DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

What's going on in Chicago? Fry has pitched pretty well lately...not great but solid. Over his last 10 outings, he has a 2.45 ERA and 0.95 WHIP in 7.1 innings (17 K and 3 BB). He got the last save opp...will he be getting future opps or is that a fullblown committee? As bad as Fry was until recently, he still seems like the best option in that dreadful bullpen. 

Edited by Flyman75

Leclerc making trouble for himself with a leadoff walk and a wild pitch to move him to 3rd with 0 outs.

EDIT:

I should clarify. He's having a lot of trouble commanding his slider. 

Edited by Lebanasty

FYI, Boone is going to try to stay away from Robertson again tonight.   Even though Robertson claims he is ready to go, with off day tomorrow, they want to give him an extra day.  This coming from Yankee pre game.    

Rondon with the 8th today. Bottom of the order. Osuna will face Haniger, Cano, Seager (Cruz) in the 9th. Hit that “like” if you’re rooting for Osuna to blow it! ?????

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Rondon with the 8th today. Bottom of the order. Osuna will face Haniger, Cano, Seager (Cruz) in the 9th. Hit that “like” if you’re rooting for Osuna to blow it! ?????

Hinch actually has multiple personality disorder. 

Every night, it's a different personality making decisions, and one happens to prefer Rondon and the other Osuna.

So after 10 years or so of being in this thread I deserve a bench coachish question...

can anyone give me a guess how long Chapman is out for?  I need to finalize playoff rosters tomorrow 

I'd wager that Chapman is out for more than the 10 day minimum and likely won't be back for 3 weeks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jason123 said:

I'd wager that Chapman is out for more than the 10 day minimum and likely won't be back for 3 weeks.  

You beat me to it. I was going to say 3 weeks as well. Makes no sense for them to rush him back given that they have other options. They just need to hang on to the top WC with the division long dead. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

You beat me to it. I was going to say 3 weeks as well. Makes no sense for them to rush him back given that they have other options. They just need to hang on to the top WC with the division long dead. 

Who would you say is the leading candidate between Robertson, Britton, and Betances?

Mets broadcasts are clueless, Strickland is working his way back to closer duty? Eh ok 

15 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Who would you say is the leading candidate between Robertson, Britton, and Betances?

That's the million dollar question. And Lance Lynn didn't help answer it. 

Venters?

Just now, BMcP said:

Venters?

2 out of the 3 due up hitters were lefties.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Betances has been by far the best of the 3 but it wouldn't shock me if Boone keeps him in the setup role and we see D-Rob or Britton get opportunities. 

Wonder if Neris gets another crack at the ninth again soon

2 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

Britton IMO and fwiw that’s also Mike Francesca’s opinion

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

8 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

Wonder if Neris gets another crack at the ninth again soon

He came in during the fourth tonight - he has a steep hill to climb to merit further mention in this thread.

In my opinion Seranthony is safe in his role. This was a blown save but if you watched the game you’d have seen he was pitching well and it was far from an implosion. 

He got the first two outs fairly easily albeit the first one was an excellent catch by the LF. He gave up a hit to a great hitter in Soto on what was an excellent at bat in which he fought off many good pitches from Seranthony. Then gave up the hr to Zimmerman. 

I think his his performance this year in that role has served the Phillies well and has earned him a longer leash. 

1 hour ago, Baumer24 said:

No save for strop?

Nope.  I wasn't watching it, but from what I can tell Maddon didn't let him pitch the 9th for no reason.  It was still a save opportunity since he came in during the 8th when it was 4-2.  Thanks Joe...

Probably saving him for tomorrow in a sudden blowout

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Probably saving him for tomorrow in a sudden blowout

Maybe, which would make a lot of sense since he's gotten a whopping 2 saves in roughly the last 2 weeks.