Sign in to follow this  
MireLurker

German Marquez 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, #1Stunna said:

Anyone rolling him out there today?  The only hesitation is Coors, obviously, but man this guy has been good lately. 

 

2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Yeah, think it's a good start today.  The Giants lineup is pretty much AAA at this point.

Vegas agrees. I don't think I've ever seen a team at Coors with a total at just 4.00 runs. That's the Giants right now having the worst lineup in baseball basically. If you have him full steam ahead and I wouldn't think twice about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so do we throw the home road splits out the window and how bad hes been vs AZ with how great he has been?

gave up 5, 2, 5 and 4 runs in his 4 starts vs AZ but the last 2 starts vs AZ went b2b starts so AZ got to him in the 2nd start after he threw up 8ks and 2 runs the start before

 

everything in me says sit but he has 7 sp1 starts in a row

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly there was a mechanics tweak about 12 games ago.  I saw it mentioned in passing, not really explained.  I mean it could be as simple as the person assuming there was one as an easy explanation.

 

If there is a mechanics explanation or whether a lightbulb went off in this guys head that changed his mental approach - either way he has been B-A-N-A-N-A-S in his last ten games -

 

10 games | 68IP | 20ER | 4HR | 16BB | 89K! | 2.63 ERA | 1.00 WHIP | 2.09 BAA

 

And in those 10 games, 5 were home starts at Coors against Oakland, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Fran and Arizona.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marquez started tonight's game off (against an anemic Phillies lineup, for what it's worth) with 8 Ks, tying an MLB record:

 

image.thumb.png.670e195892bd2b62116d4a1025a896cb.png

 

Then he "only" finished with 11 over 7 IP.   What a revelation he's been.

The early 2019 industry mocks have him at 115, around guys like Ray, Tanaka, and Mikolas.  That seems both really cheap and a lot more aggressive than I expected.  He just set the franchise record for Ks in a season tonight, and the stuff looks ace-level, so I'm wondering if we'll see a Luis Castillo-ish inflation of his cost heading into next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GM finishes his regular season striking out 11 or more in 5 of his last 6 starts, posting a 2.16 ERA and 0.86 WHIP over that stretch (3 at home, 3 away). Pretty impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's say the Rockies are one game back of a wild card on Sunday or tied for the division lead...

 

Do they start him on 3 days rest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Do they start him on 3 days rest?

 

Nah, Freeland has a 2.84 ERA. Not as dominant, but definitely a guy you can roll out there in a win or go home game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

 

Nah, Freeland has a 2.84 ERA. Not as dominant, but definitely a guy you can roll out there in a win or go home game. 

 

But Freeland is scheduled to pitch Friday, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point hopefully the Rockies don't need to worry about Sunday and can just start Marquez in the WC game on Tuesday (assuming they don't win the division). Otherwise you'd be looking at Freeland being the one going on short rest for the WC game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Marquez started tonight's game off (against an anemic Phillies lineup, for what it's worth) with 8 Ks, tying an MLB record:

 

image.thumb.png.670e195892bd2b62116d4a1025a896cb.png

 

Then he "only" finished with 11 over 7 IP.   What a revelation he's been.

The early 2019 industry mocks have him at 115, around guys like Ray, Tanaka, and Mikolas.  That seems both really cheap and a lot more aggressive than I expected.  He just set the franchise record for Ks in a season tonight, and the stuff looks ace-level, so I'm wondering if we'll see a Luis Castillo-ish inflation of his cost heading into next season.

 

Coors, just Coors.

 

Fun fact: The Rockies currently have the 4th worst Road OPS in baseball, behind even the San Diego Padres.  

 

Rockies have a terrible team in the best hitter's park in baseball.  I wouldn't reach for Marquez.  I don't think there's ever been a pitcher at Coors with a Sub 3.00 ERA in over 200 IP.

 

I mean I love him, he's been a miracle for me since Sale went down, but let's not get carried away.

Edited by KingJoffrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

 

Coors, just Coors.

 

Fun fact: The Rockies currently have the 4th worst Road OPS in baseball, behind even the San Diego Padres.  

 

Rockies have a terrible team in the best hitter's park in baseball.  I wouldn't reach for Marquez.  I don't think there's ever been a pitcher at Coors with a Sub 3.00 ERA in over 200 IP.

 

I mean I love him, he's been a miracle for me since Sale went down, but let's not get carried away.

 

Weird to think the Rockies are one of the worst offenses in baseball by some measures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I don't think there's ever been a pitcher at Coors with a Sub 3.00 ERA in over 200 IP.

 

It's happened once before. Ubaldo Jimenez in 2010, when he went 19-8 with a 2.88 ERA in 221 innings. 

 

But it might very well happen again come Saturday. Freeland is at 196.1 IP and a 2.84 ERA currently. Rockies pitching in general the past couple months has been lights out, which is impressive to me when considering Marquez and Senzatela are both 23 and Freeland is 25, with all three only being in their second seasons. Jon Gray is 26 and in his third season, and Anderson is 28 and in his third year as well. For all the hate Rockies' hitters get for playing at Coors...then I feel like this pitching staff deserves a lot of extra love for what they've been able to do pitching at Coors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its amazing that the record for many to start a game is 8

 

to think you k the first 8 guys then the pitcher is the first one to put the ball in play, baseball is odd like that

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this