FouLLine

Deivi Garcia - RHP NYY

This isn’t exactly from a great baseball source but it’s interesting. Who knows if he will be up because he has struggled at AAA and he has already thrown about 90+ innings and the most he has thrown in the past was 75ish. I get mixed signals from the article but the writer seems to think García will be up at some point.

https://www.lavidabaseball.com/yankees-deivi-garcia/

But each one offers a specific dividend that Cashman believes will rescue the Yankees down the stretch. Severino, who’s scheduled to be activated within 2-3 weeks, will become the ace Cashman was unable to find at the deadline. Betances will be the eighth-inning bridge to closer Aroldis Chapman. And García will arrive in September, if not sooner, to allow the other Yankees’ starters to occasionally skip a turn in the rotation as they prepare for the post-season.

“We have assets on the way,” Cashman said recently, convinced that’s all the Yankees will need. 

The cost of a potential second swap was exorbitant, though: for Stroman to become a Yankee Cashman would’ve had to give up Garcia and Estevan Florial. That’s where the negotiations would begin. There would be other Yankees prospects involved but the pre-requisite was that both blue-chippers would be included. García and Florial. Not one or the other. Both.

Cashman said thanks but no thanks and promptly cut off any further dialogue with his counterpart Brodie Van Wagenen. It was an outrageous request in the Yankees’ minds but hardly surprising. Everyone, it seemed, was looking for a way to pry Garcia loose.

But one Yankees insider said the barrage only steeled Cashman’s reserve to hold onto his young righty.

“The more Cash listened to the offers on Deivi, the more convinced he was that the kid wasn’t going anywhere,” said the Yankees’ source. That’s one reason why Cashman looked so composed after the deadline had passed. There was no sense of anger or disappointment. If Cashman was worried about the back page of the Post.  he wasn’t showing it.

Instead he matter-of-factly said, “we were never close” on any deal. And that was that. The club will now turn its attention to the Big Three. Severino’s and Betances’ shoulder issues are in the final stages of being resolved, which means the only remaining question is whether García will arrive before or after Sept. 1. The answer will determine whether the rookie will be eligible for post-season play.

Either way, García will bring with him an impressive strikeout ratio in the minor leagues: 138 K’s in 90.1 innings as of this week. He has a clean, athletic delivery that evaluators believe will protect his arm in years to come. However, there are two factors working against Garcia.

He was only recently promoted to Class-AAA in July and it would be a long shot to think the Yankees would subject him to major league hitters less than a month later. Garcia’s workload is also on the Yankees’ minds. His previous full-season high was 74 innings last year; he’s already well past that threshold.

Whenever García arrives, it won’t be long before he’s shut down until 2020. It remains to be seen in what capacity the Yankees deploy the rookie. But he’s on the way as Cashman keeps his fingers tightly crossed.

Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2019 at 9:18 AM, bjvance5 said:

I don’t get the whole juiced ball excuse... the MLB is using the same ball so if they can’t pitch well in AAA then how will they pitch well in MLB?

I understand it more for hitters. 

Well the PCL was always considered the most hitter friendly league in the minors (Well when high desert and Bakersfield were still around, the Cal was seen as the most hitter friendly). So add the juiced up ball into the PCL and you're gonna have some serious runs put on.  But the International league was never really considered an extreme hitters league but this year the entire AAA has become a bloodbath for starting pitchers. 

I also wondered why the AAA ball seems much more juiced then the MLB this year,  when it's supposed to be the exact same as the MLB ball. Besides Zac Gallen who straight up dominated AAA this year with an insane 1.77 ERA in 91 innings, I haven't seen any other starting pitchers dominate. The second best ERA in AAA is Despaigne at 3.55 ERA but hes only pitched 41 innings. Mitch Keller has the 3rd best at 3.56 ERA in 103 Innings. Im not usually a fan of ERA as a standalone stat but its perfect to illustrate my example and shows just how tough AAA is this year. Every single SP in AAA this year, besides Gallen, has a higher ERA of 3.55.

Last year there were 9 SPs with their ERAs in the 2's. And a total of (17?) with below a 3.55 ERA.

The juiced ball has absolutely wreaked havoc on AAA this year. And while Deivi Garcia has finally been challenged for the first time in his MiLB career, I have to keep reminding myself that he's a 20 year old in AAA. Since Deivi Garcia arrived in full season ball he has always had his FIP & XFIP in the 1s and 2s (showing how great he really has been). But all of a sudden in the 5's and 6's in AAA. AAA stats (basic and advanced) are all extremely skewed.

I cannot understand why the ball does not seem as juiced in the majors as it does in AAA but every front office knows that a pitcher struggling in AAA this year should come with an asterisk. I really hope they go back to the original ball next season or else you're gonna see AAA being skipped more often for pitchers because It's gotta be confidence shattering and will lead to young pitchers trying to change up everything they've done up to that point which will cause even more issues for when they do get up to the majors. 

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2019 at 6:18 AM, bjvance5 said:

I don’t get the whole juiced ball excuse... the MLB is using the same ball so if they can’t pitch well in AAA then how will they pitch well in MLB?

In a 15 team roto league im in. Again 15 teams not 30.And those 15 teams using the best players with plenty on the bench and on waivers, the top average in that league is 272.

Think about that when hearing the average slash line for AAA. Literally the average slash line is basically the starters of the first place team in my 15 team league. 

I wouldn't see a pitcher struggling in AAA meaning too much on its own.  However, if a pitcher dominates for half a season in this AAA climate, I'm quite interested. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

DG has a decent start the other day. I’m going off the top of my head but I think he pitch 4.1 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 5 Ks. I read since the grip of the baseball is  different his breaking ball has lost dip.

15 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

DG has a decent start the other day. I’m going off the top of my head but I think he pitch 4.1 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 5 Ks. I read since the grip of the baseball is  different his breaking ball has lost dip.

Should be noted that both of the ER were from inherited runners that scored.

• Thanks 1

51 walks in 103.2 IP this year.  This is the only thing holding him back from greatness.  No pitcher can succeed long-term with poor command.

I would practice a lot of patience here. He's barely 20 years old in AAA, when AAA is playing more hitter friendly than ever. Certainly not expecting a top 30 or so MLB Pitcher next year. This might be a project, but the talent at an early age is obvious.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I would practice a lot of patience here. He's barely 20 years old in AAA, when AAA is playing more hitter friendly than ever. Certainly not expecting a top 30 or so MLB Pitcher next year. This might be a project, but the talent at an early age is obvious.

Exactly Brock. Its easy to forget he's only 20 years old. He's 6 years younger then the average age of triple a players.  That's huge. He actually shows pretty good command of his pitches (hits the spots hes supposed to from what i hear). Its his control that he struggles with and thats completely understandable as he's a pitcher that relies on his insane spin rate (on both his FB and CB). SPs with elite spin rates have a tendency to take longer developing their control. 

One major thing Garcia has going for him is that he's supposedly extremely athletic and Yankees pitching coaches have said they aren't concerned about the development of his control.  They are concerned as to whether he can ever carry a starters workload. He broke thru the 100 inning benchmark this season which is encouraging. Hopefully next season he can go 150-160 innings before being shutdown (although they most likely will manage his innings without needing to be shutdown). Im guessing the shackles will come off in 2021 and we'll really be able to gauge if he can go deep into starts and throw 180-200+ innings yearly. Marcus Stroman has proved he can do it but it's rare for sub 5'9 starters to do it. 

I really want to see him achieve it and I'm starting to believe it will happen. But Im sure most bet (and that would be the smart bet) that he ends up a reliever in the end. 

Edited by JakeSarna

After watching him in the futures game this year, there’s no doubt in my mind this kid will be special. Ball just jumps out of his hand with a smooth and non-violent delivery. Located. Great demeanor and confidence at a big stage. Granted it was 1 inning but that’s all I needed to see.

moved to the bullpen in AAA.  wonder if he gets called up in september?

7 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

This move is another step in that direction. If he pitches well out of the pen I think he will definitely get a shot when rosters expand. 

He pitched out of the bullpen tonight

2 IP , 3 hits, 1 run, 0 walks , 5 Ks

would have been nice if he kept that run off the scoreboard but you have to love the 5Ks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

Yeah The Yankees will certainly need Deivi in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Yeah The Yankees will certainly need Deivi in the playoffs.

huh?  i doubt he makes the playoff roster

14 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

huh?  i doubt he makes the playoff roster

Kevin Cash already hinted at it when he said not making a move at the trade deadline was the best thing for them as they have untapped assets aka Severino, Betances, and Deivi.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/08/how-yankees-see-top-prospect-deivi-garcia-possibly-helping-very-soon.html

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/24/2019 at 12:00 AM, FouLLine said:

Kevin Cash already hinted at it when he said not making a move at the trade deadline was the best thing for them as they have untapped assets aka Severino, Betances, and Deivi.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/08/how-yankees-see-top-prospect-deivi-garcia-possibly-helping-very-soon.html

lol *Brian Cashman

Edited by FouLLine

The Yankees called up a few players but not DG. He has let up runs in each of his last 3 games coming in as a reliever. 

It’s late in the year and he’s struggling. 

Does he still get a shot?

Just saw a report by The Athletic saying they don’t plan on promoting DG this year. I don’t blame the yanks since DG has been terrible since going to the bullpen. He allowed 5 runs on 1 inning last night. 

I’m talking to myself at this point since football started.  there is still hope for a callup! 

Could Yankee farmhand Deivi Garcia’s subpar Triple-A campaign end with a call up to the bigs? The Bombers say it could happen.

Now that the RailRiders’ season is over the Yankees are sending Garcia to keep working out in their minor league complex down in Tampa just in case they need his live arm for the stretch run in the Bronx.

“It’s not out of the realm that at some point he could still be a factor,” manager Aaron Boone said of Garcia on Sunday.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 5:24 PM, Under500Forever said:

I’m talking to myself at this point since football started.  there is still hope for a callup! 

Could Yankee farmhand Deivi Garcia’s subpar Triple-A campaign end with a call up to the bigs? The Bombers say it could happen.

Now that the RailRiders’ season is over the Yankees are sending Garcia to keep working out in their minor league complex down in Tampa just in case they need his live arm for the stretch run in the Bronx.

“It’s not out of the realm that at some point he could still be a factor,” manager Aaron Boone said of Garcia on Sunday.

They probably won't call him up until the season ends or until during the playoffs... They will want him on the roster at some point that I am fairly certain of.

Also keep in mind this is the most innings he's ever thrown.  So really they would be smart to give him a couple weeks off so they can get 3 - 5 innings out of him in the post season.  The Yankees really should have made this bullpen transition about a month sooner to limit his innings a little better / get him more comfortable sooner. 

Think about it Deivi is probably the youngest player in AAA pitching with a juiced ball now and a ball that is vastly different than Adavanced A / AA already at far more innings than he's ever pitched in a season before in his life and on top of all of that they want him to transition into a bullpen pitcher.  Couple that with Deivi's out pitch being the curveball (the different seams take time to get used to).  Are we really surprised here with all Deivi's had going against him in AAA?  People who don't have Deivi in keeper leagues or who plan to target him next year should be thankful he got light up because it keeps him more under the radar than if he was lighting AAA up.  But the hype could boil over when he strikes out the side in the ALCS vs Houston.  If you follow baseball card value you'll notice Deivi's cards are vastly higher in price than McKenzie Gore, Casey Mize, Michael Kopech, Nate Pearson, Brendan McKay all of these names entered the season with exponentially higher dynasty value than Deivi and most of them are still likely ranked higher in the mainstream they certainly are higher on the prospect boards but for some reason Deivi's card is 4x-5x greater in price (mostly people speculating playoff dominance I'm sure).

The real problem to me seems to be that The Yankees really didn't even realize what they had in Deivi Garcia until mid season.  I'm sure end May they had him at a 0% chance of making the MLB roster (otherwise you would think they would have started the bullpen transition around then anticipating he could help the MLB club) but then he was virtually unhittable in June in AA while being probably the youngest pitcher there as well and then that's probably when The Yankees started thinking hmmm... 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 3:24 PM, Under500Forever said:

I'm reading all your updates!

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2019 at 7:38 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I'm reading all your updates!

Thanks pal!

it seemed like it was just me once football started. 

@FouLLine you really think he will be up this year? I agree they didn’t realize what they had until he had already thrown a lot of innings. The Yanks should have definitely started the transition sooner. 

im sure he is still throwing and trying to stay ready as best he can but wouldn’t they be worried He hasn’t pitched in awhile? So He is going to come in having not faced batters on a game situation in a month and he will be on the mound in a Yankee? Seems risky to me. I’d love to have him come up because it’s a big win for me in my dynasty league. 

Edited by Under500Forever