hard1

Josh Adams 2018 Outlook

I love this guy... straight monster last year at Notre Dame.... big and fast...udfa for the Eagles this year because of a foot injury... healthy now.... modest start 6 carries 30 yards....but he's got a chance to be real good... Ajayi is only signed thru this year.... the Eagles might have their Blount replacement but this kid can be better...

Josh Adams meets the pre-reqs for side and speed, but as a Norte Dame fan and constant watcher I’ve never really been sold on Adams. Don’t love his posture when he runs. Don’t like his balance/vision comparatively. Just in Notre Dame I felt Dexter Williams was so evidently the better back when they were both on the field. Cuts sharper and moves cleaner.

I think at best Josh adams becomes Latavius Murray.

• Like 1

He's definitely upright and he seems loose on the highlights like you said cuts aren't sharp... I think Duce is a good rb coach and adams looks like he can get some yac... if he can meet somewhere in between...I think he could be better than murray, but right now he doesn't even have a roster spot... I think he can get one though...

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, hard1 said:

He's definitely upright and he seems loose on the highlights like you said cuts aren't sharp... I think Duce is a good rb coach and adams looks like he can get some yac... if he can meet somewhere in between...I think he could be better than murray, but right now he doesn't even have a roster spot... I think he can get one though...

I definitely agree that he has desirable traits and I see how a coach would like to see what he could do with them. That said, as previously alluded to there was just a point last year where J.A. was picking up speed and was a Heisman Candidate as well as a projected 3rd rounder on many boards. My film watching because of the hype just did not make me believe he could be an NFL Caliber RB. 

If I saw him running with a bit of a different posture or looking a bit sharper, perhaps I could see it. But to me, for the size he is he’s never evaded tacklers the way he should. He doesn’t break the percentage of tackles you’d think for a guy that big and fast. He was, IMO, brought down a bit too easily against college defenders. NFL will obviously not be easier. 

He had big plays all year, and does have a high last gear for a guy his size. That said, he succeeded mostly in runs where he had big obvious holes and got his run started. He has a left side of the line that you just frankly don’t get often in College with QN and MM, both top 10 picks. These are situations that most RBs should excel at tremendously. I don’t think he has the one cut quickness that really helps backs like Lev or a guy like recently retired Forte get the 3-4 yards on bad plays. I don’t think he has the balance to make the most of his power. I think he loses his power by his upright running style.

Him being a UDFA confirmed these opinions for me. He looks like Tarzan, but he’s a lot more Jane to me. 

FWIW, as someone who’s spent his whole life around ND Campus/Football, I do hope I’m wrong about my Domers. But idk, in my opinion, when you compare the above video to this video it isn’t close:

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

He's gonna have a tough time makin the squad but he looks good so far. It looks like Pumphrey & Smallwood are on the fence so who knows. It seems Dougy P likes him. 

On 11/8/2018 at 8:41 AM, South Carolina said:

In crowded RB competition, undrafted Josh Adams pulls ahead

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-stock-stock-down-1st-preseason-game

[Josh Adams 
I want to see more of Adams. The undrafted rookie from Notre Dame got six carries for 30 yards and showed some explosiveness. He also caught two balls for 11 yards. Wendell Smallwood got in the game before Adams, but I want that flipped next week. I want to see Adams at least go up against second-team players. I wouldn’t rule him out of a roster spot just yet. ]

It's a crowded backfield but at this point I don't think Pumphrey or Smallwood are makin the team. 

Yeah as long as Adams stays healthy no way Smallwood or pumphrey make team over him...

I think Smallwood can still beat him out. I view Josh Adams as a less talented Latavius Murray. Long-term I don't view him as much. But he could be a decent handcuff or complementary back in a season or two.

• Like 1

What if he was a less talented Arian Foster? Granted he had a great line in front of him and some huge holes... but there are several runs there where he had to get small and shed lots of arm tackles...and maybe his success in college was because he played loose and nimble and he lost balance but never fell over... maybe he's the drunken master...

13 minutes ago, hard1 said:

What if he was a less talented Arian Foster? Granted he had a great line in front of him and some huge holes... but there are several runs there where he had to get small and shed lots of arm tackles...and maybe his success in college was because he played loose and nimble and he lost balance but never fell over... maybe he's the drunken master...

They don't need him to be Foster. They need a situational complimentary back. He's not going to take snaps away from Ajayi, Clement or Sproles.

1 hour ago, South Carolina said:

They don't need him to be Foster. They need a situational complimentary back. He's not going to take snaps away from Ajayi, Clement or Sproles.

Yes I'm aware of what the Eagles think they are looking for.... my response was more into the Lat Murray remarks made here...

5 hours ago, hard1 said:

Yes I'm aware of what the Eagles think they are looking for.... my response was more into the Lat Murray remarks made here...

His running style is very similar to that of Murray. And he lacks the lateral agility to be elusive and break tackles at the 2nd level just like Murray.

Posted (edited)

Mike Clay (@MikeClayNFL) Tweeted:
Shocked Notre Dame RB Josh Adams wasn't drafted. Best YAC in the class. Best PFF Elusive rating other than Rashaad Penny. Good size. Not much of a receiver. Intrigued to see where he latches on.

Funny all the haters on yac and elusive rating... Lat Murray? Pft. The Drunken Master

Edited by hard1

16 hours ago, devaster said:

I think Smallwood can still beat him out. I view Josh Adams as a less talented Latavius Murray. Long-term I don't view him as much. But he could be a decent handcuff or complementary back in a season or two.

yuck. smallwood sucks. pumphrey is better than him imo 

Just now, cdd10 said:

Smallwood is decent, but gets injured easily. Pumphrey is a satellite back and looked lost last season.

1 hour ago, cdd10 said:

They are both gone in 2 weeks 

• Like 1

Surprised didn't get more run last night only 4 carries but now sitting at 10 carries 63 yards...gonna be hard to let him go if thats what they decide

10 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Surprised didn't get more run last night only 4 carries but now sitting at 10 carries 63 yards...gonna be hard to let him go if thats what they decide

It wouldn't be hard to let him go. I expect them to try and sign him to PS. If not, nothing is lost.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

It wouldn't be hard to let him go. I expect them to try and sign him to PS. If not, nothing is lost.

I think he makes he squad. He fills that Lagarrett Blount void. Despite last nights game I don't think Smallwood or Pumphrey will make the roster.