Sternes

Giovani Bernard 2018 Outlook

giphy.gif

Had a November 2016 ACL tear. 

In 2017 started to look good at the end of the season.  Averaged 4.4 to Mixon's 3.5 YPC.  The last 5 games of the season got 10+ carries, and in 4 of the 5 averaged over 5 YPC. 

Another year of recovery,  been a good pass catcher, and dirt cheap.  I'm not sure why this guy doesn't have a thread.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Another year of recovery,  been a good pass catcher, and dirt cheap.  I'm not sure why this guy doesn't have a thread.

Because if you insinuate that Mixon might not be a three down back the angry Mixon-ites pour out of the woodwork. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

I loved Gio when he first came out. He seemed like he could be an elite 3 down back in the league, then Jeremy Hill showed up and that backfield has been a cluster ever since. It really comes down to what the coaching staff wants to do. I still believe in Gio's talent but and he would be one of the value's of the draft if they let him but I think it's about to be the Mixon show, and he's just going to be a complimentary piece. 

7 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I loved Gio when he first came out. He seemed like he could be an elite 3 down back in the league, then Jeremy Hill showed up and that backfield has been a cluster ever since. It really comes down to what the coaching staff wants to do. I still believe in Gio's talent but and he would be one of the value's of the draft if they let him but I think it's about to be the Mixon show, and he's just going to be a complimentary piece. 

I think part of why Gio looked so good as a rookie was because he was being compared to Green-Ellis. He's been ok since; Hue Jackson insisted on making him a bellcow the next year which failed miserably and opened the door for Hill, and he's been pretty mediocre ever since until the end of last year. 

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I think part of why Gio looked so good as a rookie was because he was being compared to Green-Ellis. He's been ok since; Hue Jackson insisted on making him a bellcow the next year which failed miserably and opened the door for Hill, and he's been pretty mediocre ever since until the end of last year. 

No, he flashed major talent his rookie year. I don't know if injuries sapped him a little bit since then or maybe he's just a bit undersized and can't handle the abuse of high volume, but it wasn't an illusion. 

He should not be passed up at his ADP.   I’m going to draft him every chance I get that late. 

So is he a drop? RB is so thin on my waivers. I really thought he would get more passing down opportunities at least in week 1. Still, he's the only guy they really have behind Mixon, seems like one of the better RB backups to own in case Mixon misses games. Anybody still holding him at the end of their bench?

11 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

So is he a drop? RB is so thin on my waivers. I really thought he would get more passing down opportunities at least in week 1. Still, he's the only guy they really have behind Mixon, seems like one of the better RB backups to own in case Mixon misses games. Anybody still holding him at the end of their bench?

I mean if Mixon got hurt then he’s a top add but I can’t see him having value otherwise. I own him in one PPR league but I didn’t think the touches split between him and Mixon would be so drastic. I’d keep for maybe one more week but depending on what’s out there he could be a drop. 

• Like 1

Im not familiar with the roster or who is 3rd on the depth chart, but is it possible another RB steps into the Mixon role and keep Bernard in his current role (with maybe a few more touches now)? 

2 minutes ago, nromn said:

Im not familiar with the roster or who is 3rd on the depth chart, but is it possible another RB steps into the Mixon role and keep Bernard in his current role (with maybe a few more touches now)? 

Walton the rookie.  Keep an eye on him.  But he has similar receiving skills to Bernard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Heartbreak said:

Walton the rookie.  Keep an eye on him.  But he has similar receiving skills to Bernard. 

Will look into him. Thanks. 

Would you say he is more suited for a heavier workload than Gio?

This guy should be a pretty strong add, not sure when the last time was that a running back had knee surgery and returned 2 weeks later so I bet Bernard will be startable for a little while at least.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-reportedly-fear-joe-mixon-needs-arthroscopic-surgery-on-his-knee-seeking-second-opinion/

"Gio Bernard handled 34 of the 42 touches by Bengals' RBs and was RB16 in fantasy during the 2 games Mixon missed last season."

"Bernard was actually RB9 from Week 13 on, as even when Mixon returned, he was limited."

• Thanks 1

Feels like this thread should be blowing up right now.

Gio showed last year he’s a high RB2 when it’s just him and Mixon could be out for a decent amount of time

2 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Gio showed last year he’s a high RB2 when it’s just him and Mixon could be out for a decent amount of time

There's a lot of Walton truthers. 

mark walton football GIF by NFL

3 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Probably a lot of disgruntled Mixon owners. Seriously though, the offense seemed to struggle a bit with Bernard in as opposed to Mixon. Also, you can see the start difference in talent between the two. This might have a negative effect on the start of Green.

HOWEVER....With all of that being said, Bernard is a powerful option in PPR. Atlanta in week 4 and Miami in week 5 are good match-ups. He's only owned in 40% of CBS leagues so he is out there.

Go get him folks.

26 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

There's a lot of Walton truthers. 

Only the Mixon owners who didn't handcuff with Bernard...

2 hours ago, nromn said:

Will look into him. Thanks. 

Would you say he is more suited for a heavier workload than Gio?

I don't have enough info to even guess, but some say Watson was drafted to replace Gio's next year.  Might be a hot hand situation with Gio getting first looks.

• Thanks 1

I was a big fan of Walton coming out of Miami but I’m not sure why people think he has a shot at winning the job:

1. He’s the same size or smaller than Gio so no advantage there.

2. He hasn’t been on the active roster thus far

3. He’s looked poor in preseason

4. Assuming Mixon is out 2 - 4 weeks I don’t see why CIN would move away from the veteran who can easily step into the role.