FouLLine

Deivi Garcia - RHP NYY

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

how many innings due you expect from him tho? he's only 10 IP away from his max last year of 74 and we haven't even reached the allstar break..

keeper leagues he's a good stash for 2020 depending on size of the league and dynasty he should obviously be gone. redraft? i don't know... 40IP (or less) ROS from the pen isn't that valuable, especially with how many high leverage arms the yanks have in the pen.

year - IP

• 2016 - 48.1
  • 2017 - 60
  • 2018 - 74
  • 2019 - 64.2 so far..

Hey I'd take 40 innings from him with a 15 K/9 all day lol

You shouldn't be counting on him at all for redraft and I don't expect him to maintain his K rates into the majors... but on the off chance he does? That's essentially a free Josh Hader for however long he is up. 

Again, I would not count on him at all for redraft but I do think we see him in the majors this year. 

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 1

I came across this little article by PinStripeAlley on Deivi Garcia 

thedozen asks: Do you expect to see Deivi Garcia in Yankee pinstripes this season?

Garcia, 20, has established himself as the team’s most intriguing pitcher in the Yankees’ farm system. Over 64.2 innings split between High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton, the right-hander sports a 2.78 ERA (1.72 FIP) with a ridiculous 15.17 K/9 rate. In his last two outings, he started a combined no-hitter and struck out 15 batters.

Keith Law, who considers Garcia the Yankees’ top prospect, attended a recent game he started. Here’s an excerpt from his scouting report(subscription required for the full write-up):

Throwing on Monday night in Trenton, Garcia was 91-96 against Reading with an above-average to plus curveball at 77-80 that was his best pitch for getting into the zone, an above-average mid-80s changeup, and now a new slider at 84-87 with good tilt and some late bite, close to a cutter in shape.

While he has some delivery concerns, Law also talks up Garcia’s deception, which bodes well for a future in the rotation.

As for seeing him in the Bronx this summer, I think it’s possible. A September call-up seems more likely, though. While moving aggressively, he isn’t exactly on the 2015 Luis Severino fast track. That year saw Severino make eight starts in Double-A before moving up to Scranton, then he earned a call-up in August after 11 starts with the RailRiders.

Garcia has four starts in Tampa under his belt, and just finished his ninth game for Trenton. It’s possible the Yankees skip Scranton entirely—they did that with Jonathan Loaisiga—but a promotion to Triple-A and a call up in September feels like the most logical progression.

I think DG will be up at some point this season but it may not be until rosters expand. 

My only concern is how many innings he has pitched so far and how many they will let him pitch the rest of the way. 

Someone posted above he threw 74 last year and he’s at 64 so far this year. 

Are they going to let him throw 120?

My guess is either a relief role in September or if injuries strike then a possible spot start before then. I feel like this may be the consensus but I do feel pretty confident on seeing him this year as long as he keeps up the momentum.

1 hour ago, Under500Forever said:

I came across this little article by PinStripeAlley on Deivi Garcia 

thedozen asks: Do you expect to see Deivi Garcia in Yankee pinstripes this season?

Garcia, 20, has established himself as the team’s most intriguing pitcher in the Yankees’ farm system. Over 64.2 innings split between High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton, the right-hander sports a 2.78 ERA (1.72 FIP) with a ridiculous 15.17 K/9 rate. In his last two outings, he started a combined no-hitter and struck out 15 batters.

Keith Law, who considers Garcia the Yankees’ top prospect, attended a recent game he started. Here’s an excerpt from his scouting report(subscription required for the full write-up):

Throwing on Monday night in Trenton, Garcia was 91-96 against Reading with an above-average to plus curveball at 77-80 that was his best pitch for getting into the zone, an above-average mid-80s changeup, and now a new slider at 84-87 with good tilt and some late bite, close to a cutter in shape.

While he has some delivery concerns, Law also talks up Garcia’s deception, which bodes well for a future in the rotation.

As for seeing him in the Bronx this summer, I think it’s possible. A September call-up seems more likely, though. While moving aggressively, he isn’t exactly on the 2015 Luis Severino fast track. That year saw Severino make eight starts in Double-A before moving up to Scranton, then he earned a call-up in August after 11 starts with the RailRiders.

Garcia has four starts in Tampa under his belt, and just finished his ninth game for Trenton. It’s possible the Yankees skip Scranton entirely—they did that with Jonathan Loaisiga—but a promotion to Triple-A and a call up in September feels like the most logical progression.

I think DG will be up at some point this season but it may not be until rosters expand. 

My only concern is how many innings he has pitched so far and how many they will let him pitch the rest of the way. 

Someone posted above he threw 74 last year and he’s at 64 so far this year. 

Are they going to let him throw 120?

Oh man I really hope they can get him to 120 innings this season. I deff would not mind seeing him pitching in relief by September. With the focus on him being a full time starter next year. I do not want to see him being moved around from relief to starting to relief to starting.  They need to have 1 goal in mind with Deivi Garcia, get him to 120 innings this season.  So they could have him pitching between 160-180 innings next year. Then by his 2nd full season they could unleash the full Garcia. We have no idea how he holds up on a starters workload.  He may not be able to maintain his elite stuff deep into a season when pitching on starters innings.  Thats why the main goal needs to be get him to 120 innings this season. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DG pitched on Monday 

His final line was:

4 innings-7 hits-3 runs-3 Walks-5 Ks

Not a great start but not horrible either.

Edited by Under500Forever

It seems more and more likely that DG will get a taste of the majors this year as long as he pitches well in AAA. 

2 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Deivi is being promoted to AAA after the Future's Game 💪

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

he started the futures all star game

struck out Christian Pache on a 96 mph fastball, got ahead of Carter Keiboom and got a weak fly ball and then the same to Isan Diaz (dont know him)

they were talking about his spin rate and Haroly reynolds called his FastBall against Pache "nasty"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So if all goes well this year, will he potentially begin next season with the Yanks in an SP role?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, soccerphysio said:

So if all goes well this year, will he potentially begin next season with the Yanks in an SP role?

If he's able to begin next season in the majors, that means he's probably able to finish this season in the majors.  There's a wide variety of outcomes of when he starts/stays up.  Becoming a starter this year and never letting the job go is within those possibilities as is no call up until Super 2 next year (and anything in between). He could also very easily be limited to relief or get hurt too.

Edited by brockpapersizer

25 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If he's able to begin next season in the majors, that means he's probably able to finish this season in the majors.  There's a wide variety of outcomes of when he starts/stays up.  Becoming a starter this year and never letting the job go is within those possibilities as is no call up until Super 2 next year (and anything in between). He could also very easily be limited to relief or get hurt too.

That's kind of what I thought, too early to tell.  I wasn't sure if the Yanks gave any indication of their potential plans.  Might have to scoop him up now and hope he starts sometime early next year in the majors.

I feel like more and more teams are going to be going to "openers".  

I could see him starting as one of those 3-4 inning guys like the Rays have.  He's just so small, I could see the Yankees breaking him in that way

On 7/8/2019 at 3:02 PM, The Man said:

I feel like more and more teams are going to be going to "openers".  

I could see him starting as one of those 3-4 inning guys like the Rays have.  He's just so small, I could see the Yankees breaking him in that way

its possible.  start chad green, who has been great lately, for the first 1 or 2 innings, then bring Deivi in for 3 or 4

i think he needs 4 or 5 starts in AAA first though

Again, I definitely see opportunity for a spot start if injuries strike. Paxton you know is due for another IL stint before the season is up and if another member of rotation goes down then I’d think Deivi gets a call. Bullpen though is more likely and I think he will be dominant. I feel pretty confident we WILL see him in MLB this year unless he poops the bed in AAA

He looked like a cool customer in that semi-large Futures Game stage, though the bigs and esp NY are up several ticks from that. Could be quite the weapon come playoff time.

Kieth Law just ranked Deivi as number 29 in his midseason top 50 prospect list

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Kieth Law just ranked Deivi as number 29 in his midseason top 50 prospect list

Is there a link to the list somewhere?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Is there a link to the list somewhere?

ill look but i think its an insider thing 

edit: yes its espn insider

Edited by jfazz23
  • Thanks 1

Here is a snippet from Klaw's Update on him:

"I have seen him three times this summer, and he's always 90-96 with three viable off-speed pitches, usually at least two of them showing plus, and hitters cut through his fastball like he's throwing 105 with spin. There's a ton of deception in his delivery -- from behind the plate, I can't pick the ball up until the last possible second from his hand -- and he pitches in the strike zone with the confidence of a big leaguer. I can't put a huge ceiling on a kid this small, but I like him as much as I can like a pitcher this size and weight."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

toHere is a snippet from Klaw's Update on him:

"I have seen him three times this summer, and he's always 90-96 with three viable off-speed pitches, usually at least two of them showing plus, and hitters cut through his fastball like he's throwing 105 with spin. There's a ton of deception in his delivery -- from behind the plate, I can't pick the ball up until the last possible second from his hand -- and he pitches in the strike zone with the confidence of a big leaguer. I can't put a huge ceiling on a kid this small, but I like him as much as I can like a pitcher this size and weight."

Thanks for sharing.  He is going to have to prove he is durable enough to hold up over 200IP, before people drop the 'small kid' thing.  Until he does, it would seem it's the only thing holding him back from elite prospect status (well that and he needs to cut down the walk rate).

Kinda surprised more Lincecum comps aren't being thrown around with his size, stuff, and deceptive delivery

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cs3 said:

Kinda surprised more Lincecum comps aren't being thrown around with his size, stuff, and deceptive delivery

hes more pedro than Tim

:)