• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Spyplane

Mikal Bridges 2018-19 Season Outlook

Posted (edited)

The Suns traded two draft picks to acquire him. The second pick is unprotected and likely to be a top five lotto choice, that's how high they are on him.

Pluses:

+ He shot 44% from downtown last year and we're talking high volume.

+ His release is clocked on average as faster than Klay Thompson's.

+ He releases the ball at a very high point like Paul George and Kevin Durant so he's not at risk of being blocked.

+ He's a lock down defender who's been tasked in college to disrupt whoever is going off no matter it was a PG, SG, or forward; he can guard four positions. It gives him versatility and extra appeal to be on the floor.

+ He has a 7'2" reach, which means steals & blocks, baby.

+ He sports great athleticism.

+ He's consistent.

Negatives:

- He doesn't have a handle yet so he's catch & shoot 3D to start his career.

- He's going to need to compete for minutes against 33 year mentor old Trevor Ariza,  also against Josh Jackson, TJ Warren, Chriss & Bender.

Overall:

He has a polished game and brings things the Suns desperately need. They proved that desperation by the huge price they paid to get him. He's likely to start as a 6th man and probably work his way into being the starting 4 by the home stretch. Chriss & Bender aren't real competition. Warren is likely to be moved by the deadline. He's a value pick in dynasty and someone to put on your watch list in re-draft.

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

He's going to need to compete for minutes against 33 year mentor old Trevor Ariza,  also against Josh Jackson, TJ Warren, Chriss & Bender.

I traded back into my dynasty draft to get him. I can see him putting up 15/5/2 with 2 3s and close to a steal and block as soon as December or January. I think he is better than Jackson right now. Could definitely be starting by the end of the year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, benjwils said:

I traded back into my dynasty draft to get him. I can see him putting up 15/5/2 with 2 3s and close to a steal and block as soon as December or January. I think he is better than Jackson right now. Could definitely be starting by the end of the year.

He has different strengths than Jackson. Don't forget Jackson played at an all-start level for the last 20 games last season. I think you'll see them start together at the 3 and 4 by some point. That's some serious defense to make up for Booker's & Ayton's defensive deficiencies. 

• Like 1

I feel like Trevor Ariza is a good player comparison for him, seems like the perfect 3 and d player. I feel a lot of steals and 3s are coming for future fantasy owners.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greatestmetfan said:

I feel like Trevor Ariza is a good player comparison for him, seems like the perfect 3 and d player. I feel a lot of steals and 3s are coming for future fantasy owners.

I could see Mikal learning from Ariza for a few months and then the Suns flipping Ariza to a contender for assets, with Mikal sliding into to a starting role.

I like his game in real life more than fantasy right now. Efficient. Solid defender. I wish he was on a team without that much wing depth. I just don't know if he can be an 'alpha' type of player but that's asking too much at this point. He's someone whose progress and opportunity I will closely monitor throughout the season but I don't necessarily think he's on top of my watchlist.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheOneAboveAll said:

I like his game in real life more than fantasy right now. Efficient. Solid defender. I wish he was on a team without that much wing depth. I just don't know if he can be an 'alpha' type of player but that's asking too much at this point. He's someone whose progress and opportunity I will closely monitor throughout the season but I don't necessarily think he's on top of my watchlist.

For him to have top 100 value all he needs to do is catch & shoot on offense and play his brand of defense. He has two endearing qualities the Suns will desperately need: marksmanship and effective, versatile defense. There's no way the game can play him off the court. He's the glue. 

Way too many SF/PF in PHO right now IMO (Jackson, Ariza, Bridges, Warren, Bender, Chriss).  Not to mention, Booker and Ayton will be the high usage guys for PHO.  Tough to see Bridges making a significant fantasy impact unless some trades/injuries happen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Way too many SF/PF in PHO right now IMO (Jackson, Ariza, Bridges, Warren, Bender, Chriss).  Not to mention, Booker and Ayton will be the high usage guys for PHO.  Tough to see Bridges making a significant fantasy impact unless some trades/injuries happen.

Define significant. I'm in a league where 240 players are rostered. Bridges at worst is top 180. Bridges doesn't need to worry about Bender and Chriss, they need to worry about Bridges.

10 hours ago, benjwils said:

I could see Mikal learning from Ariza for a few months and then the Suns flipping Ariza to a contender for assets, with Mikal sliding into to a starting role.

i do believe on this also. this kid is really good to be playing on the teens. We've been so hyped with chriss for the last 3 years but he's really a total trash. As for bender,  he is what he is and i see the darko-kinda bust on him. 

The crappy thing is that Warren is signed for 4 years, Bender and Chriss 3 years each at reasonable salaries.  I think they like Warren as a bench scorer long term.  Bender or Chriss could feasibly be moved if another team thinks there's still moldable upside...

For the following 2019-2020 we could see something like 

Okobo

Booker

Bridges

Jackson

Ayton

with Warren being a high usage scorer off the bench, and Bender/Chriss coming off the bench.  Granted that lineup could happen this year if Ariza gets moved and Bridges develops.  

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

The crappy thing is that Warren is signed for 4 years, Bender and Chriss 3 years each at reasonable salaries.  I think they like Warren as a bench scorer long term.  Bender or Chriss could feasibly be moved if another team thinks there's still moldable upside...

For the following 2019-2020 we could see something like 

Okobo

Booker

Bridges

Jackson

Ayton

with Warren being a high usage scorer off the bench, and Bender/Chriss coming off the bench.  Granted that lineup could happen this year if Ariza gets moved and Bridges develops.  

Maaan... Igor said Knight is starting PG... And IMO Warren is likely to be traded at some point during the season...

Edited by Stefan

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Maaan... Igor said Knight is starting PG... And IMO Warren is likely to be traded at some point during the season...

Knight is a breakout/comeback candidate.

I see Okobo doing little this season of significance. He doesn't do well in analytics and he's going to be playing the most difficult position on the court.

Edited by Spyplane
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Knight is a breakout/comeback candidate.

I see Okobo doing little this season of significance. He doesn't do well in analytics and he's going to be playing the most difficult position on the court.

Sure, Knight is easily one of the best late round flyers you can possibly draft this year.  Okobo might be a later/sneaky dynasty play that pans out in 2-3 years after Knight's contract runs out or his body gives out.  

• Like 1

In my 16 team dynasty league I had the 15th pick for this years rookie draft. The best available were Mikal Bridges and Mitchell Robinson.  I took Bridges. What is everyones opinion on his outlook ,playing time , stat profile etc. What are your expectations? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rainsford said:

In my 16 team dynasty league I had the 15th pick for this years rookie draft. The best available were Mikal Bridges and Mitchell Robinson.  I took Bridges. What is everyones opinion on his outlook ,playing time , stat profile etc. What are your expectations? 

I don’t think he will do much this year with the rotation in PHX unless a few forwards get hurt but in a dynasty you could do worse, and I don’t think Mitchell Robinson has a better path to serviceability than Bridges so don’t think you messed up rheir either.

Looking at the Suns roster though with Anderson & Ariza joining a team that finally wants to win, Booker occasionally playing SF, the team wanting to see what Bender can do before making a decision in his future, and T.J. Warren being an underrated SF/PF, and ofc Josh Jackson being a big part of the Now and future of the team...all that combined with the fact that there’s really no C minutes available with Ayton/Holmes/Chandler and the occasional couple small ball minutes for Bender/Anderson I really don’t see Bridges doing much. That being said if he kills it in camp, practice, and pre-season he coulD carve out a small role and from there, as KG once said, “nothing is impossible”...

Edited by krupocin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The talent is there for sure, and they are heavily invested in him.  He's basically their 2019 first round pick.  In 2-3 years a top 50 finish wouldn't surprise me at all.  Me personally I like Robinson better.  Bigs who can become elite shot blockers usually have a higher ceiling and value than 3 and D players.  Wouldn't surprise me if Robinson developed into a top 20 type of player down the road (in the mold of Gobert / Capela / Whiteside).  Since Summer League started around 2001, about 17 years, he set all time records in blocks and offensive rebounds.  I know its summer league, but a lot of great players have played in the summer leagues and he's arguably been one of the most impressive of ALL TIME.  (Tied #1 pick Greg Oden with 4 blocks / game...one more than Jarrett Allen who got 3 blocks / game and has already put up elite shot blocking numbers in his rookie year).

Edited by hipriest69
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

The talent is there for sure, and they are heavily invested in him.  He's basically their 2019 first round pick.  In 2-3 years a top 50 finish wouldn't surprise me at all.  Me personally I like Robinson better.  Bigs who can become elite shot blockers usually have a higher ceiling and value than 3 and D players.  Wouldn't surprise me if Robinson developed into a top 20 type of player down the road (in the mold of Gobert / Capela / Whiteside).  Since Summer League started around 2001, about 17 years, he set all time records in blocks and offensive rebounds.  I know its summer league, but a lot of great players have played in the summer leagues and he's arguably been one of the most impressive of ALL TIME.  (Tied #1 pick Greg Oden with 4 blocks / game...one more than Jarrett Allen who got 3 blocks / game and has already put up elite shot blocking numbers in his rookie year).

It’s rare I agree with everything someone says with regards to rookies but I definitely agree with all of that. Only thing is I feel like is a wildcard is Robinson in NYC. More disciplined players than him have gotten lost in NYC nightlife when not getting minutes but the talent is there for sure 100% with both of them but I also prefer the Mitchell type as a fantasy asset 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 4:12 PM, Rainsford said:

Very clever assistant coach question disguised as a player thread (nods with respect) :lol:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Very clever assistant coach question disguised as a player thread (nods with respect) :lol:

The art of RW posting!  If you're good at it you never have to post in the wretched A/C forum again!

So any news on where he's at heading into preseason? It's pretty quiet. There's some info on JJ but not much on Bridges. I'm hoping he can start out at 20MPG.

15 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson2 said:

15/5/2 with 2 threes and closes to a block and a steal?

That's never been done by a rookie before. Even a 14/4 line with 0.7 steals and 1.7 threes has only been done four times before (Pierce, AI, Stoudamire and Steph Curry). I think you're setting yourself up for a disappointment. 

My prediction was this:

Predicted stats: 22 MPG, 10.3 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 1.1 APG, 0.6 BLK, 0.9 STL, 1.5 3PT, 1.1 TO, 0.44 FG%, 0.81 FT%.

And looking back the steals and blocks numbers are too high as well.

I think your prediction is pretty spot on , though I would say he'll shoot around 46% (still averaging around 10 points on less shots). I also don't think you're too high on the steals and blocks because his defense will keep him on the floor longer than most rookies , that's his calling card: D and 3s.  Plus depending on how their season plays out, he could begin seeing more than 22 minutes regularly. 

Rather than projecting a middling season average, what do we expect out of him on the latter period where we assume more playing time

7 minutes ago, chaiway said:

Rather than projecting a middling season average, what do we expect out of him on the latter period where we assume more playing time

If he's getting starter's minutes (I said IF) by the end of the season,  I could see him being Covington 2.0 but with better FG% 

something like: 

28 minutes ; 14.5 points ; 2.3 3s ; 5.5 rebs ; 2 asts ; 1 blk ; 1.5 stls ; 1.8 TOs ; 45% FG, 83% FT  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MynameisMudd said:

If he's getting starter's minutes (I said IF) by the end of the season,  I could see him being Covington 2.0 but with better FG% 

something like: 

28 minutes ; 14.5 points ; 2.3 3s ; 5.5 rebs ; 2 asts ; 1 blk ; 1.5 stls ; 1.8 TOs ; 45% FG, 83% FT  

Seems a bit high, especially stls/blks for this year. If he is anywhere near this he's a bargain