SicarioSanity

Aaron Gordon 2018-2019 Season Outlook

My boy! I was a big advocate last year and reached on some leagues to get the guy. He started off great the first two months then his shooting fell off a cliff therefore crushing his value. He wasn’t a poster child for health either and burned a lot of fantasy managers during the first round of playoffs last year. 

With that being said, he just signed a contract and looks to be locked in for big minutes. I just pray to God Clifford lets him continue to play the majority of his minutes at the 4 because we all know that’s his best position. We all remember the failed Vogel “we can play him like PG13” proposition. 

In in any case, I am expecting Isaac to play big minutes too. To those familiar with Clifford’s tendencies, what are your thoughts? From the top of my head I know he loved Marvin Williams before and the cat parlayed that to a big fantasy season. 

Projections? I am thinking 19-8-2-1-1 with 45%/75%/35% shooting splits. I love punting assists and if Gordon reaches those numbers he’ll be a very attractive target. 

What pick range would you be targeting him in? I believe that AG won’t ever be a go to scorer in his career, but he can be a good 2nd or 3rd option. Crash Wallace but with a better 3 point stroke? 

Gerald Wallace was really good defensive player... something witch Aaron will never be...

As for stats  19-8-2-1-1 line seems about right...  plausible to me... he's just 22-23 years old...

37 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Gerald Wallace was really good defensive player... something witch Aaron will never be...

As for stats  19-8-2-1-1 line seems about right...  plausible to me... he's just 22-23 years old...

Fantasy wise my good man, haha! With that being said I think his most popular comparison is Shawn Marion but the Matrix was phenomenal in fantasy during his peak years. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SicarioSanity said:

Fantasy wise my good man, haha! With that being said I think his most popular comparison is Shawn Marion but the Matrix was phenomenal in fantasy during his peak years. 

Yep... Matrix was a 1st round player... 

Edited by Stefan

He's really not that far off 1 stl + 1 blk, but I'm not so sure he makes that jump.  Not sure how I feel about him this year...maybe if he's there in the 5th or 6th depending on my team build.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 8:44 AM, SicarioSanity said:

Crash was in the 3-4.5 range for stocks in his prime. He peaked at 4.6 stocks! Matrix sat around 3.5 stocks for his prime. Gordon took a step last year to get to 1.8 stocks, but he needs to double that to get on the Crash and Matrix level. I am going to say that leap is highly unlikely, especially since Bamba will be protecting the rim and Isaac is just a better defender than Gordon. But, I think his chance to do it is this year or next before Bamba and Isaac develop. I can see Gordon developing more offense, but the defense is the key to fantasy upside. 

Gordon, Matrix, Crash are all pretty good comps in playing style and offensive ability. But defense is where the first round beasts separate themselves from the mid round players. I get it that Gordon hits more threes, but that cat is watered down because EVERYONE is hitting more threes these days. We are never going to find the perfect comp, but prime Matrix is some rare territory. It is fine to be high on Gordon, but just recognize how far he has to improve in stocks to make the next fantasy leap. 

Edited by thezing1
  • Like 4

@SicarioSanity Thanks for bringing up Crash Wallace. It has been a while since I remembered those earlier days of fantasy basketball.  He would help you to championships and then break your heart on insane plays when he would just launch himself into action and get hurt. Only player that was like that was AK47, but he always went down with softer injuries. Crash was a beast. 

11 hours ago, thezing1 said:

@SicarioSanity Thanks for bringing up Crash Wallace. It has been a while since I remembered those earlier days of fantasy basketball.  He would help you to championships and then break your heart on insane plays when he would just launch himself into action and get hurt. Only player that was like that was AK47, but he always went down with softer injuries. Crash was a beast. 

Crash, AK47 and a prime Josh Smith. Those were the days. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

That was a great time to be playing fantasy. I am still in a dynasty league that is going strong where JSmoove was my first round pick. I am going to include Marcus Camby and Jermaine O'neal in the list of dudes that were so awesome when they were healthy. The Camby Man threw down so ridiculous lines where he could just alter the standings in one night. I miss those days.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

I'll also throw out there Danny Granger, Kevin Martin, and Al Jefferson.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:10 PM, thezing1 said:

I am going to say that leap is highly unlikely, especially since Bamba will be protecting the rim and Isaac is just a better defender than Gordon. But, I think his chance to do it is this year or next before Bamba and Isaac develop. I can see Gordon developing more offense, but the defense is the key to fantasy upside.

Never knew because his teammates are good defensive players that it puts a limit on his defensive potential.

It was announced that Gordon is going to be guarding the 3, more than anything else.

Obviously, because of this, he has more of a chance to rack up steals but his length will allow for blocks for the contesting of shots.

I do agree with the comparisons being ridiculous right now, it's hard to bet on anyone on the wing racking up 3+ stocks.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:35 PM, thezing1 said:

That was a great time to be playing fantasy. I am still in a dynasty league that is going strong where JSmoove was my first round pick. I am going to include Marcus Camby and Jermaine O'neal in the list of dudes that were so awesome when they were healthy. The Camby Man threw down so ridiculous lines where he could just alter the standings in one night. I miss those days.

Yeah, Camby would do like 11 blocks!  Camby had a 20-24r-11a-11b quadruple double at age 33.  He was crazy good.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Yeah, Camby would do like 11 blocks!  Camby had a 20-24r-11a-11b quadruple double at age 33.  He was crazy good.  

?  What ?

giphy.gif

He didn't have that but he would semi regularly throw down enough blocks to basically win your week, while coming up huge in rebounds and not hurting you in points or assists. 

i told myself to pass on him after owning him last year. maddening when he chucks 30 foot 3’s and kills your fg% when he should be living in the paint. his potential is high so possibly if price is right and more stocks

I was skeptical of him increasing his defensive numbers...but with Clifford in town and all the talk about him focusing on defense, getting more off ball steals, going harder for more boards, his specific training to improve his defense...I think he can not only get to a full 8 reb 1stl 1blk, but i think he has upside for over 1/1 and closer to 8.5-9 reb.  Despite his poor % I drafted him at the 3/4 turn in a punt assist build.  Still more upside to be fulfilled.  

4 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

He looks a lot better in his first game.

Everyone looks good when their shot is falling :) 

He was on a heater last night for sure. He took some pretty difficult long 2's, but those are bad shots when they aren't falling. He did pick up some loose balls and run to the 3 point line, set up, and drain. That is always nice when a player has his fantasy team owners in mind. He looked awesome crashing the glass and using his athleticism to secure some rebounds. He got some massive minutes last night. I wonder what the rotation will be when a starter isn't in foul trouble (Isaac). 

Guy burned me last year after the first few weeks, hurting more than he helped with his garbage percentages. Wonder if my "keep away" strategy will come back to haunt my dreams me if he keeps this up...

3 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Everyone looks good when their shot is falling :) 

He was on a heater last night for sure. He took some pretty difficult long 2's, but those are bad shots when they aren't falling. He did pick up some loose balls and run to the 3 point line, set up, and drain. That is always nice when a player has his fantasy team owners in mind. He looked awesome crashing the glass and using his athleticism to secure some rebounds. He got some massive minutes last night. I wonder what the rotation will be when a starter isn't in foul trouble (Isaac). 

Yeah He was unstoppable in the first few weeks of last year when that 3 was going in. Then he struggled. Hopefully he got better with that this off season.

I dunno, Isaac's ankles are a bit shaky lol.

i remember he started out blazing hot and dropped the 40 point game. then he got injured like multi-weeks and was never the same chucking 3's. let's see if this year he puts it all together for top 3 round value. 

Magic are getting trounced, AG's shot isn't falling, and he's still putting up a decent line with stocks. This may be the year he finally puts it all together, health willing.

Edited by Del Rio

On 10/19/2018 at 4:44 AM, brosephd said:

i remember he started out blazing hot and dropped the 40 point game. then he got injured like multi-weeks and was never the same chucking 3's. let's see if this year he puts it all together for top 3 round value. 

Do you remember what injury was lagging him for most of the year?