DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

1 minute ago, bradwatson said:

Madson got the 8th so Glover must be the guy until he implodes again.

They are using Miller currently

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

They are using Miller currently

Yep. Better than Glover and Madson probably.

1 minute ago, David Aames said:

Who is miller

31 year old who came out of no where the beginning of the year with a crazy K rate and looked great.  Has fallen back to earth since then but still not nearly as abysmal as Glover or Madson have been.

Well, I guess it's now a committee with the Cubs.  Strop puts the leadoff guy one, gets an out, and then puts another on.  He then gets pulled so they can go lefty/lefty.  You don't play matchups like that if you just have one guy.  I may be reading more into it than I should, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Edited by KilloWertz

Tony Watson warming up for the 9th and not Will Smith.  Wow, one blown save that wasn't even his fault and then one time Melancon has to come in and clean up his mess and Smith loses his job.  Between this and Strop getting pulled tonight in the middle of a save opp leaves me with just wow again...

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Well, I guess it's now a committee with the Cubs.  Strop puts the leadoff guy one, gets an out, and then puts another on.  He then gets pulled so they can go lefty/lefty.  You don't play matchups like that if you just have one guy.  I may be reading more into it than I should, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Your suspicions are correct. Per @CarrieMuskat: #Cubs Maddon on Strop: "He's not the regular closer. ... He's not an ordained closer, he has not been to the Vatican and he has not received the holy oils. He's part of the bullpen."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Tony Watson warming up for the 9th and not Will Smith.  Wow, one blown save that wasn't even his fault and then one time Melancon has to come in and clean up his mess and Smith loses his job.  Between this and Strop getting pulled tonight in the middle of a save opp leaves me with just wow again...

I wouldn't say Smith has lost his job yet.   He has pitched quite a lot lately and maybe they wanted to give him 2 days off, as he hasn't warmed up at all this game.   We will see the next save op for sure.

Edited by Ratso1022
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, blackbeard said:

Strickland with the save this time, frustrating situation

Melancon pitched the last 3 nights.   It didn't look like he or Smith were available tonight.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, blackbeard said:

Strickland with the save this time, frustrating situation

Quite. Melancon had pitched 3 in a row and Smith pitched 3 of last 4

19 minutes ago, boogaloo_flu said:

Your suspicions are correct. Per @CarrieMuskat: #Cubs Maddon on Strop: "He's not the regular closer. ... He's not an ordained closer, he has not been to the Vatican and he has not received the holy oils. He's part of the bullpen."

Meanwhile the fantasy world waits outside the Cubs Bullpen with bated breath as a new closer is anointed... 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Leaving the Cubs’ Catholic intransigence to an anointing aside, the Rocks are really muffing this lead here 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Goodnight, Ottavino. 

Last two outings have been bad. Perhaps he’s hitting a late season wall. Has been a terrific source of Ks this season with solid ratios and the occasional win or save but he had no control tonight.

No Blake Parker for save? Dammit.

Friggen wasted yesterday on a losing game and because of that misses a save opportunity...

So dumb.

Edited by DavidbivaD

6 hours ago, DavidbivaD said:

No Blake Parker for save? Dammit.

Friggen wasted yesterday on a losing game and because of that misses a save opportunity...

So dumb.

Yea a whopping 1.1 inning workload last week with no saves. Had to rest I suppose? 

Edited by flowbee

Alright so just so I can make sure I've got it all straight I'm gonna list out the current questionable closer situations.  Correct anything that seems off or add stuff if I forgot anyone because I most certainly did.

1) NYY:  Britton/Betances/Robertson appear to be in a matchup based committee.  Robertson has gotten 2, Britton and Betances 1.  Betances is the best pitcher of the bunch, but will probably be reserved for the best batters.  I'll take Robertson over Britton due to being a RHP but should be totally random.

2) SF: Smith has been shaky a bit but still think it's his job.  Melancon got the call after Smith pitcher 3 in a row, then Strickland the next day with both Smith and Melancon recovering.  Gotta think that's the order for now but if Smith keeps struggling that could change.  Next save opp will be tell us if Smith really lost his job.  Worth keeping a close eye on.

3) WSH:  Gross.  Miller got the last one with Madson just returning.  Best guess is that they were just easing Madson back into it but could eventually be a changing of the guard since Madson and Glover have been awful. Greg Holland hasn't been bad of late either...but uh...yeah won't go there.

4) CHC: Maddon seems to be mix and matching a bit.  I'd guess Strop is still the best bet for now but I guess Cishek and Edwards might sneak in a few.  

5) Hou: Seems like Osuna goes in for the tougher outs, be it in the 8th or 9th.  Rondon will still get a few but seems like the short end of a committee.

6) LAA: Parker had pitched the previous 2 days but still it's weird to see him not go yesterday. Wonder if there's something to see there.  Best guess is it's still his job unless news comes out of an injury.  It's not like Anderson or Bedrosian have been knocking the door down with their performances.

Anything I missed?  Not exactly any clear league-winners in there.  Rondon/Betances/Robertson seem like the best bets to steal a few saves and not torch your ratios.  Madson seems like the best bet to take over a role full-time but has been pretty bad all around.  With Smith/Madson lose their jobs Melancon/Miller would be relatively high upside adds.

• Like 4