• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
The Mad Dog

Jacksonville Jaguars 2018 Outlook

Posted (edited)

I see a bit of a let down here. They still are talented on defense, but even there they might not be as formidable as last years team due to the losses of MLB Pozluzsny and DB Colvin. Poz is being replaced by Myles Jack, who is very talented, but will be switching positions from SLB, where he see,ed like a great fit. This might have a 2 fold effect where you have 2 positions worse than they were last year, rather than just one, had you simply left Jack where he was and comfortable. 

On top of that,. their best DL. Calais Campbell had a career year, and is over age 30, so theres almost certainty to have a regression there. 

On top of that. they were relatively injury free on defense last year, so the odds of that happening again, are low. 

On offense, they return some of the same players from last year, however none of these with the exception of Fournette (arguable) are really much of anything special. The  much maligned QB, Bortles was given a new contract, but was given nothing really of an upgrade in weapons to work with, So if he falls on his face, I don't see how one can really say he was given much help to succeed by the front office. They let their 2 best WR simply walk away and I feel they both will be missed this season, as Robinson is very talented and Hurns always had the knack for coming up with the key catch when they needed it. Marqise Lee sucks and won't be that guy. Never has been for them. He lost the Jets game last year by dropping an easy catch in overtime on a 3rd down that would have placed the Jags in easy game winning FG territory. Both Hurns and Robinson were high career avg in YPA guys and they have no one on that roster that is proven high YPA now. Very little threat for chunk yardage through the air now. Some may say what about the rookie Chark? Well, for one he's a body catcher and they tend to not be that reliable in the NFL and two, he's only a rookie and I predict he'll initially struggle like most rookie wideouts in this league. Jax got lucky with what they got from Cole last year, I doubt that happens again with Chark. 

The schedule will be tougher and the division will be too, as the Texans likely won't be demolished with key injuries this year like last, and the Tennessee Titans got rid of their ball & chain hinderence, Mike Mularkey. So expect both of those teams to finish above the Jags in 2018. Leaving the Jags with a 3rd place finish.... and the doormat Colts might not be far behind either as they had a great draft/ offseason. 

Edited by The Mad Dog
  • Like 2

I think Jags finish, 2nd behind the Texans.

I think the Jags, Eagles and Texans are all going to be Top-5 defenses.

I just hate it when someone in the 6th round starts taking defenses. 

5 hours ago, The Mad Dog said:

This might have a 2 fold effect where you have 2 positions worse than they were last year

In no way is Myles Jack a downgrade from 33 year old Posluszny.

They let their 2 best WR simply walk away

Robinson didn't even play last year and they were a top 6 offense.  Hurns isn't their 2nd best WR, he's average at best.

They lost Hurns and Marcedes Lewis.  They added Moncrief, Chark, and Seferian-Jenkins.  They're in better shape at receiver than they were last year.  Not to mention that Westbrook and Cole were only rookies last year.

the Texans likely won't be demolished with key injuries this year like last

Let's slow down on the Texans hype a bit.  Watson is great for fantasy, but that's a totally different game.  He still makes mistakes and wasn't even very accurate last season.  Their offensive line is bottom 5 in the league.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Mad Dog said:

I see a bit of a let down here. They still are talented on defense, but even there they might not be as formidable as last years team due to the losses of MLB Pozluzsny and DB Colvin. Poz is being replaced by Myles Jack, who is very talented, but will be switching positions from SLB, where he see,ed like a great fit. This might have a 2 fold effect where you have 2 positions worse than they were last year, rather than just one, had you simply left Jack where he was and comfortable. 

On top of that,. their best DL. Calais Campbell had a career year, and is over age 30, so theres almost certainty to have a regression there. 

On top of that. they were relatively injury free on defense last year, so the odds of that happening again, are low. 

On offense, they return some of the same players from last year, however none of these with the exception of Fournette (arguable) are really much of anything special. The  much maligned QB, Bortles was given a new contract, but was given nothing really of an upgrade in weapons to work with, So if he falls on his face, I don't see how one can really say he was given much help to succeed by the front office. They let their 2 best WR simply walk away and I feel they both will be missed this season, as Robinson is very talented and Hurns always had the knack for coming up with the key catch when they needed it. Marqise Lee sucks and won't be that guy. Never has been for them. He lost the Jets game last year by dropping an easy catch in overtime on a 3rd down that would have placed the Jags in easy game winning FG territory. Both Hurns and Robinson were high career avg in YPA guys and they have no one on that roster that is proven high YPA now. Very little threat for chunk yardage through the air now. Some may say what about the rookie Chark? Well, for one he's a body catcher and they tend to not be that reliable in the NFL and two, he's only a rookie and I predict he'll initially struggle like most rookie wideouts in this league. Jax got lucky with what they got from Cole last year, I doubt that happens again with Chark. 

The schedule will be tougher and the division will be too, as the Texans likely won't be demolished with key injuries this year like last, and the Tennessee Titans got rid of their ball & chain hinderence, Mike Mularkey. So expect both of those teams to finish above the Jags in 2018. Leaving the Jags with a 3rd place finish.... and the doormat Colts might not be far behind either as they had a great draft/ offseason. 

Theres another Mike Mularkey in Jacksonville and his name is Doug Marrone.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:30 PM, The Mad Dog said:

This feels like it was written by someone with absolutely 0 insight into the Jaguars. 

• Haha 1

Bet the folks that spent a mid round pick on Jags D are happy.

• Sad 1

Just now, dmb3684 said:

Bet the folks that spent a mid round pick on Jags D are happy.

Sat them last week vs KC in favor of Cincinnati (great move), but I played them with confidence today (disastrous move). The Jags haven't been explosive this season like Chicago can be, but I figured they had a solid floor of 5 points. Oh, no ... no no no ... plus, the offense is so turnover-prone the defense winds up giving up 7-10 extra points per game. Can I get a refund of my 7th-round pick?

• Like 1

What's going on with the defense this year?  What's different than last year?  Personnel is the same, right?

Very pedestrian here today.

I am worried, half of my leagues I have them as DEF. 

Other half with Chicago.

This is why you don’t draft a defense before the last 2-3 rounds... the top scoring D/STs are VERY rarely the same in consecutive years.

• Like 1

they're just not creating turnovers like they did last year.  Other than the first game, they haven't done anything special

1 minute ago, 24HourPiffness said:

What are the chances one of them is Carson Wentz and they suspend him?

0 considering it says 4 Jaguars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, 24HourPiffness said:

What are the chances one of them is Carson Wentz and they suspend him?

Wentz is super religious .. doubt he would go out , butbyewh its Jags

This is why these dummies end up going broke. $40-f*cking -K bar tab! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

This is why these dummies end up going broke. $40-f*cking -K bar tab! 

They got arrested for trying to buy drinks with dollars?

CBS is reporting that is was approximately 50,000 pounds. That would be 64k in US dollars. I hope they enjoyed the drinks for that kind of moola

Brawl? LOL. I can't wait for all this to come out