Sign in to follow this  
MireLurker

German Marquez 2018 Outlook

23 year old righty on a decent Rockies team. Last 6 starts: 39.2 IP, 4 W,  8BB:45K, 2.95 ERA, 0.91 WHIP

When a guy is still that young, we can't dismiss it as a hot streak. Maybe he's figuring something out. Any Rockies fans care to chime in? I don't know anything about him aside from seeing him at the top of my FA pool for a while now.

High risk/reward guy right now. The home/away splits were drastic, but he's had 2 excellent starts in a row at Coors. I'm not sure how to feel about his upcoming matchups.

I'm rolling him out there, fingers crossed. Pitts did put up a 10 spot last night, so a little nervous that their bats came alive, but he's been tossing well, so trusting the momentum. 

last 3 starts (2 @ coors): 20.2 IP, 1-1, 3 QS, 18 H, 5 W, 7 ER, 27 K

2-road start week (@ HOU, @ ATL)

for the season, his xFIP (3.55) is a full run lower and his FIP (4.15) is significantly lower than his ERA (4.69).  add in a 9.7 K/9 and a top-30 swinging strike percent (10.9) around the range of Jose Berrios, Zack Greinke, Kevin Gausman, Corey Kluber (!)... there might be something to see here

I'm may be rolling him out in a weekly league for the 2 away starts next week. Isn't his road ERA close to 3? K's are there too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

He’s been excellent.  It is so strange seeing the Rockies this season with mostly competent pitching, even at home.  

10 minutes ago, mi26 said:

Thoughts vs cardinals? Is he a good pitcher to grab for ROS

Home - 6.42 ERA 12 GS

Away - 2.89 ERA 13 GS

I wouldn't start him at home.

He's been better at home lately. Also I believe he's @ SD his next start.  So might want to grab him just to have him on your bench ready for that one.  His ROS schedule lines up a lot of home games though.  It sucks for this kid because if he pitched anywhere else he could be a top 20 type with huge amount of hype around him. 

6 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

He's been better at home lately. Also I believe he's @ SD his next start.  So might want to grab him just to have him on your bench ready for that one.  His ROS schedule lines up a lot of home games though.  It sucks for this kid because if he pitched anywhere else he could be a top 20 type with huge amount of hype around him. 

Last 5 starts 4.97 ERA at home.  If you want to really nitpick then you can just look at his last 3 home starts but thats a really small sample that should never be used.  Overall since the beginning of July he's been a different pitcher though.  He's been the guy I saw him becoming which is why I was drafting him late on a lot of teams.  Ended up dropping him and picking him back up when he began turning it around in July.  He's no longer available in any leagues.

Still hate Rockies pitchers nmw.

Anyone starting tonight at home against StL? His last home start wasn't great, but he was quite good in his previous two home starts against Oakland and Arizona. 

51 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Anyone starting tonight at home against StL? His last home start wasn't great, but he was quite good in his previous two home starts against Oakland and Arizona. 

I don't have much choice, so I'm rolling him out.  

Since the ASB:

2.89 ERA

1.05 WHIP

10.41 K/9

2.31 BB/9

29.0 K%

6.5 BB%

0.38 HR/9

• Like 3

SSS but his last four home starts have been encouraging. The Pirates got 12 baserunners in 6 innings, but only three runs, and that was his worst. Overall in his last 4 starts, he has a 2.36 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 26.2 ip with 35 K. 

He's been pretty rough at home this year until recently...carrying a 5.77 ERA and 1.62 WHIP in 2018. But in the future, if he can combine his 2017 home stats (4.59/1.26) with his 2018 road stats (2.89/1.00)...that makes for a pretty solid young pitcher. I know on the surface, it seems like cherry-picking stats. But when dealing with a 23 year old kid, I think we're looking for growth and potential growth in the future. And when that kid is pitching home games in Colorado, you're looking for any hope for him that you can find. LOL. 

Edited by Flyman75

I just think he maybe learned how to pitch in Coors or to just trust his stuff and throw.  Don't know enough about pitching to know what he throws and if it's less impacted by the thin air in Coors than other pitches or if he changes his approach in Coors, but whatever he's doing now it's working.

At best though he's a must start on the road and then match-up dependent at home.  Probably the most you could hope for for any SP for the Rox in Fantasy. 

He's in San Diego for his next start. 

Slider is sick! Curve is a damn good pitch, too. First time sitting down watching this guy pitch tonight, though it was the Padres, this dude has some good stuff. I was very impressed! Didn't see many changeups, but the ones I did see, were very good ones. The key here is the arsenal  IMO, no way you can sit on his fastball with his above average secondary pitches. Keeps the hitter guessing.

Marquez had a terrible April...decent May...terrible June. But from June 30 until now, this guy has pitched 74.2 innings with a 2.53 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, and 88/15 K/BB ratio. That includes 4 home starts and 7 road starts. In his 4 home starts, he's thrown 26.2 innings of 2.36-ERA/1.08-WHIP ball. 

Kinda sad that there are so few posts in his thread. 

• Like 1

This guy has been pitching like an ace lately.  [Removed Cool Story]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Anyone rolling him out there today?  The only hesitation is Coors, obviously, but man this guy has been good lately. 

18 minutes ago, #1Stunna said:

Anyone rolling him out there today?  The only hesitation is Coors, obviously, but man this guy has been good lately. 

Yeah, think it's a good start today.  The Giants lineup is pretty much AAA at this point.