Sign in to follow this  
RedDogNamedClippers

Collin Sexton 2018-2019 Season Outlook

On 10/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, Tekno Team 2000 said:

For fantasy right now, he is a scorer who gets to the line, but does not really provide steals, threes, and average assists for a point guard.  He is Derrick Rose like.

I'll go even further: he's Wiggins like.  Rose in his prime wasn't a great fantasy player compared to how good he was at basketball/carrying a team offensively.  But he was still a "good" fantasy player.  His second season he was ranked 97th in 9 cat but 62nd in 8 cat (probably higher if you're punting TOs in 9, as most people do).  His MVP season, he was 6 in 8 cat and 17 in 9 cat.  So still really good, just not where you'd think an MVP would be ranked.

Sexton has a lot of room for improvement, obviously, but right now he's not even "a good fantasy player, just not as good as in real life".  He's a bad fantasy player.  He scores and...he scores.  Sometimes.

Is it a good time to add Sexton now knowing that Cavs is going to tank the hell out of it?

Edited by csklmf

On 10/30/2018 at 7:33 PM, shirazmuz said:

Anyone watch the last few Cavs game? Is Sexton really this FT anchor of a player getting to the line at a good clip and hitting his attempts or a fluke? Wasn’t really drawing fouls in summer league or preseason. 

Getting to the line is his best skill at this stage of his career. He's actually not that great at finishing around the rim right now, but he's aggressive. He got to the line 7.6 times a game in college. Whether NBA refs will respect him this season is another story, but so far he is getting to the line consistently every game.

26 minutes ago, csklmf said:

Is it a good time to add Sexton now knowing that Cavs is going to tank the hell out of it?

Depends on who you are dropping of course. He will get the starting spot if Cavs trade George Hill and Jordan Clarkson. His ceiling this year - if Cavs trade Love, Hill, and Clarkson - is probably Westbrook's rookie stats: 15 pts on low FG% and high TO, 4-5 reb, 4-5 asts

Edited by bballshinobi

30 minutes ago, csklmf said:

no his fantasy numbers are absolute trash, he hurts you everywhere. he's averaging 3.4 assists per 36. he's a ******** point guard, lol. kid is unownable at this stage in his career. 

I picked him up before the Love injury. Since then he's been "Sexton" his way up into standard league discussions, especially as a low-end FT anchor. Please foul this guy more so we don't count the misses lol.

10 hours ago, panthers93 said:

no his fantasy numbers are absolute trash, he hurts you everywhere. he's averaging 3.4 assists per 36. he's a ******** point guard, lol. kid is unownable at this stage in his career. 

I think it is fair to say he is an option for specific team builds that correlate to his strengths and weaknesses. He is performing better than expected 7 games into his rookie season and his minutes are limited. It is fair to say he will improve in the second half and those minutes should only increase. Everyone knew his assists were not going to be a strong point of his game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I think it is fair to say he is an option for specific team builds that correlate to his strengths and weaknesses. He is performing better than expected 7 games into his rookie season and his minutes are limited. It is fair to say he will improve in the second half and those minutes should only increase. Everyone knew his assists were not going to be a strong point of his game. 

he doesn't really have any strengths though, he might be better from the line than expected but he won't be shooting 90% from the line all year. i think he can be a low end option with big minutes but i think his ceiling is very low in fantasy

Just now, panthers93 said:

he doesn't really have any strengths though, he might be better from the line than expected but he won't be shooting 90% from the line all year. i think he can be a low end option with big minutes but i think his ceiling is very low in fantasy

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think his upside is somewhat capped this year because his game isn't super fantasy friendly. But he is fearless and he is a competitor and he draws fouls. I look for FT attempts to see the athleticism a rookie guard brings to the table in the NBA. He is making a mark during his minutes. That said, there are so many crazy formats out there. Some people might need what he is flashing and extrapolate it out to a 32-35 minute role later in the year. 

• Like 2

By all means, please, trade some vets and allow him to grow as a player. I sincerely doubt that whoever has been saying he "doesn't know how to play" can do any better. I am holding onto him for a while because he gave my boy Josh Hart a run for his $ in the summer league, and Josh Hart is undeniably coming into his own. Sexton is a rookie more probably even more talent than Hart - just needs time and, for fuks sake, a team that has his back rather than throws him under the bus.

he's not good at all

he's like a dennis smith jr WITHOUT a jumpshot. undersized, average wingspan, poor court vision. he's just not good lol.

1 hour ago, fantasm said:

he's not good at all

he's like a dennis smith jr WITHOUT a jumpshot. undersized, average wingspan, poor court vision. he's just not good lol.

so he's like Dennis smith jr without a j, wingspan, court vision and an inch shorter for good measure? 

It's amazing that these "professional" scouts couldn't have figured out that he's not a good basketball player until after the draft, summer league, preseason, and a couple weeks of the regular season. It kind of blows my mind that they could be that inept.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

It's amazing that these "professional" scouts couldn't have figured out that he's not a good basketball player until after the draft, summer league, preseason, and a couple weeks of the regular season. It kind of blows my mind that they could be that inept.

It’s the same with any professional sport, they look at the guys who have the “tools” to be good, and upside.  They don’t often draft highly guys with limited athletic ability whom are maximizing their talent.  They don’t want the polished 5’11” player who shot 50/40/90 in college, excellent court vision, good passer with admittedly capped athletic upside.  They’d rather gamble on someone with more raw talent, athleticism, and upside but who isn’t polished at all.  Then they realize they can’t  polish a turd ? and the dude isn’t that good.  Maybe they overestimated his talent, maybe they don’t know how to get it out of him.  Oh well always next year.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

he is a good player who can get stats because he needs the ball with him. not gonna work in today's game

dropped him for an injured kris dunn on the wire

strong minutes and play in the first quarter...probably the only guy on the cavs in the first q that “knew” how to play

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, L3onD said:

strong minutes and play in the first quarter...probably the only guy on the cavs in the first q that “knew” how to play

Maybe the vets meant to say Sexton doesn't know how to tank

2 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

Cavs vets say he doesn't know how to play......I think the real question is, are we sure they know how to play? 

They know how to play, they just can’t lol

its like that saying: those who can’t do, teach

• Like 1

What’s his value with Hill out at least 2 weeks? Should get a ton of burn at PG and will help anyone who needs scoring...anyone think he can get some low end stocks or assists? Are 4 assists per game attainable in 33-35minutes?

Edited by jmoney23