FouLLine

Deivi Garcia - RHP NYY

40 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

Realistic ETA; next season? 2021?

Next year, small possiblity this year 

1 hour ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Would be out of the Pen this year - get him a taste of the show while limiting his innings. 

I hope the Yankees pull the trigger and bring him up to pitch even if it’s out of the bullpen. 

He had a couple of semi bad starts before this game. 

Lets see what he can do!

Here’s what some of the scouts and coaches are saying about Garcia. 

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/scouts-on-yankees-prospect-deivi-garcia-who-has-been-compared-to-pedro-martinez/308270022

Keith Law, ESPN: "What comes out of his arm is pretty special, and the Yankees are a very sort of trackman-focused team when it comes to all players. But they love their high-spin guys throughout their system. He's a guy who has that and has command and has control. Which says to me, at least, they're not going to hesitate to trust him with some kind of major league job by the end of the year."

Danny Borrell, Yankees minor league pitching co-coordinator: "No, it would not surprise me whatsoever [if he made it to the MLB this year]. He's actually like [Jonathan] Loaisiga. This kid can pitch, he's got three quality pitches, and I wouldn't put it past him to just push it. He may make that decision for us, if he just pitches well, he could be a valuable asset to us. He moved four levels last year and there's only two left."

Pat Osborn, Trenton Thunder manager: "His size, the way the balls come out, the only name that comes to mind is Pedro Martinez."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep, A LOT to still prove, but for sure size and stuff is Pedro-esque.  That was the comp used earlier because of size and plus offerings, so nice to see Trenton's Manager say the same thing.

Where can I find his next scheduled start? Might be able to catch a game live on Tuesday but want to see if hes pitching 

7 hours ago, jerrysarms said:

Where can I find his next scheduled start? Might be able to catch a game live on Tuesday but want to see if hes pitching 

he's pitching on Monday the 24th

Don't look now... he's thru 5IP, 1hit, 0ER, 2BB (one on a 10 pitch AB), 9Ks.  He might be done as he's now over 90 pitches.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

he didn't have 1 hit allowed, he had a no hitter thru 5ip along with 9k and 2 walks (19 swinging strikes in 5 innings/Had 27 swinging strikes thru 6 innings last start). Was pulled after the 5th at 96 pitches. Acevedo still has the no hitter going in the 6th.

Edited by JakeSarna

7 minutes ago, JakeSarna said:

he didn't have 1 hit allowed, he had a no hitter thru 5ip along with 9k and 2 walks (19 swinging strikes in 5 innings/Had 27 swinging strikes thru 6 innings last start). Was pulled after the 5th at 96 pitches. Acevedo still has the no hitter going in the 6th.

Yes, that is a typo on my part.

• Like 1

K/9 over 15. This guy is a stud. Shouldn't be much longer before he is wearing the pinstripes. The secret is out, hopefully you got a share.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CounterPunch said:

K/9 over 15. This guy is a stud. Shouldn't be much longer before he is wearing the pinstripes. The secret is out, hopefully you got a share.

do you think he will be up this year? 

In my dynasty league We can stash prospects but they have to be called up for us to be able to keep them.  If not they go back into the player pool before the MiLB draft. I am holding on to him but I’m not sure if he will get called up or not. 

Do you guys think he will end up a starter long term or will he end up on the Pen?

i know if he gets called up this year he will most likely be pitching out of the pen. 

8 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

do you think he will be up this year? 

In my dynasty league We can stash prospects but they have to be called up for us to be able to keep them.  If not they go back into the player pool before the MiLB draft. I am holding on to him but I’m not sure if he will get called up or not. 

Do you guys think he will end up a starter long term or will he end up on the Pen?

i know if he gets called up this year he will most likely be pitching out of the pen. 

These questions are the major points of discussion over the last few pages of this thread, so read them. My TL;DR guesses on this are this: Probability of MLB call-up are maybe 25% and that would more likely be as a reliever. Possible, but still not likely. I think the Yankees will give him every opportunity to start over the immediate term. He is smaller, so he has a higher probability of injury, but as others have illustrated... there have been plenty of smaller guys that were successful starters... there have been plenty that got hurt and fizzled... and there are some like McCullers were the jury is still out 5 years in. Predicting pitcher injuries is hard. Predicting how much a guy's size influence that risk is impossible.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

double a trenton (yankees) threw a combined no hitter

Deivi was 5 IP, 2 BB, 9 K

he just turned 20 too.  im not sure they call him up this year.  he might be the replacement for CC in the rotation next year

Edited by jfazz23

It might be hyperbolic, but these are noteworthy quotes imo nonetheless:

"For a lack of a better word, he's been dominant," Thunder manager Pat Osborn said. "He has a really good four-pitch mix and all four right now are probably above the Major League average. He's a heck of a competitor and has the composure of a guy that's been pitching for a number of years. He's the full package in terms of what you want in a young starting pitcher."

"I guess the best way to put it is if he throws a bad pitch with one of his pitches, he will go right back to that pitch the next pitch without any hesitation," he said. "A lot of young pitchers, if they don't have a certain pitch working or if they make a bad pitch, they will shy away from going back to it. He stares it right in the face and says, 'I'm going to make this pitch better.'"

Quite simply, Osborne said, Garcia "oozes confidence."

"He challenges hitters and he's not scared of contact," the first-year Thunder skipper added. "You watch him out there and his demeanor wouldn't dictate whether he's throwing a no-hitter or he's given up 10 runs. He's the same no matter what."

"This kid is eager to learn and he loves taking the English classes we provide," Osborn said. "He's a bright kid that is anxious to learn. He's just a rare young man that you sometimes find around this game."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RW put out their latest Garcia blurb today indicating that his command/control still need to be ironed out. He has a 1.05 career WHIP through 247 career innings at the lower levels (1.09 WHIP so far through 47 innings at AA). MLB's most recent blurb on him states "Though he doesn't have the smoothest delivery, Garcia repeats it well and exhibits advanced control and command for such a young pitcher."

Just found that to be an odd caveat from RW.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dark One said:

RW put out their latest Garcia blurb today indicating that his command/control still need to be ironed out. He has a 1.05 career WHIP through 247 career innings at the lower levels (1.09 WHIP so far through 47 innings at AA). MLB's most recent blurb on him states "Though he doesn't have the smoothest delivery, Garcia repeats it well and exhibits advanced control and command for such a young pitcher."

Probably because he walks a lot of guys.  He has 30 BB's in 64.2 IP this year.  His WHIP is great because he's insanely hard to hit.  He's allowed 13 more hits than walks this year which is pretty crazy.

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It might be hyperbolic, but these are noteworthy quotes imo nonetheless:

"For a lack of a better word, he's been dominant," Thunder manager Pat Osborn said. "He has a really good four-pitch mix and all four right now are probably above the Major League average. He's a heck of a competitor and has the composure of a guy that's been pitching for a number of years. He's the full package in terms of what you want in a young starting pitcher."

"I guess the best way to put it is if he throws a bad pitch with one of his pitches, he will go right back to that pitch the next pitch without any hesitation," he said. "A lot of young pitchers, if they don't have a certain pitch working or if they make a bad pitch, they will shy away from going back to it. He stares it right in the face and says, 'I'm going to make this pitch better.'"

Quite simply, Osborne said, Garcia "oozes confidence."

"He challenges hitters and he's not scared of contact," the first-year Thunder skipper added. "You watch him out there and his demeanor wouldn't dictate whether he's throwing a no-hitter or he's given up 10 runs. He's the same no matter what."

"This kid is eager to learn and he loves taking the English classes we provide," Osborn said. "He's a bright kid that is anxious to learn. He's just a rare young man that you sometimes find around this game."

I love to hear that. The fact that he is not afraid of contact I think is something that shouldn’t be overlooked. A lot of times guys with great stuff try to nitpick or get guys to chase, often times leading to trouble. I love that his manager states he isn’t afraid to throw the same pitch after he just made a bad one too. These 2 things are great to hear from a guy with his kind of stuff! If he can keep his confidence and approach heading into the bigs this guy could really be something special.

• Like 1

I am more confident with each start that he gets the call this season and I think the Yankees will give him every opportunity in the rotation. But wherever he ends up he's gonna be special, I don't care how tall he is. I am now calling him Lil Pedro.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

I am more confident with each start that he gets the call this season and I think the Yankees will give him every opportunity in the rotation. But wherever he ends up he's gonna be special, I don't care how tall he is. I am now calling him Lil Pedro.  

how many innings due you expect from him tho? he's only 10 IP away from his max last year of 74 and we haven't even reached the allstar break..

keeper leagues he's a good stash for 2020 depending on size of the league and dynasty he should obviously be gone. redraft? i don't know... 40IP (or less) ROS from the pen isn't that valuable, especially with how many high leverage arms the yanks have in the pen.

year - IP

• 2016 - 48.1
  • 2017 - 60
  • 2018 - 74
  • 2019 - 64.2 so far..
Edited by osb_tensor
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dark One said:

They said Garrett Cooper would never be on the fantasy radar

• Like 1