic New York reports.

Spin: 

The extra-inning affair may have provided a save chance for Robertson with closer Aroldis Chapman exiting the 12th inning with a knee injury, but Robertson's shoulder has been tender for a few days. The Yankees don't seem overly concerned about the right-hander, which could prove significant if Chapman is forced to miss any time. Robertson's availability for Wednesday's game remains unclear, but Thursday's scheduled off day provides a chance for some additional rest if the team opts to remain cautious.

Robertson would have pitched earlier in the game if not for his shoulder, thus no 12th inning save chance either way. He would’ve pitched before Cole and Holder, probably before, Britton, Green and Maybe even Betances. He’s been the 7th inning guy. 

Edited by Ratso1022
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, kobebryant17 said:

Did anyone hear actually WATCH osunas Inning? The second hit just skipped over bregmans glove. And the third hit was just out of reach of the 1B by a few inches. Those easily could have been two outs and itd be a completely different story. 

Not saying osuna is better than rondon or vice versa, just stating the box score doesn't tell you everything. 

 

No one is saying Osuna got blasted...just pointing out that he gave up 3 hits and a run. If Rondon had had the exact same inning, we'd be reading Osuna owners saying "told ya so" and Rondon owners saying, "but, but...Rondon wasn't hit hard...he was unlucky". 

 

It's the way the game goes. Sometimes dribblers and bouncers find their way through, but they still count as hits. And the bottom line is Rondon got through 1-2-3 with no issues and on 9 pitches. Does that solidify Rondon's job? No...I still think Osuna will end up with some save opps. ITT, we'll just have to endure Rondon owners saying "See, Rondon is the closer!" and Osuna owners saying "See, Osuna is the closer!" everytime one of them secures a save. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

Robertson would have pitched earlier in the game if not for his shoulder, thus no 12th inning save chance either way. He would’ve pitched before Cole and Holder, probably before, Britton, Green and Maybe even Betances. He’s been the 7th inning guy. 

 

Good stuff. I think Betances gets first crack. A lot of guys that could close on the team though. Britton has pitched horrible this year, i doubt he comes anywhere close to the 9th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have no idea why Hinch used Osuna and Rondon the way he did. saying anything one way or the other is projecting and retrofitting the outcomes around our biases.

 

until the decision maker and thought process owner AJ hinch makes a decision... if you are able to roster 1 of these guys then do it. if you are able to roster both then do it.

 

we can sit here and debate but no one knows anything and trying to predict anything in life other than what goes up must come down is futile. we know nothing. 

 

Osuna and Rondon should both be owned until further notice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tscherrer2 said:

We have no idea why Hinch used Osuna and Rondon the way he did. saying anything one way or the other is projecting and retrofitting the outcomes around our biases.

 

until the decision maker and thought process owner AJ hinch makes a decision... if you are able to roster 1 of these guys then do it. if you are able to roster both then do it.

 

we can sit here and debate but no one knows anything and trying to predict anything in life other than what goes up must come down is futile. we know nothing. 

 

Osuna and Rondon should both be owned until further notice. 

This.  And to add to this... how many more committee/ leverage usage guys do we need to see before we recognize this is the new norm for fantasy save chasing.  An already tumultuous position just got more chaotic.  Value sole roles in next year's draft more,  and roll with the punches this year.  Adapt or die

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ratso1022 said:

Robertson would have pitched earlier in the game if not for his shoulder, thus no 12th inning save chance either way. He would’ve pitched before Cole and Holder, probably before, Britton, Green and Maybe even Betances. He’s been the 7th inning guy. 

 

I believe Robertson has traditionally acted as closer in Chapman's absence before with Betances taking that role in a previous season and having failed spectacularly and an unwillingness to go back to him being the result. I think Britton is the only other preferred candidate and his performance this season has been a mess, even since coming back from the DL and being traded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

He was droppable a week ago.

I disagree. If he turned it around, they would've put him right back in the closers role. In my league you don't drop potential closers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BMcP said:

 

I know this may seem obvious, but I don’t think it’s obvious from usage alone tonight that Kelvin Herrera has been reinstated as closer.

 

Ok whatever. His first game back, they game planned for him to actually save the game. For as bad as you think Herrara is, Glover has been worse. Doolittle and Madsen don't look at all close to coming back. It's a pretty logical conclusion to think the guy called on to save the game (while the previous closer was moved into an 8th inning setup role) may actually be called on to save games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I disagree. If he turned it around, they would've put him right back in the closers role. In my league you don't drop potential closers. 

 

^in other leagues, clinging to dead weight/trash is pretty damaging.

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kwolf68 said:

 

Ok whatever. His first game back, they game planned for him to actually save the game. For as bad as you think Herrara is, Glover has been worse. Doolittle and Madsen don't look at all close to coming back. It's a pretty logical conclusion to think the guy called on to save the game (while the previous closer was moved into an 8th inning setup role) may actually be called on to save games. 

 

I feel like you and I discussed this comprehensively over in the Herrera thread.  I hope he performs well for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BMcP said:

 

I feel like you and I discussed this comprehensively over in the Herrera thread.  I hope he performs well for you.

 

Considering I have Vizcaino on IR and Kela was traded to Siberia in a league my size I need anything I can get. Hoping Hader gets some closing chances with the continual downward spiral of Knebel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

^in other leagues, clinging to dead weight/trash is pretty damaging.

Absolutely.  Some leagues are so competetive that most potential takeover  closers are gone weeks before they assume the role.  Every roster spot is valuable and moves need to be made quick. Its not possible to play "wait and see" sometimes. Meh,it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cesare13 said:

Absolutely.  Some leagues are so competetive that most potential takeover  closers are gone weeks before they assume the role.  Every roster spot is valuable and moves need to be made quick. Its not possible to play "wait and see" sometimes. Meh,it is what it is.

 

Yep, the bigger the league the tougher on that front. We have multiple teams in our league with NO closers. I was SET with Vizcaino and Kela, but the fantasy gods spoke. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

 

^in other leagues, clinging to dead weight/trash is pretty damaging.

True statement, but is he dead weight if he strings together a few good outings and they put him back in the role?

I wouldn't really call waiting a week to see if he turns it around "clinging to dead weight". I'd rather wait and see what I have over dropping him too soon and helping another team. The guy was an elite closer last year, I think he warrants some patience coming back from injury. That's just me though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor Rogers got the save last night though it probably had something to do with 3 LHB due up. I'm thinking Hildy still the best bet for saves for Twins though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.