dboong

2018-19 Sleepers and Busts

pretty high on drummond as well. would have picked him at 16 in our H2H mock but went with wall. obviously, wall was a reach there, but having lillard as my first pick and looking at PG in the next rounds, i felt like there are a lot more BIGS that can be had than PG. at the time of the pick, i might have regretted not getting drummond, specially BIGS getting picked left and right in the 2nd round. specially stifle hoarding them. but the next 3 rounds, i still got great value on my bigs, aldridge at 33, turner at 40 and whiteside at 57. overall, im satisfied with my wall pick, as if i picked drummond there, i would have reached for a PG in the next few rounds. and the fact that wall and drummond fit might not be the best as well in terms of percentages.

5 hours ago, Kenny Mack said:

pretty high on drummond as well. would have picked him at 16 in our H2H mock but went with wall. obviously, wall was a reach there, but having lillard as my first pick and looking at PG in the next rounds, i felt like there are a lot more BIGS that can be had than PG. at the time of the pick, i might have regretted not getting drummond, specially BIGS getting picked left and right in the 2nd round. specially stifle hoarding them. but the next 3 rounds, i still got great value on my bigs, aldridge at 33, turner at 40 and whiteside at 57. overall, im satisfied with my wall pick, as if i picked drummond there, i would have reached for a PG in the next few rounds. and the fact that wall and drummond fit might not be the best as well in terms of percentages.

just imagine if you took drummo instead. You'd be able to compete against the likes of stifle and his great wall of bigs. Wall hurts in too many categories with your initial build. A gain in assists is not worth a loss in FG%, REB, BLK and TO. Not to mention his health concerns. Lillard was never a big AST PG. I put him neck and neck with Curry which also makes for a great punt-assist-route Guard with your first pick. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gorgeous George said:

Mirotic...  Sleeper or bust?

Neither.  I think he’s good for something like 16/8 with 2 threes and almost a block and a steal. I don’t think Randle impacts him that much.  He was almost top 40 last season and will probably be top 50 this season.  People are drafting him at or a little behind there.  But if I had to pick one I’d say sleeper.  People seem to be picking him 60/70 a lot more often than 40/50 and I think he’s closer to 40 than 60.

• Like 1

I think some of you guys overthink the category and punt category thing. I just try and draft the best player available and try and fill in during the season with the weak categories. But I play Dynasty so the drafting thing is different. Age is a factor and do you build a team for the future, or try and win now, ect....Drummond and Simmons somewhere in the 20-24 range in re-draft and a little higher in Dynasty.....Just my 2 cents worth.......I also think a lot of leagues are won in the middle rounds and not the top 2-3 rounds. Anyone can draft 3 good players in my opinion. I dont really try and match up players or have a concrete plan. Other drafters will mess up my draft plans.

20 minutes ago, dino10k said:

I think some of you guys overthink the category and punt category thing. I just try and draft the best player available and try and fill in during the season with the weak categories. But I play Dynasty so the drafting thing is different. Age is a factor and do you build a team for the future, or try and win now, ect....Drummond and Simmons somewhere in the 20-24 range in re-draft and a little higher in Dynasty.....Just my 2 cents worth.......I also think a lot of leagues are won in the middle rounds and not the top 2-3 rounds. Anyone can draft 3 good players in my opinion. I dont really try and match up players or have a concrete plan. Other drafters will mess up my draft plans.

So you’re drafting BPA with upside?  Guess what the guy next to you is doing? Drafting BPA with upside. 

If you come in with the intent of punting a category and get sniped you can just adjust your strategy.  It would be foolish to come into a draft with only one plan in mind.   You should come with plan A, B, and C.  But if you fail to plan you plan to fail. 

I agree that drafts are won in the middle rounds but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t discuss the first couple of rounds which in fact dictate the rest of your draft.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

So you’re drafting BPA with upside?  Guess what the guy next to you is doing? Drafting BPA with upside. 

If you come in with the intent of punting a category and get sniped you can just adjust your strategy.  It would be foolish to come into a draft with only one plan in mind.   You should come with plan A, B, and C.  But if you fail to plan you plan to fail. 

I agree that drafts are won in the middle rounds but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t discuss the first couple of rounds which in fact dictate the rest of your draft.

Post of the year?  I know some owners are reluctant to do so, but I like to have a "pairing" strategy for my first 2-4 picks to stack categories for a slight "punt" build, yet still somewhat balanced.

Edited by hipriest69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

just imagine if you took drummo instead. You'd be able to compete against the likes of stifle and his great wall of bigs. Wall hurts in too many categories with your initial build. A gain in assists is not worth a loss in FG%, REB, BLK and TO. Not to mention his health concerns. Lillard was never a big AST PG. I put him neck and neck with Curry which also makes for a great punt-assist-route Guard with your first pick. 

considering the BIGS i got, i feel great with my wall pick. obviously its a reach with wall, but im very high on him this season. and elite PG are very hard to get compared to BIGS. part of the reason as well was lillard and drummonds fit regarding percentages. i expect wall to bounce back in percentages, specially FT. walls FG, REB and TO considering the amount of assists he gives for a PG, are not a loss. yeah for sure if you compare a PG to BIG. also, considering the BLK he gives you in the PG position, id say its actually a BIG GAIN in that category. actually, my teams primary strength is BLKS. with my lineup of aldridge, turner, whiteside and favors as my BIGS, i actually felt good getting wall instead of drummond there.

21 minutes ago, Kenny Mack said:

considering the BIGS i got, i feel great with my wall pick. obviously its a reach with wall, but im very high on him this season. and elite PG are very hard to get compared to BIGS. part of the reason as well was lillard and drummonds fit regarding percentages. i expect wall to bounce back in percentages, specially FT. walls FG, REB and TO considering the amount of assists he gives for a PG, are not a loss. yeah for sure if you compare a PG to BIG. also, considering the BLK he gives you in the PG position, id say its actually a BIG GAIN in that category. actually, my teams primary strength is BLKS. with my lineup of aldridge, turner, whiteside and favors as my BIGS, i actually felt good getting wall instead of drummond there.

I agree that your bigs were great value.  I disagree about Wall.  And a lot of people consider centers to be the scarcest position. That said you got a bargain on your bigs so I think you dun good. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I agree that your bigs were great value.  I disagree about Wall.  And a lot of people consider centers to be the scarcest position. That said you got a bargain on your bigs so I think you dun good. 

the bigs get a big A+ grade at those prices. But im sorry to say Wall was a big F grade. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

the bigs get a big A+ grade at those prices. But im sorry to say Wall was a big F grade. 

I’m not drafting Wall in the second, that’s for sure.  His injury history is scary and frankly he’s not that good of a fantasy player.  We have a long history of him being a 3 cat punt, hoping he improves significantly at this point in his career is very optimistic.  I do think he produces counting stats in H2H so if you get good value out of him eg late third/early fourth then he might be worth a gamble in some builds.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

Post of the year?  I know some owners are reluctant to do so, but I like to have a "pairing" strategy for my first 2-4 picks to stack categories for a slight "punt" build, yet still somewhat balanced.

Best way to draft IMO, provides flexibility while having a couple clear team builds in mind.

Going BPA is how you end up extremely unbalanced. BPA runs the risk of having an H2H team putting up 800 pts per week when you only need 650 to win. May have the best players on your team but you have to win multiple cats weekly if .you're trying to actually compete.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

for sure, wall was a reach at that price. but not that much in my opinion. before last season, he consistently finishes 20-25 range. and played 78, 77, and 79 games respectively the last 3 seasons before last year. turning 28, hes in his prime. last years down stats, particularly the percentages,  can be attributed to injuries to his shoulder and knees. just had to reach at 16 for him, as i value the AST more, as its the cat that is scarce in the waiver wire. aside from going BIG with drummond, irving would have been my other pick if i would have gone PG. but then again, i consider him more of an injury risk than wall aside from the AST value.

4 hours ago, kmac771 said:

Nerlens at 20 mpg?

If he reaches that he’ll be a great value with your last picks. Let’s see how BBM ranks him. He’ll be a lock for 1 steal and 1 block with the potential for more with that playing time. 

Paul Millsap on a bounce back year? 81st in 9 cat next year. 

Don’t think a top 50 finish is out of the question. Can seriously fill up the box score

• Like 1

On 2018/8/13 at 4:35 AM, Kenny Mack said:

Have u seen his recent video, looks like he gain more muscle mass on his upper body, that's more burden to his knees, he is on my avoid list this year, seems like he will be in and out of rotation, instead I'll hunt aggressively on Beal this year.

6 hours ago, JaydensGuys said:

F**k that guy

Better at eating hotdogs than basketball 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kmac771 said:

Can’t find anything about Seth Curry

He's behind Lillard and McCollum and 1 year removed due to injury. It's a long shot to draft him unless you are in a deep league

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bkw77 said:

Better at eating hotdogs than basketball 

Honestly, I don't want a player who's good at eating basketballs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Erenor said:

Look out for Seth when Trading deadline arrives, as maybe one of the starters is getting traded.

Portland will be competing for a playoff spot in early february. Even if you don’t believe they’ll make the playoffs its hard to believe they’ll be completely out of contention with 30+ games remaining.

if they wanted to blow it up I think they would have done it this off season.

Seth could still carve out some value in deep leagues with 20mpg. High efficiency guy + 3s

Edited by FantasyBallFan
  • Like 1

Who do you think will be the 2nd fiddle in Cleveland next year? Someone besides Love has to put up some stats. Is Cedi the one who is getting touches or who do you trust in as a maybe sleeper guy?