DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

4 hours ago, MireLurker said:

Stripling is being activated during this weekend series, he should definitely be in the mix.

But yeah, I need another closer this week... can't trust Kenley.

Buehler was moved to Tuesday which is when Strip will be activated.  I think Strip piggybacks onto Buehler's start and Buehler goes to the pen for a while and Strip gets back in the rotation.  Strip should be good for 5 more starts before moving to the pen for the playoffs (if they make it).

32 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Buehler was moved to Tuesday which is when Strip will be activated.  I think Strip piggybacks onto Buehler's start and Buehler goes to the pen for a while and Strip gets back in the rotation.  Strip should be good for 5 more starts before moving to the pen for the playoffs (if they make it).

Interesting... or just frustrating

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mannymachado said:

Osuna in the 8th? F u hinch

My guess: As the 8th was starting it was a one run game, and Trout and Ohtani were due up in the 8th. Osuna was going to be used against their best hitters.

Astros pushed the lead to 5, Osuna was already warmed up and they went with it. 

Truly looks like Osuna/Rondon will split moving forward. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Buehler hasn’t even hit 100 innings. Why throw him in the pen? He’s clearly one of their best starters, probably the best they have not named Clayton. 

Just now, MugsyBogues said:

Buehler hasn’t even hit 100 innings. Why throw him in the pen? He’s clearly one of their best starters, probably the best they have not named Clayton. 

He's already at his career high.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/fantasy-baseball-sixteen-pitchers-who-may-be-approaching-an-innings-limit-including-zack-wheeler-and-jack-flaherty/

2184468.png
team logo
 VIEW PROFILE
Walker BuehlerLAD • SP • 21
2018 INNINGS103.1
PREVIOUS HIGH98

By the time Stripling is ready to return from the DL, he may be taking Walker Buehler'sspot. True, the Dodgers have every incentive to give Buehler as many innings as they can justify so he has a reasonable hope of building up to 180 someday, but realistically, it probably means they give him, say, three more starts before shifting him to the bullpen the rest of the way.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, CAT said:

Wow, Kenley.  Feel bad for the guy.  He probably should have taken more time off just to get his head straight.

I wonder if the Dodgers rushed him back too soon because of how putrid their bullpen was after he hit the DL. 

5 hours ago, motown magic said:

Except Giles

Why are you confused ? Have you been watching what he had done since being with the Jays ? 

He hasn't blown s save all year. He's 27-27 

Another one last night .

18 hours ago, quietj said:

Dominguez has been absolutely terrible the last month. He has to be removed from the anointed closers role after today right? 

Hector Neris looks “fixed”. Since he was recalled the 15th, 5.2IP 2 hits, 1BB/12K, 0ER. Could be a sneaky pick up

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Hector Neris looks “fixed”. Since he was recalled the 15th, 5.2IP 2 hits, 1BB/12K, 0ER. Could be a sneaky pick up

Wow. Nice tout. Definitely somebody to monitor closely.  He was very solid in his AAA run before the call-back-up, so maybe something was tweaked. 

On 8/22/2018 at 10:22 PM, Jub Jub said:

Wonder if Neris gets another crack at the ninth again soon

This is what I was saying on Wednesday, it might be time to look at Neris again

5 hours ago, STLSU said:

He's already at his career high.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/fantasy-baseball-sixteen-pitchers-who-may-be-approaching-an-innings-limit-including-zack-wheeler-and-jack-flaherty/

2184468.png
team logo
 VIEW PROFILE
Walker BuehlerLAD • SP • 21
2018 INNINGS103.1
PREVIOUS HIGH98

By the time Stripling is ready to return from the DL, he may be taking Walker Buehler'sspot. True, the Dodgers have every incentive to give Buehler as many innings as they can justify so he has a reasonable hope of building up to 180 someday, but realistically, it probably means they give him, say, three more starts before shifting him to the bullpen the rest of the way.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.truebluela.com/platform/amp/2018/8/17/17706336/walker-buehler-innings-limit-non-factor

Well according to what was reported to start the season, the official/unofficial innings limit for Buehler would be in the 140-150 range. 

That plus the fact that the Dodgers have an uphill climb just to make it into the playoffs, and Buehler being their second best starter right now, it makes me question whether they'd be willing to put him in the bullpen yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DavidbivaD said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.truebluela.com/platform/amp/2018/8/17/17706336/walker-buehler-innings-limit-non-factor

Well according to what was reported to start the season, the official/unofficial innings limit for Buehler would be in the 140-150 range. 

That plus the fact that the Dodgers have an uphill climb just to make it into the playoffs, and Buehler being their second best starter right now, it makes me question whether they'd be willing to put him in the bullpen yet. 

Yeah I saw that in ST.  Stripling is in the same ballpark.  150-160.  Both guys are very good starters.  I don't see any falloff.

Neris in to handle the 7th

Herrera looks to be done.  They brought out the cart for him with 2 outs in the 9th.

Not to joke about the situation as it's probably a pretty serious injury, but you're unfortunately welcome given every single closer I've had lately has been a disaster/or now hurt.  It's a shame either way.

That tough to see Herrera get hurt pitching in a 15-0 game. Hopefully it wasn't an Achilles tear. 

7 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Herrera looks to be done.  They brought out the cart for him with 2 outs in the 9th.

Not to joke about the situation as it's probably a pretty serious injury, but you're unfortunately welcome given every single closer I've had lately has been a disaster/or now hurt.  It's a shame either way.

Good grief man that's unbelievable. I didn't see it but looks like it was a routine grounder and Zimm wasn't covering the bag

Just now, dsd10988 said:

That tough to see Herrera get hurt pitching in a 15-0 game. Hopefully it wasn't an Achilles tear. 

That's the speculation. His time in Washington can be classified as a true disaster. 

Just now, DidiFan said:

Good grief man that's unbelievable. I didn't see it but looks like it was a routine grounder and Zimm wasn't covering the bag

I didn't see it either.  I just saw something about it online, and that's exactly how it was described.  You can blame Zimmerman in a sense, but that's just crazy.

4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I didn't see it either.  I just saw something about it online, and that's exactly how it was described.  You can blame Zimmerman in a sense, but that's just crazy.

Especially in a 15-0 game just brutal. Its the Nats season in a nutshell really. 

4 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

So Glover is the obvious next in line in Washington?

I suppose so I mean unless I'm missing someone who else is left at this point? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Especially in a 15-0 game just brutal. Its the Nats season in a nutshell really. 

I suppose so I mean unless I'm missing someone who else is left at this point? 

Pretty much.  I understand using him to get work in, but damn.

Yeah, it'll be Glover. He was named the guy before Herrera came off the DL, so they'll probably just go back to him.  There goes any reason to own a closer for them again.

Meanwhile for the Brewers Hader gets the 6th-7th Soria the 8th and Jeffress the bottom of the Order to close it out.