DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

4 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

You’re the one who mentioned 2 innings.  Sorry, but I have no idea how to do any research on those silly metrics anyway.  

Looks like others thought that also

Well, ignorance is bliss, I suppose. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Any chance we could be looking at someone else in the Padres pen with Yates struggling? Maybe Stammen? 

I wouldn’t say he “struggled” today, though.  Story had a bloop single on a nice breaking pitch out of the zone that parachuted just out of reach of the fielders along the RF line.  He struck out Arenado and Parra.  He made one mistake pitch he left out over the plate that Desmond hit for a homer.  

Not a success, by any means, but not a sign of a “struggle,” either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Thanks for that fantastic outing, Kirb. 

You tell ‘em, Fuzz.    Lol.  :P

Thats not what Rotoworld reported, BMcP. 

It was a TOTAL MELTDOWN!!!

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I wouldn’t say he “struggled” today, though.  Story had a bloop single on a nice breaking pitch out of the zone that parachuted just out of reach of the fielders along the RF line.  He struck out Arenado and Parra.  He made one mistake pitch he left out over the plate that Desmond hit for a homer.  

Not a success, by any means, but not a sign of a “struggle,” either.

Thanks for the context. Helps a lot. Fully admit I took a quick glance at the box score on the fly so its of course really hard to judge from that alone. Just wanted to make sure we're not running to grab someone else. And RW's blurbs certainly don't help at all with their "nightmare" declarations. They make it seem like the 4 horsemen rode to Coors and took Yates with them. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, speculative add on Ryan Burr.  Held the save record at Arizona State and may get a chance to close for the White Sox before year's end.  I'd stash him in a keeper league.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, abachar said:

Knebel sent down to AAA

And Soria is to come off the DL and takes his roster spot.  Will he also take the closer job away from him as well?

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And Soria is to come off the DL and takes his roster spot.  Will he also take the closer job away from him as well?

Nope, because Knebel already lost it to Hader/Jeffress.  Soria could work himself into a high leverage situation, but the 9th inning already seems to be covered.  If I'm wrong in the end, then that will be a shock in regards to this particular situation.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, it'll be Jeffress/Hader depending on matchups I guess.  Have the Brewers been picking the 9th based on lefty/righty ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ratso1022 said:

I guess the fat man sways your opinion, yesterday you said Robertson.   BTW.   Boone said he will use all 3.   

You’re correct. I was swayed by the fat man

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abachar said:

Knebel sent down to AAA

Smart move by them.   Let him work on his mechanics in games that don't matter.

9 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Smart move by them.   Let him work on his mechanics in games that don't matter.

Wow.  Didn’t see that coming. 

Blown save by Strop.  Gets pulled so he doesn't get the save two games ago and now gives up a game typing HR to Suarez.  I'm about to give up on closers.  I'd say why, but then it would turn into a CSB post.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Well, ignorance is bliss, I suppose. 

i will always be ignorant in that regard, and proud to be so.  

Looks like Barraclough is right back in as closer, hopefully he blows it.

5 hours ago, Ratso1022 said:

i will always be ignorant in that regard, and proud to be so.  

Cool.  This is like saying “I don’t know how to fix windshield wipers, but im proud of my ignorance in that regard”.

Windshield wipers are a tool that help you drive better.  You are at a disadvantage to your fellow drivers by not taking the time to figure out something so simple.

But hey...to each their own.  Advanced metrics are a tool.  I like to have a nice toolset, myself.  Some people are fine with just a screwdriver and a hammer though, I guess.

::shrugs::

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seriously, I might as well just cut all of my closers not named Will Smith and Brad Hand.  Seranthony can't stop blowing saves, now Strop and Allen blow them in the same day.

I know I was just in here a few days ago agreeing that Allen looks to be back on track, but Tito seriously needs to make the switch to Hand.  Not depending on who's coming up anymore.  I know they are really playing for nothing, but when Allen can't stop giving up HRs and Hand is, well, Hand you have to make the switch.

• Like 1

Will Smith with the most painful blown save of the year. 

Up 6-4. Gets two out, none on.   

Panik makes an error.

Then Odor hits the game tying hr.

Brutal.