NYR Fan 116894

Aaron Rodgers 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

I'm surprised I don't see all the Rodgers owners in here freaking out yet. 

I recall Rodgers saying he's gonna play, if he wants to play I don't think anyone can stop him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am leaning towards that he will not play.

Firstly, with adrenaline and before swelling, if it's a knee sprain, one could play through gingerly, but I can pretty much guarantee he was barely able to walk the next morning after swelling sets in and adrenaline is gone.

Secondly, they are not going to risk their 100 million dollar man going out there already crippled against a ferocious divisional vikings defense that is salivating over the chance to pound a hobbled Rogers.  Aren't these the same Vikings who injured him last year?  Ya...na...sit him.

 

I'd be prepared with a plan B for any packers players this week.

 

Edited by cheezor42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can stand and throw the football - he's playing.

 

The team will just severely limit the plays they call that dont involve any pocket movement whatsoever and pray their RBs will take a tiny bit of pressure off.

 

But its Week 2, the Packers are looking to win THIS season not next, he's playing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not worried at all yet. He probably won't practice much if at all this week and will be listed as questionable, I'd give it a 70% chance he plays based on speculation.

 

I get the Vikings have a strong defense and all that but this is also a pivotal (as pivotal as week 2 games can be at least) division game where it could easily make a difference down the stretch at the end of the year... Green Bay will want to do everything they can to make sure they can take their home game against the Vikings this year, unfortunately Kizer wouldn't give them much of a chance to do so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

I'm surprised I don't see all the Rodgers owners in here freaking out yet. 

 

nothing to freak out about, the match up wasn't great to begin with, you're starting him if he is playing and looking for a streaming option if not.  pretty simple, plenty of streaming options available

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also it should be noted that this type of injury cannot 'worsen' by playing on it.  It simply is a matter of him not being able to move around as fluidly as he normally would so the result could be some very awkward stumbling around which MIGHT cause a new/different injury to occur albiet thats the worse case scenario and basically could be applied to anyone playing a snap of NFL football, so there's that.

 

This isn't broken ribs and hes wearing a flak jacket where any basic tackle could aggravate it, no it's simply the guy won't be able to use his legs much and you'll see the Packers look to get the ball out of his hands FAST like 1-3 step drops with quick slants and dig routes often.  The game plan will be centered around establishing the run, stopping Vikes run and fast precise passes that Arod is still the best in the league at even without both his legs.

 

I owned ARod for 5 years in a row and have watched him a TON - this injury will only limit his fantasy upside meaning his WRs need to do more work than normal for those big fantasy point days until he can run around in the pocket again buying time which is his traditional way of oodles of fantasy production.  Owners will have to hold their breath for a while now each time Rodgers is under pressure, it's not gonna be a good feeling until he looks somewhat normal again but he should be able to tough it out improving as time passes. 

Edited by Zak0221
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's probably also going to be told to throw the ball away more than he normally would.  ARod is very football smart, he will know how to manage this injury and still be effective because if he isn't effective he will be the first to bench himself until he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

 

But its Week 2, the Packers are looking to win THIS season not next, he's playing. 

Exactly. If that means sitting him one or two weeks to get healthy, they absolutely will. He gets hurt further this week because they didn't exercise caution their season is shot.  It's not some foregone conclusion that he can walk, he'll play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Also it should be noted that this type of injury cannot 'worsen' by playing on it. 

 

This is not true - we all just witnessed Keanu Neal sprain his knee, return to the game, then tear the ACL in the same knee in one game, almost surely because of the previously sustained injury.

Ligament strains don't heal from time alone.  They heal from time and rest.  Re-aggravation or risk of other injury due to compensating are massive, as is the risk he gets something else hurt because he can't evade pressure.  It can absolutely get worse and it absolutely puts him at major risk of hurting something else.

 

Disagree with the "if he can walk he can play" narrative.  In my opinion, if I'm Packers brass, I'm not risking better odds of winning one game with putting my entire season on the line trotting out my injured 100 million dollar franchise altering QB.  

 

Then again, Rogers is stubborn and will no doubt want to be out there, and perhaps he will be with a significantly limited throwing window.  I could see it going either way.  We'll all find out soon enough, I would just advise people to be ready with a backup plan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m guessing if he plays he’ll have the mother of all braces/supports on that knee. He’s more likely to pick up some other injury taking shots bc he can’t protect himself than he is to further injure that knee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

 

This is not true - we all just witnessed Keanu Neal sprain his knee, return to the game, then tear the ACL in the same knee in one game, almost surely because of the previously sustained injury.

Ligament strains don't heal from time alone.  They heal from time and rest.  Re-aggravation or risk of other injury due to compensating are massive, as is the risk he gets something else hurt because he can't evade pressure.  It can absolutely get worse and it absolutely puts him at major risk of hurting something else.

 

Disagree with the "if he can walk he can play" narrative.  In my opinion, if I'm Packers brass, I'm not risking better odds of winning one game with putting my entire season on the line trotting out my injured 100 million dollar franchise altering QB.  

 

Then again, Rogers is stubborn and will no doubt want to be out there, and perhaps he will be with a significantly limited throwing window.  I could see it going either way.  We'll all find out soon enough, I would just advise people to be ready with a backup plan.

 

 

well we don't know if Neal had the exact same injury.  the report out of GB was that he came back because it was determined he couldn't do any more damage and it was a pain tolerance issue, add to it, Neal doesn't play teh same position, so the stress on the knee is different for both players.  if you noticed, Rodgers really didn't move much, he basically walked to position took the shotgun snap and threw the ball, he probably didin't take more than 10 steps in any direction in that second half during a play.  i couldn't see GB putting him out there if he has to play a full game against MINN that way, because he wouldn't be able to protect himself.  better to game plan and get kizer reps and hope for the best

Edited by Panthor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Danielle Hunter, Linval Joseph, Sheldon Richardson and Everson Griffen are hoping Rodgers plays. Do you really want to chance Rodgers season on those 4? Back to back seasons lost to the Vikings defense? Even the new Rodgers rule won't help him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was a weaker, out of conference team, he'd probably sit out. This is a rivalry in the same division, with greater implications. This is also a "revenge" game for him on a personal level, as the Vikings were the ones who injured him last year.

 

He'll play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Bigins said:

Danielle Hunter, Linval Joseph, Sheldon Richardson and Everson Griffen are hoping Rodgers plays. Do you really want to chance Rodgers season on those 4? Back to back seasons lost to the Vikings defense? Even the new Rodgers rule won't help him.

Rodgers is a competitor, I think the fact that it's the Vikings is another reason he'll want to be in the game and bringing it to them.

 

I just expect to see a game like we saw in the second half last week.  Blocking TEs (don't start Grahm) and quick passes from the pocket.  A Tom Brady type of game if you will... Except better.

Edited by Kyle87
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

 

I just expect to see a game like we saw in the second half last week.  Blocking TEs (don't start Grahm) and quick passes from the pocket.  A Tom Brady type of game if you will... Except better.

 

McCarthy literally never uses his TEs to help chip or block. His tackles are left on islands by themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, screaming_vultures said:

anyone else notice that they brought in Jimmy Graham, the worst blocking TE in the game perhaps, and AROD is already injured...

Green Bay so very rarely uses tight ends to block, your post is useless. I mean, they also brought in Lewis, the leagues best blocking tight end, and he played 7 snaps in a game they could've used extra protection. Simply put: the tight end in Green Bay is used strictly as a receiver. Any extra pass protection comes from their running backs (And full backs, but they didn't keep one this year)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

Someone give me better news than this useless day-to-day. 

Make sure you have internet access around 9:50 am on Sunday and your worries will disappear.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Make sure you have internet access around 9:50 am on Sunday and your worries will disappear.

 

Rough when you work overnight, I’ll be dreaming that I switched him out for FitzMagic

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.