Sign in to follow this  
LarrysBraves26

2018 First Year Player Draft Selection

You're in a 30 team dynasty (Roto) and you have the first 3 selections of the draft. Lucky you I know.  Who are you're top 3 ranked selections? Don't worry about needs of the team, just who is your best 3 guys you think will help the team for years to come. For me I go #1. Madrigal, #2 Bart, #3 Bohm. 

You'd probably have better luck getting responses in the bench coach help forum - seems to have a lot more traffic and this type of question would work there as well.

Personally I'd go Madrigal/Mize/Bohm/India/Gorman/Bart/Larnach/Swaggerty; however, as with all questions of this nature it uniquely depends on your particular team's situation. I could see Bart having more value if your future catching options are weak, just as I could see Bohm/India/Gorman having more value if your middle infield/starting pitching options are better than your 3B options going forward.

In a vacuum, I'd rank them as I have them listed..

• Like 1

Hard to argue against what Dark One said. I wouldn't forget Seth Beer. He was one of the more polished college bats and is not missing a beat in the minors so far. I really like India a lot too. I would pass on Madrigal. Too small for me to expect big time upside from. 

If it's me, I probably go India/Beer/Mize. 

• Like 1

Thank you both for your response guys. I have Both STL C Knizner and TOR C Jansen coming at C. My MLB team sucks on purpose. I spent a full year + getting prospects for a 2019/2020 foundation to come. Here is my core guys coming from my milb system.

C: Jansen + Knizner

1B: McKay and ARI Pavin Smith

2B: Urias + Isan Diaz

SS: No one good

3B: Senzel

LF: Eloy and Verdugo

CF: Robert + Pache

RF: Kirilloff + Rutherford

DH: OF Jesus Sanchez 

SP Core: Urias/Soroka/Puk/Luzardo/Allard/ ATL K. Wright/ Toussaint/ Wentz/Muller

I have the first pick in the draft and working on another top 5 pick in the first rd. I was thinking Madrigal for SS. Do you all think he stays at SS? 

Posted (edited)

I have the 2018 draft class ranked as follows:

Casey Mize - most advanced college arm in a long while with 3 plus pitches including a plus plus splitter and good control
Nick Madrigal - Safest and likely fastest moving bat in the draft. Elite elite contact skills highlighted by the fact he is yet to strikeout as a pro, and should be a 10 HR/20 SB kind of guy at 2B/SS with a very good average which makes him plenty valuable.
Alec Bohm - 70 raw power but has unique contact skills in that he struck out at just a 10.53% rate in college this year. Power and contact skills together like that are special.

Edited by garlando
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LarrysBraves26 said:

C: Jansen + Knizner

1B: McKay and ARI Pavin Smith

2B: Urias + Isan Diaz

SS: No one good

3B: Senzel

LF: Eloy and Verdugo

CF: Robert + Pache

RF: Kirilloff + Rutherford

DH: OF Jesus Sanchez 

SP Core: Urias/Soroka/Puk/Luzardo/Allard/ ATL K. Wright/ Toussaint/ Wentz/Muller

I have the first pick in the draft and working on another top 5 pick in the first rd. I was thinking Madrigal for SS. Do you all think he stays at SS? 

I actually think you may have a great SS option in Senzel - they have Suarez at 3B along with Gennett at 2B and both are performing really well obviously. Senzel could end up being a utility option that gets near everyday AB's and a boatload of position eligibility (with SS possibly being the primary one). One thing to be aware of though is that after the 2019 season it's possible Senzel may lose his 3B eligibility if Suarez doesn't miss any time - he's definitely entrenched at 3B for the Reds for years to come.

Madrigal could end up at 2B depending on what they do with Moncada, but they also have Tim Anderson (who the organization likes) at SS, so it's also possible that if Moncada doesn't move off 2B Madrigal could end up being another jack of all trades type that gets nearly everyday AB's. Very valuable pieces for roster management. I also agree with garlando that he's the safest pick in the draft - those are the types I want with a high pick.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 2:17 PM, LarrysBraves26 said:

Really no one has an opinion on the first year players draft future dynasty value?

It goes in Bench Coach Forum, that is why.