FouLLine

Deivi Garcia - RHP NYY

16 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

good discussion

as a yankee fan i can get only so erect

thanks 

They nailed it between 15-20 seconds, "he's the total package, it's just size".  That's the only knock, the success rate of starters under 6'0 is just almost non-existent in the modern era.  Pedro and Lincecum have been the exception to the rule.

Size doesnt matter.  Thats what my wife says.  Um, at least what she tells me :unsure:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

got him at pick 122 in my startup prospect draft for reference (picked by me haha)

for reference of where the hype is at atm

Anything new with this guy? They started him in A+ for someone reason instead of AA where he ended last year. Does this effect his timeline and will he be pitching for the Yanks in 2020? 

52 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

Anything new with this guy? They started him in A+ for someone reason instead of AA where he ended last year. Does this effect his timeline and will he be pitching for the Yanks in 2020? 

Might be a weather related assignment, but damn he looks great. 33 Ks in 17+IP!

He should be getting that AA very soon.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, bjvance5 said:

2 hours ago, exaulz said:

He should be getting that AA very soon.

Yankees RHP prospect Deivi Garcia struck out 10 hitters while allowing just one run over 5 2/3 innings on Wednesday for High-A Tampa.

Advice: Garcia allowed four hits in the start, and he walked just one. The 19-year-old has had no issue missing bats over his first four starts of the year with 33 punchouts in just 17 2/3 innings. He's not going to miss bats like this at the highest level, but he does have a curve that gets double-plus grades and a fastball with movement that touches 97 mph. Garcia has also made improvement with his change, and for the most part, he locates all three pitches for strikes. At just 19, there's a lot of development left for Garcia, but that gives him as much upside as any pitcher in the New York system. He could be starting for the Yankees before the end of 2020.

@brockpapersizer

Edited by jfazz23

Posted (edited)

Seems A+ is like playing against his kids, needs a promotion. 

Edit: probably someone else’s kids since he’s 19

Edited by mavsfan23

If he beasts in AA, he's going to be moved aggressively up on lists. I could see him as a top 30-40 prospect by year's end.

I also think there's a small chance he reaches the majors this year with continued success. 

9 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

I also think there's a small chance he reaches the majors this year with continued success. 

Man, I like the optimism. Still though, not that he will get bigger but bringing up a 19 year old 5'9" pitcher to debut in an AL East playoff race would be something. Would be something remarkable if it happened, especially at SP.

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Man, I like the optimism. Still though, not that he will get bigger but bringing up a 19 year old 5'9" pitcher to debut in an AL East playoff race would be something. Would be something remarkable if it happened, especially at SP.

Would be very aggressive, no doubt but this kid has all the tools already at such a young age. Three pitch FB/CB/CH combo and is absolutely destroying the minors. If this continues in AA, I could see the Yanks handling him similarly to Loaisiga. Loaisiga only had around 60 total IP across A+ - AAA when they called him up and was not showing anything near the K potential Deivi currently is. 

• Like 1

Would seem that his 40-man status would be almost as important as how he handles AA then (as far as possible call-up for this season)??

First AA start: 

4 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 11 K

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Threw a wild pitch and hit a batter. Probably had some nerves going. Control should be better though 11K in 4IP is nuts. 

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 1

Lots to unpack there, lol! But hey, there have been far worse upper level debuts!

• Like 1

Just now, DannyMcPot said:

11K in 4IP is nuts though. 

Indeed - 11 out of 12 outs by strikeout given his age and the level he's at is far more of a positive than any negatives coming out of the start. Absolutely one to watch.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Indeed - 11 out of 12 outs by strikeout given his age and the level he's at is far more of a positive than any negatives coming out of the start. Absolutely one to watch.

1 shy of matching his career high in Ks. Was also the most Ks by a Trenton starter this year. All 4 runs he surrendered were on one swing (GS). 

• Like 1

FWIW: According to Klaw on Twitter, one of the hits was "an incredibly stupid scorers decision on an obvious E6"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3