Beerdown

Tyler Boyd 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, street sharks said:

We don't want Green to miss time

Agreed. Boyd isn't AJG. Boyd facing the weaker coverage is to his advantage. And he already sees a healthy amount of targets that wouldn't necessarily increase with an AJG injury. He won't dominate the tougher coverage and double teams like AJG can.

• Like 1

I think you guys need to give Boyd a little more credit.  A lot of teams WR1 face the top opposition and double teams, yet their secondary receiver doesn't put up anywhere near Boyd's numbers.

Edited by kdko
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kdko said:

I think you guys need to give Boyd a little more credit.  A lot of teams WR1 face the top opposition and double teams, yet their secondary receiver doesn't put up anywhere near Boyd's numbers.

You have a valid point, but I don’t think anyone is discrediting Boyd’s talent as much as they are simply saying a healthy AJG on the field with him and drawing double teams and tougher coverage assignments benefits Boyd significantly. 

Edited by Bill_Buckner
Spelling
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bill_Buckner said:

You have a valid point, but I don’t think anyone is discrediting Boyd’s talent as much as they are simply saying a healthy AJG on the field with him and drawing double teams and tougher coverage assignments benefits Boyd significantly. 

Of course, I never argued that.  But people seem to think without AJG that Boyd would flop on his face.

Yeah I don’t think Boyd would flop at all without AJG, but I think it would absolutely impact his numbers negatively. 

In the NFL coaches can completely take away a player if they think doing so is good strategy. With AJG on the field, We will never have to worry about whether or not Boyd gets bracket coverage. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2018 at 11:31 AM, WH71 said:

No YAC, little speed, TD dependent.

Now is the time to unload him. 

I’d like to hear this guy’s analysis on today’s game. ?

3 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

What's his outlook Dynasty/Keeper wise?

Great question.

I am struggling with this one.    He is my number one keeper for next year ( So far) I could go with Godwin or him. 

Green's right toe injury still has swelling as of Wednesday, indicating the need by the Bengals to do more tests, Paul Dehner Jr. of The Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
Spin: 

Green's 2014 season was significantly hampered by an injury to his right big toe. He missed three games and parts of many others that season. It's fortunate for the Bengals that this is their bye week, but this has the potential to extend longer as an issue.

Would put Boyd in the WR1 mix. When Green missed about a half of football in week 3 Boyd went nuts. 

2 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:
Green's right toe injury still has swelling as of Wednesday, indicating the need by the Bengals to do more tests, Paul Dehner Jr. of The Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
Spin: 

Green's 2014 season was significantly hampered by an injury to his right big toe. He missed three games and parts of many others that season. It's fortunate for the Bengals that this is their bye week, but this has the potential to extend longer as an issue.

Would put Boyd in the WR1 mix. When Green missed about a half of football in week 3 Boyd went nuts. 

Wasn't most of the damage done while Green was still in the game?

I actually feel Boyd benefits from having Green on the field and drawing his share of coverage.  Take Green out and what receiving threats are there besides Boyd?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I actually feel Boyd benefits from having Green on the field and drawing his share of coverage.  Take Green out and what receiving threats are there besides Boyd?

John Ross??

Cincys ros schedule isnt scary other than the Bal game... other than that im not worried, he’ll get fed and or get fed in garbage time lol

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

look at overall stats instead of small sample sizes, the increased volume would obviously help, especially in Boyd's case when the team has nobody else to throw to

• Like 1

Just now, CABLE87 said:

John Ross??

Cincys ros schedule isnt scary other than the Bal game... other than that im not worried, he’ll get fed and or get fed in garbage time lol

Thanks, I totally forgot about Ross.  I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I was actually asking who their other pass-catchers are lol. 

You do bring up a good point about garbage time which I agree with.

It's not that I would be fading him without Green, just that I wouldn't be jumping for joy either.

Just now, JJ1223 said:

Thanks, I totally forgot about Ross.  I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I was actually asking who their other pass-catchers are lol. 

You do bring up a good point about garbage time which I agree with.

It's not that I would be fading him without Green, just that I wouldn't be jumping for joy either.

John Ross is hurt so we would need him to get healthy. Other than Ross its just Boyd out their lol 

• Sad 1

Ross is irrelevant. Boyd succeeds when Green is on the field. The whole offense does. If I was a boyd owner, I’d want AJ on the field

1 minute ago, Chippa said:

Ross is irrelevant. Boyd succeeds when Green is on the field. The whole offense does. If I was a boyd owner, I’d want AJ on the field

and I'd be trying to acquire boyd from you at a minor discount if i didn't already own him. increased volume is rarely a bad thing for receivers regardless of situation

1 minute ago, panthers93 said:

and I'd be trying to acquire boyd from you at a minor discount if i didn't already own him. increased volume is rarely a bad thing for receivers regardless of situation

I think AJ being out would raise Boyd’s floor, but slightly lower his ceiling.  The offense wouldn’t move as well, and thus score less TDs.  Targets don’t all automatically shift to the #2 WR when the #1 is out, especially when they run a different route tree. Boyd is already getting targets... he might see 2-3 extra per game with Green out, which would mitigate the chance of a KC-like output when the offense is stagnant, but limit his scoring upside because they would reach the red zone less.

I own both and like the current situation.  I don’t believe Boyd becomes anymore valuable if AJ is out unless you are looking for a higher floor.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I think AJ being out would raise Boyd’s floor, but slightly lower his ceiling.  The offense wouldn’t move as well, and thus score less TDs.  Targets don’t all automatically shift to the #2 WR when the #1 is out, especially when they run a different route tree. Boyd is already getting targets... he might see 2-3 extra per game with Green out, which would mitigate the chance of a KC-like output when the offense is stagnant, but limit his scoring upside because they would reach the red zone less.

I own both and like the current situation.  I don’t believe Boyd becomes anymore valuable if AJ is out unless you are looking for a higher floor.

Thanks, this is what I was trying to get at but you did a much better job of saying it.  I think higher floor but lower ceiling is a good way of looking at it.

• Thanks 1

i don't really agree with this either. expected yards and receptions go up for boyd. sure, team TDs will be expected to go down. how many less points are you expecting Cincinnati to score without aj? 10? 20? more like 2-3 imo, and with aj off the field i think everyone's expected tds stays roughly the same besides Dalton. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, panthers93 said:

i don't really agree with this either. expected yards and receptions go up for boyd. sure, team TDs will be expected to go down. how many less points are you expecting Cincinnati to score without aj? 10? 20? more like 2-3 imo, and with aj off the field i think everyone's expected tds stays roughly the same besides Dalton. 

2-3? Haha, um, no. I expect about 7-10 points less per game with Green out of the lineup. Historically they have struggled mightily when he has been injured.  I’m not going to take the time to compile the ppg with and without, but look up any box score from a game he has missed and you can see for yourself. He’s a top 5 WR talent, and Dalton’s go-to target even when he has bracketed coverage.  Boyd is a good WR, but he is not an elite level talent like Green.

If they had another healthy weapon in the passing game I would maybe concede that Green’s absence could be masked a bit, but as it is, they don’t. Ross is their 3rd leading WR, and he is also hurt. That leaves Green, Boyd & Mixon as the only legit weapons left. Take one away and they become much easier to defend... this offense will suffer mightily.

Receiving Yards 2018

Green:  687 yds

Boyd: 620

Uzomah: 184

Eifert: 179

Mixon: 115

Ross: 79

• Like 2