FouLLine

Deivi Garcia - RHP NYY

On 1/18/2019 at 1:01 PM, BigPapi44 said:

He's listed at 5'10 and it's hard to know how 'updated' that is.  I agree with you guys, there have been very few pitchers in the modern era, not named Tim Lincecum or Pedro Martinez, that have found a lot of success as a starting pitcher that are under 6 feet.

I did mention Lincecum as well.  It's really only him and Pedro that have found real success as starters at that height in the last 15 years.

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

I did mention Lincecum as well.  It's really only him and Pedro that have found real success as starters at that height in the last 15 years.

Sonny Gray 

Stroman (although he's thicker).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pan55 said:

Roy Oswald

Oswalt was actually 6'0.

I’m really excited for DG’s first AAA start tomorrow at 7:05. 

I hope he goes out there and dominates. 

LETS GO DG! 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, IvoryHunter said:

If it wasn't the Mets, I'd be okay with it.  Likely btter for fantasy to go to the NL (barring a Rockies/Reds/D-Backs home park).

His first AAA start was okay: 5IP, 6hits, 3ER (1HR allowed), 1BB, 6Ks.  One positive to take is only 1BB.  85 pitches and 57 for strikes. (*I don't think they'll bring him back out in the 6th*)

20 and in AAA.  Due to his size, youth, and lack of built up innings I really hope they don't push him to hard this year, or bring him up later in the season.  I know it may be unpopular to some, but I'd rather see him max his innings in the minors and worry about the majors next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IvoryHunter said:

degrom or scherzer

otherwise Deivi is untouchable to me

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

The walks got to him tonight. 3IP, 3hits, 1ER, 4BB, 4Ks

Not a terrible outing but I agree, he walked to many guys tonight. 

Hopefully he gets in a groove so he can finish strong. He’s held his own so far. Not great but not terrible either.

Garcia is listed at 5’9.  How many modern pitchers have been successful at that slight stature? Pedro? Lincecum? They’re both two inches taller at 5’11!  

6 hours ago, Yourbettstulo said:

Garcia is listed at 5’9.  How many modern pitchers have been successful at that slight stature? Pedro? Lincecum? They’re both two inches taller at 5’11!  

The same ones discussed already in this thread. Literally at the top of this same page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He didn’t have a great start on Thursday but it was ok.

6 IP, 6 hits,  4 Runs , 1 walk , 4 Ks , he gave up 2 homeruns.

He’s 20 years old in aaa so I’m sure he’s adjusting. 

When he was first brought up from AA I thought he would definitely be up this year but since he hasn’t been pitching that great in AAA I’m not sure anymore. 

He could come up in the BP.  I think he ultimately could be trade bait though.  I don't think the Yankees trust a 5'9" pitcher - not his stuff, but his durability as a starter.  I think they're so aggressive with his promotions because they want to sell high on him while healthy.  Also aggressively promoting him as a starter gets him ready quicker for MLB bullpen.  

If they wanted to sell high on him they'd keep him in AA without the juiced ball wrecking his surface stats.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

If they wanted to sell high on him they'd keep him in AA without the juiced ball wrecking his surface stats.

is the AAA ball the same as the show? and AA is not?

10 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

is the AAA ball the same as the show? and AA is not?

Correct. There’s a belief amongst some that many teams hold their pitchers in AA now for that reason , and only promote when they think they will contribute to the majors soon.

Conversely, if you have a good hitter in AA and he isn’t lighting the world on fire but only hitting decently , I wouldn’t worry , because he’s facing very good competition without the juiced ball.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

He could come up in the BP.  I think he ultimately could be trade bait though.  I don't think the Yankees trust a 5'9" pitcher - not his stuff, but his durability as a starter.  I think they're so aggressive with his promotions because they want to sell high on him while healthy.  Also aggressively promoting him as a starter gets him ready quicker for MLB bullpen.  

If they don't trust a pitcher because he is 5'9", why would they trade for the 5'7" Stroman?

1 minute ago, pan55 said:

If they don't trust a pitcher because he is 5'9", why would they trade for the 5'7" Stroman?

Because most of the time these short guys flame out either when they debut or beforehand. Stroman is very ground ball oriented and is an exception not the rule. 

Nobody should be "trusted" until proven, regardless of height. How's Forrest Whitley's trust at the moment?

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Nobody should be "trusted" until proven, regardless of height. How's Forrest Whitley's trust at the moment?

Not good, but don’t you have an injury history and a PED suspension involved with Whitley? A bad frame I would suspect would just amplify injury risk.

also I don’t think the AAA bump should affect his stock negatively even if he performs poorly. MLB execs are smart enough to take the juiced ball into account and just standardize all of Deivi’s stats and compare it to league average

I don’t get the whole juiced ball excuse... the MLB is using the same ball so if they can’t pitch well in AAA then how will they pitch well in MLB?

I understand it more for hitters. 

1 minute ago, Maxcd99 said:

Not good, but don’t you have an injury history and a PED suspension involved with Whitley? A bad frame I would suspect would just amplify injury risk.

also I don’t think the AAA bump should affect his stock negatively even if he performs poorly. MLB execs are smart enough to take the juiced ball into account and just standardize all of Deivi’s stats and compare it to league average

My point was to refute the "not trusting Deivi" comment by saying no minor league pitcher should just be trusted to handle a big game or something in the bigs, regardless of height. Not sure I want whoever the best pitcher in the minors is pitching a playoff game at this second, and if I do, it's certainly not because of trust.

I think Whitley got suspended for like adderall or something in the offseaosn, that he said he used to stay awake for a long car ride or something. Wasn't like steroids or something.

• Like 1