kmac771

D’angelo Russell 2018-2019 Season Outlook

7 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Confirmed a bust? He's far from a bust. What?

And the gull of putting Fultz in the same sentence lol.

You have 2 PG's that play better than him in the rotation! I'm probably much more pessimistic than you but if the Nets were trying to compete this year, I'd bet D'Russ would be super nervous right now. 

Ok Fultz is much worse lol . Just that every time I think bust I think Fultz.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

You have 2 PG's that play better than him in the rotation! I'm probably much more pessimistic than you but if the Nets were trying to compete this year, I'd bet D'Russ would be super nervous right now. 

Ok Fultz is much worse lol . Just that every time I think bust I think Fultz.

Not gonna lie and say I'm not a D'lo fanboy because I am. But what? They definitely can take one of the last seeds in the East between 37 to 40 wins. Not good by any means, but not a tank team either.

I think we both can agree on the latter. Fultz just flat out forget how to basketball lol.

15 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Confirmed a bust? He's far from a bust. What?

And the gull of putting Fultz in the same sentence lol.

Is he providing the value you would expect from a second overall pick? Has he ever?

He's in his fourth year now, someone drafted that high should be expected to be a much more consistent and better player by now.

I wouldn't call him a bust yet myself but based on where he was taken it's not really that much of a reach.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Not gonna lie and say I'm not a D'lo fanboy because I am. But what? They definitely can take one of the last seeds in the East between 37 to 40 wins. Not good by any means, but not a tank team either.

I think we both can agree on the latter. Fultz just flat out forget how to basketball lol.

37-40 wasn't enough to qualify for playoffs last year, doubt it will be enough to qualify this year either. They should be primarily focusing on player development but considering Dloading's contract is expiring they won't hesitate to demote his role if they don't see him as part of their future. 

The coaching staff is not the problem with DLo.  I drafted DLo, I am a fan of his game, and still believe he can breakout. 

With him, his problem is passion, not talent.  He has talent.  People can say he is a little slow, but he is crafty and has a good jumpshot.  He can score and his passing ability is good.  He definitely is not a complete bum or a bust.  Just look at some of his really good games over his career (like the 40 point game he had his last year with the Lakers).  Or his first 12 games he had with the Nets last year before he got hurt where it really looked like the breakout was happening.  The dude can play. 

Now LeVert's ascension might have a little to do with his up and down moments this year. But overall, the problem is he is too lackadaisical on the court sometimes. This is why he throws dumb passes, shoots dumb shots, etc.  I don't even know if it is a case of bad court awareness because some of his passes are nice and it shows he has good vision to be a good PG if he puts it all together.  I just think he is sometimes lazy and thinks he can coast instead of working hard all the time.  His lackadaisical attitude is holding him back, not the coaching.  They know he has talent.  Hopefully he can get a fire lit under him to be more consistent.     

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

How are you critiquing the coaching staff?? D Lo is a losing player, they see that. Dinwidd is just a better player that fits what the team is trying to do. I watch the Nets a lot cause I own Levert and D Lo is literally just out there trying to get his. His dumb iso crap where he stands at the top of the key and jacks up a terrible 3 pointer happens way too much. D Lo is slow as ishh and has one of the loser IQ’s in b ball. The coaching staff sees this, it’s not hard. If you own D Lo lower your expectations greatly and by all means don’t watch the games. The guy just sucks. 

still 22 years old bro
this situation remember me when the Nets played a guy named Kilpatick with a young Levert sitting nailed to the bench (it was 2 seasons ago..)
now Kilpatrick is in GLeague and Levert is so good but maybe in another organisation he could be this kind of good player already last season..

Same situation here.. Dinwiddie is a good role player and maybe fits better than D'Lo now

But winning is not the goal of the Nets this season
They just have to develop their young core, doesn't matter if they loose every game (they loose with Dinwiddie too)
they should give Levert, D'Lo, RHJ, Allen 30-35 minutes per game 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

Tryinh to move Levert now when the week you discuss is like 3 months away is kind of stupid no?? Why not wait two months and than try to move him closer to playoff time?? You got Levert late so I don’t get why ur worrying about something 3 months from now. 

I didn't get him that late. I was all in on the breakout and took him in the 8th round. I am looking to move now because he has been amazing so far... I agree it can and should continue but why not try now? Owners in my leagues also fully are aware of playoff schedules and details like this and as it gets closer to playoff time they will consider that more deeply, so if I try now the poor schedule probably won't be on their mind as much. Also, I am a bit cocky and trust my skills to make playoffs (have never missed it in this league in 8 years straight), so I do focus on playoffs even early in a H2H season. 

I respect every opinion but here is mine. Anyone who watches the games of Nets and don't realize D Lo ain't good enough is either ignorant or in denial. Dinwiddie is a solid rotation player in the NBA, not a starter caliber player though. Still way better than Russ. Russ has almost non existent improvement since his rookie year.

As far as his so called high potential... HE IS NOT ATHLETIC (actually he is pretty slow for a guard), HE IS PLAYING THE PLAY-MAKER POSITION AND EVEN THE SHOOTING GUARDS OF NETS HAVE BETTER DECISION MAKING SKILL IN PLAY MAKING and last but not least THE COACHING STAFF ARE TREATING HIM ******** GREAT. Basketball IQ and athleticism cant be taught, so ... do not hope much if you think there is plenty room for improvement.

The Nets coaching stuff is the best thing that ever happened in this "until recently doomed" organization. They have clear vision and heading towards the right direction which is youth development, the right way ( do not watch Phoenix this year or Sacramento last year),  combined with winning culture and a fun to watch game style. D Lo receiving 28 mins per game is a generous present  from the coaching staff because 2 years now he has not shown he deserved it. I know he started torching hot last year but that means jack s---.

Fantasy and real life basketball should be separated and not get confused. Real life Basketball affects fantasy (box scores). For example if a player doesn't get touches or PT (usage in general) there are reasons behind it that you will never see if you don't watch Basketball instead of only looking at box scores or watch a game live just waiting for the stats to happen. 

However it certainly doesn't work the other way around. Box scores and fantasy stat lines does NOT affect the decisions of coaching staff. There are deep analytics in which they take advise but them have nothing to do with plain fantasy stat lines.

Russell is a solid fantasy player but his upside is caped because he is a mediocre player in reality. I am not hating on Russell, actually i truly respect him as a player and he is a young talent playing in the NBA, member of a nice organization of a great market. Surely he is more of a success story career wise than i am even though i am older than him. Moreover, i did drafted him this year which means i did believed somehow he has untapped upside. That is not the case though. I am sure he would have a better fantasy year if his usage went up. But you could argue the same thing for every single player in the NBA. Just because D Lo would produce bigger numbers if he had more PT and touches doesn't mean he should or that he deserves them. He is simply overrated.

If you are ignorant, just skip this post and keep bunging your head on the walls because some lousy coaching stuff is restricting your fantasy stud break out year (again). No offence, honestly.

If you are just in denial though, like i was, due to wishful thinking, it is still early to act smart. D Lo is fitting in very specific builds (punt T/O and fg %), if your team build does not fit that description then try to find the other owner who thinks highly of his upside but did not pull the trigger sooner than you in the draft. Try to snatch something that fits your build or at least someone around his ADP. In no way though, do not hope and expect THE BREAK OUT YEAR. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manos A said:

I respect every opinion but here is mine. Anyone who watches the games of Nets and don't realize D Lo ain't good enough is either ignorant or in denial. Dinwiddie is a solid rotation player in the NBA, not a starter caliber player though. Still way better than Russ. Russ has almost non existent improvement since his rookie year.

As far as his so called high potential... HE IS NOT ATHLETIC (actually he is pretty slow for a guard), HE IS PLAYING THE PLAY-MAKER POSITION AND EVEN THE SHOOTING GUARDS OF NETS HAVE BETTER DECISION MAKING SKILL IN PLAY MAKING and last but not least THE COACHING STAFF ARE TREATING HIM ******** GREAT. Basketball IQ and athleticism cant be taught, so ... do not hope much if you think there is plenty room for improvement.

The Nets coaching stuff is the best thing that ever happened in this "until recently doomed" organization. They have clear vision and heading towards the right direction which is youth development, the right way ( do not watch Phoenix this year or Sacramento last year),  combined with winning culture and a fun to watch game style. D Lo receiving 28 mins per game is a generous present  from the coaching staff because 2 years now he has not shown he deserved it. I know he started torching hot last year but that means jack s---.

Fantasy and real life basketball should be separated and not get confused. Real life Basketball affects fantasy (box scores). For example if a player doesn't get touches or PT (usage in general) there are reasons behind it that you will never see if you don't watch Basketball instead of only looking at box scores or watch a game live just waiting for the stats to happen. 

However it certainly doesn't work the other way around. Box scores and fantasy stat lines does NOT affect the decisions of coaching staff. There are deep analytics in which they take advise but them have nothing to do with plain fantasy stat lines.

Russell is a solid fantasy player but his upside is caped because he is a mediocre player in reality. I am not hating on Russell, actually i truly respect him as a player and he is a young talent playing in the NBA, member of a nice organization of a great market. Surely he is more of a success story career wise than i am even though i am older than him. Moreover, i did drafted him this year which means i did believed somehow he has untapped upside. That is not the case though. I am sure he would have a better fantasy year if his usage went up. But you could argue the same thing for every single player in the NBA. Just because D Lo would produce bigger numbers if he had more PT and touches doesn't mean he should or that he deserves them. He is simply overrated.

If you are ignorant, just skip this post and keep bunging your head on the walls because some lousy coaching stuff is restricting your fantasy stud break out year (again). No offence, honestly.

If you are just in denial though, like i was, due to wishful thinking, it is still early to act smart. D Lo is fitting in very specific builds (punt T/O and fg %), if your team build does not fit that description then try to find the other owner who thinks highly of his upside but did not pull the trigger sooner than you in the draft. Try to snatch something that fits your build or at least someone around his ADP. In no way though, do not hope and expect THE BREAK OUT YEAR. 

stopped reading there. couldn't be more wrong about that, Russell is much better than Dinwiddie...if you watch a lot of Nets games and don't see that then there isn't anything I can say to change your opinion. it's fine to have a different opinion but I think every player in the NBA, if you asked them who is the better player between those two, would say Dlo. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't care who's better right now
Brooklyn doesn't want to win
Dinwiddie hasn't got that long term talent, maybe neither D'Lo's got it
maybe
Dinwiddie is not good for the Nets future for sure so why taking minutes from Russell?!?
no sense

5 minutes ago, richg24 said:

stopped reading there. couldn't be more wrong about that, Russell is much better than Dinwiddie...if you watch a lot of Nets games and don't see that then there isn't anything I can say to change your opinion. it's fine to have a different opinion but I think every player in the NBA, if you asked them who is the better player between those two, would say Dlo. 

A comparison of those two, or a comparison between D Lo and Levert does not serve this topic/thread in any way. I don not care to argue about who is better or worst, but as you said i respect you having your own opinion and standing by it.

The Dinwiddie comparison should not prevent from reading the rest of my post because it has nothing to do with it. However i do think it was the right call not to read it for other reasons. If you don't want to read or listen to some people's opinion it is ok, but then again you can not say that you disagree with them.

P.S. D Lo might prove that he is better than i think he is, outplay Dinwiddie or even Levert somehow, but i literally could not ask every player in the League their opinion on the subject, so i can not honestly know what they would say. The same goes for you i think:lol:    

It could also be that the Net's style of play is not great for him or he hasn't found his place in it. I noticed he tries to pass to his team mates fast but the passes are not great because he doesn't put the defense in a position where they have to recover. That is, he doesn't give his teammates an advantage with the pass as much as LeVert can. He is in the playmaker's position but he might be actually catch and shoot guy with handles. He just doesn't know it yet.

However, I still think he is a bit slow like what other people think and his IQ is not there. 

Edited by rob0403

15 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

It could also be that the Net's style of play is not great for him or he hasn't found his place in it. I noticed he tries to pass to his team mates fast but the passes are not great because he doesn't put the defense in a position where they have to recover. That is, he doesn't give his teammates an advantage with the pass as much as LeVert can. He is in the playmaker's position but he might be actually catch and shoot guy with handles. He just doesn't know it yet.

That is a very nice observation. I am not sure about Russel being a catch and shoot guy because one if his better qualities (if not the best) is his vision. Taking the ball away from his hands deprives Russell working his passing skills. It is obvious that Levert is playing better and fits better in this team/system and that is mainly because Levert's true offensive weapon is his lethal crossover and P/R with Allen. He is exploiting the opposing defenses with drives to the rim creating open shots for the peripheral snipers or lobs for Fro. Russell does not have found a consisten way to exploit defenses to rely upon. Maybe it is the Nets' system that does not suit him but as i said earlier bad Bball I.Q., lack of athleticism and wrong mentality, are red flags for any player's potential.

• Like 1

D'lo is putting up numbers identical to what I expected, except that LeVert is taking about 3 shots per game that I expected Russell to get. I don't really understand what everyone is complaining about, especially with regards to his field goal percentage. What exactly were you expecting?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

D'lo is putting up numbers identical to what I expected, except that LeVert is taking about 3 shots per game that I expected Russell to get. I don't really understand what everyone is complaining about, especially with regards to his field goal percentage. What exactly were you expecting?

I'm more focused on his minutes and assists which have been yoyoing...

Mins fluctuating between 22 and 27. Assists -  8, 4, 6, 2, 6, 3, 6, 3 - somehow alternating 2/3 and 6.

Needs to consistently get the dimes rolling to solidify his value and perhaps even earn more play time

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chaiway said:

I'm more focused on his minutes and assists which have been yoyoing...

Mins fluctuating between 22 and 27. Assists -  8, 4, 6, 2, 6, 3, 6, 3 - somehow alternating 2/3 and 6.

Needs to consistently get the dimes rolling to solidify his value and perhaps even earn more play time

Not really, point ratio is fine with less turnovers as well. This is only an issue if you were punting turnovers. The minutes, again, not far off from what you should be expecting. He's mixing in good games with bad so the consistency shouldn't even matter for H2H. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Not really, point ratio is fine with less turnovers as well. This is only an issue if you were punting turnovers. The minutes, again, not far off from what you should be expecting. He's mixing in good games with bad so the consistency shouldn't even matter for H2H. 

"should be expecting" is a tough one as I think many of us definitely expected him to get more minutes this year considering he's been healthy so far. 

On a different note, they may have an actual shot at the playoffs considering how bad Wash has been. Still a young team that's getting used to the pieces - LeVert&Dudley as starters, 3 guard lineups, and now DMC coming back

• Like 1

I hope Atkinson continues to limit his minutes, it's one way to teach the kid to stop doing DUMB s*** on the court. I believe better shot selection is what'll make him a better player. Passes that led to turnovers I have no problem with since he's just such a great passer. I'd rather have his minutes limited than be stuck with 38-40% fg throughout the entire season. 

I really want to love me some D'Angelo Russell, but he's making it so hard. A disciplined D'Lo is what I'm dreaming for as a fan.

• Like 2

Meanwhile... D lo had a really solid game last night in just 26 mins of PT. The bad news is even when he is hot, the coaching stuff does not trust him during crunch time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manos A said:

Meanwhile... D lo had a really solid game last night in just 26 mins of PT. The bad news is even when he is hot, the coaching stuff does not trust him during crunch time. 

You can't blame Atkinson.  I mean, you can blame him for a lot of s--- (and I do, from a fantasy perspective), but not that.  D'Angelo shows flashes- that's why he's not E'twaun Moore.  But if he were consistently good instead of just flashes of it, we'd draft him where we drafted Jrue.  Instead we drafted him where we drafted like...Dario Saric (well, I avoid Saric like the plague, but where other people did).

But as I said, those flashes are also why this thread is so controversial.  No one bumps a Harden thread until he gets hurt.  Likewise, no one bumps a Robin Lopez thread.  The guys who have ups and downs are one of the main draws of conversation (the other being waiver darlings).

• Like 1

All,

Please stop the Kobe and Lakers tangent in this thread, immediately. Consider this a warning for all that have sidetracked the discussion from those looking to discuss D'angelo Russell who plays for the Brooklyn Nets. Russell has been on the Nets for over a year. If you need to continue your Lakers/Kobe discussion take it to PM's. There is a dedicated Lakers team thread. Keep all discussion in this thread focused on Russell. 

I know everyone is passionate about sports and their teams, but we need to be respectful. Please understand that Russell is polarizing because his game is what it is. Let's respect that. I think below bold sums it up pretty perfectly. 

56 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

You can't blame Atkinson.  I mean, you can blame him for a lot of s--- (and I do, from a fantasy perspective), but not that.  D'Angelo shows flashes- that's why he's not E'twaun Moore.  But if he were consistently good instead of just flashes of it, we'd draft him where we drafted Jrue.  Instead we drafted him where we drafted like...Dario Saric (well, I avoid Saric like the plague, but where other people did).

But as I said, those flashes are also why this thread is so controversial.  No one bumps a Harden thread until he gets hurt.  Likewise, no one bumps a Robin Lopez thread.  The guys who have ups and downs are one of the main draws of conversation (the other being waiver darlings).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let’s get back on topic? What kind of targets are Russell owners looking to acquire in a trade? I’m not a fan of Brooklyn’s playoff schedule weeks 22-24 and his inconsistent play is likely to continue so a move while he’s playing solid makes sense. I had an offer out for Rubio and an offer out for Ingles straight up and the managers are considering based off the games this weekend. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Supersonics said:

Let’s get back on topic? What kind of targets are Russell owners looking to acquire in a trade? I’m not a fan of Brooklyn’s playoff schedule weeks 22-24 and his inconsistent play is likely to continue so a move while he’s playing solid makes sense. I had an offer out for Rubio and an offer out for Ingles straight up and the managers are considering based off the games this weekend. 

Both Rubio and Ingles are solid return value for Russell but you should decide based on the build of your team. Considering overall value I would give the edge over to Rubio because he usually flip the switch to early round value post break