NYR Fan 116894

John Ross 2018 Outlook

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/7/29/17627786/bengals-training-camp-takeaways-day-4

Ross ‘is’ the story of training camp

Coming into training camp, a lot of the focus was on the offensive line and the offense as a whole. After all, this was the unit that really hamstrung the 2017 Bengals and really kept this team from winning 2-3 more games and making the playoffs.

While those units have looked good so far, the real story is how great John Ross has looked. For four-straight days, Ross has been arguably the biggest performer, and he’s got everyone buzzing at Bengals training camp.

Video: https://twitter.com/sidelinehustle/status/1024374715073421312

Edited by NYR Fan 116894

1 year removed from being the #9 overall pick, one of the fastest players in the NFL & now is basically free in fantasy drafts. Not many players with as much upside where he’s getting drafted. Will gladly take him as one of my bench WR in every league.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Hard pass.

Good thing you’re not risking it all to take Ross in the last round of your draft...

Yeah I don't see him as any thing other than mike Wallace Torrey smith type you go long guy.... but maybe he'll catch some space...

I can already see how owning him would go. 

Have on bench... 

3 catches 85 yards and a TD. 

OK... Maybe I'll start him this week. 

1 catch 15 yards 0 TD's. 

Ugh. Back to the bench. 

Repeat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Have on bench... 

1 catch 15 yards 0 TD's. 

Ugh. Back to the bench. 

Repeat. 

That's how owning any WR3 goes. If they were super consistent they'd be considered a WR1

• Like 2

That route in the video was pretty nasty. He will compete with Boyd for targets. Not a bad flier I guess.

If their O-Line can actually let Dalton breath this year, then he'll have a chance. 

5 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

If their O-Line can actually let Dalton breath this year, then he'll have a chance. 

23 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

LeFell just released. WR2 spot locked by Ross. Ceiling at WR3 numbers?

If someone other than Dalton was throwing to Ross, he'd have a chance.

Deep leagues only, I"m thinking.

5 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

If someone other than Dalton was throwing to Ross, he'd have a chance.

Deep leagues only, I"m thinking.

Dalton is not bad. Not good, but not bad either. If these high picks live up to expectations ( Mixon and Ross ), and if the O-Line becomes average, then sure. Just look at what he did in 2015 before the annual Bengals vs Steelers injury game. He can break out if all the right pieces are in place. 

Ross is definitely worth a flier. Second year, healthy, Bill Lazor with a full offseason to implement his scheme.

He's going to have some big games this year if he stays healthy. He'll also have some stinkers. But that's what you expect when you draft a player at Ross' ADP.

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

That's how owning any WR3 goes. If they were super consistent they'd be considered a WR1

Super consistently scoring me 2.5 points.

You draft him, start him, and I'll be looking for you in the vent and rant thread.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You draft him, start him, and I'll be looking for you in the vent and rant thread.

I'm primarily coming from a dynasty standpoint, and keeping him off my taxi squad this year. His long-term barring no injury should be a lock for a good career. But I think he could have a semi-breakout this year if game script and opportunities are thrown his way. 

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Well I don't know if I'll own him specifically, but every year I own WRs like him. Sometimes they stay on my roster as bye week fill-ins/emergency starts, often they get sent back to the wire and I grab another WR coming off a nice week or two that I hope will stick around longer, but they often don't :unsure:

On 8/1/2018 at 9:27 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Have on bench... 

1 catch 15 yards 0 TD's. 

Ugh. Back to the bench. 

Repeat. 

Oh, so like basically any receiver who isn't elite! If he has 85 yards and a TD upside every week, then he's an awesome value as a late round flyer. 

Edit: Oops. Beat me to it. 

4 hours ago, owenmills said:

Edited by ajs723

Does everyone just assume he's going to be another Jackson or Torrey Smith because of his stature and speed?  Isn't that a little short sighted?  I'm not saying he will be more than a home run threat, but if his route running is improved and he's playing all over the field, it's also quite possible he will do more than just run deep routes in the regular season.  And I doubt the Bengals took him at #9 overall (or whatever) with the idea that they were going to tell him to run long and chuck it up to him a couple times a game - that's the kind of draft capital you use on someone you think could be a game changer.

7 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Does everyone just assume he's going to be another Jackson or Torrey Smith because of his stature and speed?  Isn't that a little short sighted?  I'm not saying he will be more than a home run threat, but if his route running is improved and he's playing all over the field, it's also quite possible he will do more than just run deep routes in the regular season.  And I doubt the Bengals took him at #9 overall (or whatever) with the idea that they were going to tell him to run long and chuck it up to him a couple times a game - that's the kind of draft capital you use on someone you think could be a game changer.

I think his ceiling is is to be a Tyreke Hill/Marquise Goodwin type. FWIW LaFell has averaged about 100 targets per year the last two seasons (Goodwin and Hill each had 105 last year). With 90-100 targets, Ross could be a breakout player. 

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 1

Does he have a role on special teams ? If yes I will definitely target him in deeper leagues which reward return yardage.

4 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

Dalton is not bad. Not good, but not bad either. If these high picks live up to expectations ( Mixon and Ross ), and if the O-Line becomes average, then sure. Just look at what he did in 2015 before the annual Bengals vs Steelers injury game. He can break out if all the right pieces are in place. 

I question Dalton's decision making and wonder if his inconsistencies aren't due to some crossed wires in his brain. MRI might reveal something. The only Bengals I find as "value" picks right now are AJG, Gio, and Kroft.

andy-dalton-2nd-int-1.gif

Late round flier for a Tyreek Hill type season is well worth the risk imho.