KarlJ.

Springer Trade ( Etiquette Question)

Trade etiquette question- I had sent an offer to another team with Springer/ Corbin going and I was receiving Stanton.   I had sent this offer last weekend  but the other owner sat on it for several days.  He finally accepted the offer yesterday around 1:00 PM EST approx. 4 hours before Houston's game and Springer's injury.   We have a 24 hour processing period on trades where other owners can vote to veto.  
One other league owner voted down the trade because he said " I am vetoing because I don't think he would have made that trade had he known Springer was going to be injured ( ya think?).  When I made the offer no players were injured and when he accepted no players were injured so it was obviously made in good faith.
I feel badly but there is no reason this trade shouldn't go through, right?  If Stanton had gotten hurt later that night I wouldn't have expected other owners to veto.   It's crappy luck but I have been on the other side of this many times and haven't said anything.  

Thoughts?

As far as I'm concerned the risks and rewards of the players are transferred once both parties agree to the trade within the league's site. The fact it takes a day to process shouldn't matter. So I think the Springer injury is the other owner's problem and that the trade should still go through.

Also, Springer's x-rays came back negative. He'll probably be put on the 10-day DL, but I don't see him being out much longer than that. So the injury really isn't that big of a deal anyway.

Not going to get on my soapbox about what I think about veto leagues, but yeah I hate them. I understand why they exist, still hate them. In this particular case, there is no reason this should be vetoed. The only thing that should be taken into account was whether or not it was fair when the deal was done. And it was...

• Thanks 1

Agreed with Sagan. However I would make a gesture to offer something else in an expanded trade, even if he rejects it, it’s appreciated and will lead to easier trades with this manager in the future. Like add on a 15th round pick for his 16th, or see if he’s interested in a player you’re gonna drop anyway, etc.

18 minutes ago, Brandt17 said:

Agreed with Sagan. However I would make a gesture to offer something else in an expanded trade, even if he rejects it, it’s appreciated and will lead to easier trades with this manager in the future. Like add on a 15th round pick for his 16th, or see if he’s interested in a player you’re gonna drop anyway, etc.

I told him I would give him Muncy for his worst player.  I know Muncy has been slumping but he has 24 hrs and qualifies at multiple positions including 2B/3B and MI so it makes him quite valuable

A trade accepted is a trade.  Once its on the books, its a done deal.  The only time injuries come into play for me would be if I make an offer for a player, then the guy gets hurt, then the other manager accepts the offer to dump an injured player.   If the sequencing is like that, I can see the commish getting involved to stop scumbagging.  Otherwise, any player could be injured at any time.  If the injury had happened 2 hours after the transaction processed does he get the chance to undo the trade?  No.  

Luckily if only 1 guy goes for the veto it should be ok.  But no 'good faith' offer of making a concession to change a player or anything like that. The good faith offer was made and it was accepted in good faith.  Before it processes one of the guys you are receiving could get hurt - that is the risk we all take with every manager.

First off, technically the deal is OK imo as both parties offered it in good faith and it is not like you got the offer and accepted AFTER the injury occurred.  he accepted before the injury.  That someone got hurt shortly afterwards is the other guys really bad luck.  Now if I was in the same situation and the other guy complained, I probably would just withdraw it to not be a jerk\show a decent level of courtesy (esp. if it is a keeper league and the owners will be returning).  Throwing the other guy another bone to make it less painful is a reasonable compromise as well.

Next, while technically someone can argue that even if that were the case and someone accepts after the injury it is OK, imo, that crosses a line of general fair play.  It may be technically OK, but it is playing a bit shady to accept a deal made before an injury that you sat on for awhile and then decided to do after the injury.  Yes the other owner should withdraw if it sits out there for to long, but expecting people to followup in rapid fashion is not reasonable.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for everyone's input!  Trade went through with no other objections.  Even the other team involved in the trade said no hard feelings- It is just the risk of making a trade

On 8/6/2018 at 7:02 AM, Sagan said:

Not going to get on my soapbox about what I think about veto leagues, but yeah I hate them. I understand why they exist, still hate them. In this particular case, there is no reason this should be vetoed. The only thing that should be taken into account was whether or not it was fair when the deal was done. And it was...

Agreed, especially because at the time of offer and acceptance everything was on the up and up...only time this changes a little is when lets say the offer was still open and then he got hurt and before it could be revoked, someone accepts knowing and I have been on the wrong end of some brutal ones timing wise.  

You did nothing wrong and the trade should go through, but personally, I would cancel it or try to work around it. Unless its a money league lmao