Sign in to follow this  
33legend

Start Clevinger or Tanaka? WHIR

Who would you start this week?

Masahiro Tanaka- 1 Start at home vs. Texas

or

Mike Clevinger- 1 Start at home vs. Minnesota

Tanaka has been outstanding in his last 4 starts.  Even in his short outing vs. the Red Sox he had 9 k's in 4.7 innings.  In his last 4 starts he has 26IP 31K's 1.09 ERA and a .88 WHIP

Clevinger in his last 4 has 23.7 IP  29 k's with a 4.18 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP.

I like Clevinger a little more rest of the season but Tanaka has been great.  Both have nice matchups as Clevinger has the Dozier-less and Escobar-less Twins who already own a .245BA/.736 OPS and are even worse on the road.  But the Rangers are even worse against RHP at .240/.726 and are worse on the road.  Tough call. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Leave a link- WHIR!

I have both of them as well and have been extremely pleased with Clevinger all season and Tanaka post-DL.

I would prefer to start Clevinger at home given the weak matchup(without Escobar and Dozier!!!!) and the pretty much guaranteed run support from Ramirez and Lindor. Texas has been red hot lately, and although I don't love their offense, they can put some big hits together. Tanaka is particularly susceptible to the long ball, and Odor/Gallo will surely be thankful for it. Not having Judge and Sanchez also definitely hurts for run support.

That being said, neither is a bad idea. I just feel safer with Clevinger.

• Like 1

Clevinger for me...No reason to sit him ever really.  Tanaka is always hit or miss.  Guy you start with favorable matchups when running well.  One has to have an awesome staff or be in a very shallow league to be thinking of benching Clevinger in a week imo.

• Like 1