Spyplane

Mikal Bridges 2018-19 Season Outlook

4 hours ago, DoctorLove said:

Nice game last night and 26 minutes of run.  Anybody running to stash him in 12 teamers  yet?

nah same as before if he blows up I'll grab him but i still don't think he's gonna be very productive in the short term

This dude is the real deal. Efficiency. Range. Defense. He's good enough to play a role on a good team, just want until the Suns move into full on tank mode.

Well that performance was my cue to pick him up, all depends on how they distribute the wing minutes between him, Ariza, Jackson and TJ.

Honestly, I may have overestimated the effect of the position battle in PHX. All they have is Booker, a bunch of wings to play 2-3-4, and a center in Ayton. They really just keep on insisting to play Canaan.

10 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

This dude is the real deal. Efficiency. Range. Defense. He's good enough to play a role on a good team, just want until the Suns move into full on tank mode.

I don't know if it is "tank mode", but the Suns are making decisions. Chriss. Bender. Tyson. They are thinning the crowd. Anderson replaced by Warren. These aren't things they will reverse IMO. These are decisions they move forward with. The main issue is going to be Ariza and how they play the PG position. I know the thread is about Mikal, but Booker's lines and style of play the past few games speak volumes. He is distributing. He is looking to get everyone shots and into the flow before he looks for his. I don't think they will run out Booker, Mikal, Warren, Ariza, Ayton but I wouldn't call them crazy to try it. 

I am not too worried about Jackson. I am only worried about Ariza and the PG position. They need to make a trade. It will be much easier dealing Jackson with Mikal playing well this early in his career. They invested heavily in Mikal so I don't think they are committed to Jackson long term. The Suns might be interesting in a year or two if they make some good decisions in the near future. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I don't know if it is "tank mode", but the Suns are making decisions. Chriss. Bender. Tyson. They are thinning the crowd. Anderson replaced by Warren. These aren't things they will reverse IMO. These are decisions they move forward with. The main issue is going to be Ariza and how they play the PG position. I know the thread is about Mikal, but Booker's lines and style of play the past few games speak volumes. He is distributing. He is looking to get everyone shots and into the flow before he looks for his. I don't think they will run out Booker, Mikal, Warren, Ariza, Ayton but I wouldn't call them crazy to try it. 

I am not too worried about Jackson. I am only worried about Ariza and the PG position. They need to make a trade. It will be much easier dealing Jackson with Mikal playing well this early in his career. They invested heavily in Mikal so I don't think they are committed to Jackson long term. The Suns might be interesting in a year or two if they make some good decisions in the near future. 

I like your style of assessment, using real life NBA team strategies to guide you in fantasy players to watch or target.  My posts are very similar, but I can't watch every game and player.  Nice post, I'll be keeping an eye on the Suns, and your other posts that focus on teams I'm not as interested in.

We need more of this, and less assistant coach posts in here.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

I like your style of assessment, using real life NBA team strategies to guide you in fantasy players to watch or target.  My posts are very similar, but I can't watch every game and player.  Nice post, I'll be keeping an eye on the Suns, and your other posts that focus on teams I'm not as interested in.

We need more of this, and less assistant coach posts in here.

Appreciate that...I try to watch a game or two a night and to see the context behind the box score. I try to report without bias and I often times don't post my game notes because I don't know how much people find interest in it. I will try to be better at sharing my takeaways from watching league pass going forward because if I have it on my radar I am sure someone else does too. 

If you watch games please share your insights. Nothing beats watching games and box scores can be misleading and don't always tell the whole story. 

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I agree with most of this but what makes you think they're not invested in both Mikal and Jackson?  They've got both players locked up for at least the next 3 seasons very cheaply, basically paying 9-12 mil for both per season over the next 3, and should they trade Ariza closer to the deadline then they have a genuine 3 man rotation in Warren, Bridges and Jackson at the 3 and 4 spots that is both young, has a lot of room for growth, and cap friendly.  It seems franchises priorities defensive wings and back themselves in to develop their offensive games much more readily than the other way around and Phoenix have that with both Jackson and Mikal.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thezing1 said:

Appreciate that...I try to watch a game or two a night and to see the context behind the box score. I try to report without bias and I often times don't post my game notes because I don't know how much people find interest in it. I will try to be better at sharing my takeaways from watching league pass going forward because if I have it on my radar I am sure someone else does too. 

Sometimes I regret posting my thoughts, because I spend a ton of time watching, and researching.  I want to help fellow rotoworlders but I think a ton of people just read these posts, don't post themselves, and benefit a lot.  That's cool with me, but what if they're in my league?  I think some assessments on here actually affect ownership percentages on fantasy hosts like ESPN and Yahoo.  Calling SGA's break out, or Wiggins about to blow, it gets people on the hype train.  

Mikal Bridges has that skill set that can make any fantasy team better.  Most team owners have a few all-stars racking up the popcorn stats, so a 3's/stls/blks guy like this is the type of filler / glue guy that wins you a league.  If you get yourself a few of them, built in with good picks on your stars, you're in really good shape.  They get overlooked over guys that drop 20-25 a night with hollow contributing stats.

2 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

I agree with most of this but what makes you think they're not invested in both Mikal and Jackson?  They've got both players locked up for at least the next 3 seasons very cheaply, basically paying 9-12 mil for both per season over the next 3, and should they trade Ariza closer to the deadline then they have a genuine 3 man rotation in Warren, Bridges and Jackson at the 3 and 4 spots that is both young, has a lot of room for growth, and cap friendly.  It seems franchises priorities defensive wings and back themselves in to develop their offensive games much more readily than the other way around and Phoenix have that with both Jackson and Mikal.

Jackson is another one of those guys that can rack up the harder to get stats but his efficiency sucks.  I liked what I saw at the end of the year, but you can tell he's an emotional player that's prone to playing either absolutely terribly or a fantasy stud.  Bridges needs less usage to post a full stat line, and seems to be more emotionally / mentally stable.

Remember, Josh Jackson refused to work out for the Celtics before the draft?  He decided too soon that their wouldn't be opportunity for him in Boston.  We took Jaylen instead and now look at how that worked out.  I'm not saying Jackson is an idiot, but....

Just now, ComeOnAndSlam said:

Mostly because I don't think Jackson is very good. He can't shoot, but that is known. The worst thing is that he hasn't really figured out what is a good shot and a bad shot. For a guy that can't shoot and doesn't know when to shoot that is like burning the candle of a coach's patience at both ends. The owner thinks they are competitive or wants them to compete (he is a lunatic). I just think the only reason people think Jackson is any good at all is because he got to run wild at the end of the year on a gutted team that wanted to lose. I struggle to see his value on a competitive team. He is like the second coming of MKG. You are right that franchises value wings that can defend, but those wings need to be able to space the floor as well. Jackson only does half of the wing equation. 

Ultimately they are getting a PG. Booker can play the Harden role on offense, but he can't guard 1's. Ayton is their 5. They need to figure out the 3 and 4. They made the move on Mikal having had a year of Jackson. I don't think you make that move if you are happy with Jackson. Their owner is crazy, but I just can't find the logic of the Mikal deal unless you think he is the wing of the future (and I think he is). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

Jackson is another one of those guys that can rack up the harder to get stats but his efficiency sucks.  I liked what I saw at the end of the year, but you can tell he's an emotional player that's prone to playing either absolutely terribly or a fantasy stud.  Bridges needs less usage to post a full stat line, and seems to be more emotionally / mentally stable.

Remember, Josh Jackson refused to work out for the Celtics before the draft?  He decided too soon that their wouldn't be opportunity for him in Boston.  We took Jaylen instead and now look at how that worked out.  I'm not saying Jackson is an idiot, but....

No doubt Jackson has deficiencies in his game but that's expected.  He's only a sophomore so calling him out for being inefficient at this stage in his career I think is unfair.  Nobody thought Jaylen Brown would make the jump he did last season with his ball handling and shooting.  Trevor Ariza was an inefficient chucker and improved.  If he's still horrible in 3-4 years time then for sure but right now he's athletic, has shown potential as a lock down defender, and has shown potential for an rounded offensive game.  Phoenix would be crazy to cut ties now.

I think the only thing that makes Phoenix want to cut ties early is the other thing you touched on.  Jackson definitely comes across as a bit of an idiot but so was Artest and in the NBA talent and production trump personality.  Unless Jackson really screws up they'll keep the faith while keeping the PR division on defcon 1.

3 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Mostly because I don't think Jackson is very good. He can't shoot, but that is known. The worst thing is that he hasn't really figured out what is a good shot and a bad shot. For a guy that can't shoot and doesn't know when to shoot that is like burning the candle of a coach's patience at both ends. The owner thinks they are competitive or wants them to compete (he is a lunatic). I just think the only reason people think Jackson is any good at all is because he got to run wild at the end of the year on a gutted team that wanted to lose. I struggle to see his value on a competitive team. He is like the second coming of MKG. You are right that franchises value wings that can defend, but those wings need to be able to space the floor as well. Jackson only does half of the wing equation. 

Ultimately they are getting a PG. Booker can play the Harden role on offense, but he can't guard 1's. Ayton is their 5. They need to figure out the 3 and 4. They made the move on Mikal having had a year of Jackson. I don't think you make that move if you are happy with Jackson. Their owner is crazy, but I just can't find the logic of the Mikal deal unless you think he is the wing of the future (and I think he is). 

I think Watson really messed with Phoenix's young guys.  He basically pandered to the them and let them run riot in an almost uncontrolled way which can set bad habits.  There's no development in an uncontrolled track meet of a game. 

I used the example of Trevor Ariza in a response to somebody else and I think the same can be applied here.  Jackson is a hothead who is lacking bball IQ and tries to play outside of his current skills but so did Ariza at one stage.  There's upside and room to grow there and considering the finances I don't know why Phoenix wouldn't persevere at least for another 2 seasons.

4 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

I think Watson really messed with Phoenix's young guys.  He basically pandered to the them and let them run riot in an almost uncontrolled way which can set bad habits.  There's no development in an uncontrolled track meet of a game. 

I used the example of Trevor Ariza in a response to somebody else and I think the same can be applied here.  Jackson is a hothead who is lacking bball IQ and tries to play outside of his current skills but so did Ariza at one stage.  There's upside and room to grow there and considering the finances I don't know why Phoenix wouldn't persevere at least for another 2 seasons.

Because it wasn't until his 6th year and 4th team before Ariza became Ariza. 

Gotta transition this back to Mikal. If you want to continue this discussion we can move it to PM or Jackson's thread. 

4 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Because it wasn't until his 6th year and 4th team before Ariza became Ariza. 

Gotta transition this back to Mikal. If you want to continue this discussion we can move it to PM or Jackson's thread. 

Not a problem.  I don't think Phoenix will come anywhere near a playoff spot this season or next so I think they can afford to be patient with the development of their wings.  I could be completely wrong though if this coach really gets Booker to buy into getting the rest of the team involved and Ayton starts showing some consistent rim protection.  They've already got good defense on the wings so it's really in the middle and with their ball handling they need to lock it down.  Bridges looks like the type of player that won't need high usage to be really fantasy relevant so hopefully he gets the 25+ mins a night regardless of starting or not.

watching very closely. more of these lines and he's gonna be a sleeper.

i remember watching his predraft. dude like otto porter. good 3-D guy. slasher and 3 point shooter. probably good intangibles for stocks. 

Edited by brosephd

I'm so close to pulling the trigger here, but it would be nice to see what happens when Ariza returns. In My main league guys like this disappear really quick... If I snooze... I may lose... Argh... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I'd like to see that starting lineup: Booker, Mikal, Ariza, Warren, Ayton. It hurts seeing Canaan starting at PG, Suns need a PG badly (kinda funny they went from having too many Bledsoe, Dragic, IT to none lol)

Edited by DezedandConfused
  • Like 1