NYR Fan 116894

Peyton Barber 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, Sternes said:

'I think it was easy to dismiss those that didn't believe in him with the results he had over the 1st 4 weeks.  There wasn't anything positive, they thought he sucked, and what more is there to investigate?  I'm glad I held and started him this past week, and I could be wrong going forward, but it did feel nice to be vindicated.  Especially on the part regarding Barber would lose his job.

Hey, with the rate of the other RB2s underperforming, another decent game... and you'd be comfortable starting him in almost all leagues... Esp if he starts getting those checkdowns in ppr format

• Like 1

I see the Browns are ranked #26 vs RBs in fantasy and #24 in run DVOA.  So on paper this is a good matchup.  But the Browns defense is genuinely feisty and the Tampa OL is weak, right?  I'm not very confident about this week.

5 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

I see the Browns are ranked #26 vs RBs in fantasy and #24 in run DVOA.  So on paper this is a good matchup.  But the Browns defense is genuinely feisty and the Tampa OL is weak, right?  I'm not very confident about this week.

Tampa OL is not good, and the play calling magnifies the issue.  I wouldn't say the are awful, but they aren't even average.  I'd say 22-24 range in NFL.

5 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

I think we want to see growth on the 4 dumpoffs, and the possibility of a high scoring game... a plunge/RZ run for a TD is a possibility because of Winston's woes in a few pass plays in the RZ; One of which lead to an INT.

at The start of the season, I thought JRodgers would be the man in TB after that amazing finish, but then Peyton showed his bosses that he is the deserving sheriff in town and won the battle. He is not going to give it up to JR or some punk named Jones.  Run Barber hard from here on out! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

at The start of the season, I thought JRodgers would be the man in TB after that amazing finish, but then Peyton showed his bosses that he is the deserving sheriff in town and won the battle. He is not going to give it up to JR or some punk named Jones.  Run Barber hard from here on out! 

Rodgers didn't finish last season well. He finished two seasons ago well and was the reason he started over Barber for the games Martin was suspended last season.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, devaster said:

Rodgers didn't finish last season well. He finished two seasons ago well and was the reason he started over Barber for the games Martin was suspended last season.

Wow, how time flies when you get older. Two years ago......seems like yesterday JRodgers was running wild in Tampa. 

7 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Wow, how time flies when you get older. Two years ago......seems like yesterday JRodgers was running wild in Tampa. 

Yeah man. I remember being 10 like it was yesterday. Now I’m 11 and everything has changed. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Game Log vs Falcons

1st Quarter

1st & 10 at TB 25 (14:55 - 1st) P.Barber right guard to TB 26 for 1 yard (J.Richards).

2nd & 5 at TB 41 (13:22 - 1st) P.Barber right tackle pushed ob at ATL 31 for 28 yards (D.Kazee).

1st & 10 at ATL 17 (12:23 - 1st) (Shotgun) P.Barber right guard to ATL 15 for 2 yards (T.McClain; J.Richards).

1st & 10 at TB 19 (8:09 - 1st) P.Barber right end to TB 23 for 4 yards (D.Campbell; F.Oluokun).

2nd & 6 at TB 23 (7:27 - 1st) J.Winston pass short middle to P.Barber to TB 32 for 9 yards (F.Oluokun).

1st & 10 at ATL 49 (6:15 - 1st) P.Barber right tackle to TB 49 for -2 yards (M.Bennett).

2nd Quarter

2nd & 8 at TB 27 (11:43 - 2nd) P.Barber right end to TB 28 for 1 yard (F.Oluokun; J.Richards).

1st & 10 at TB 44 (6:52 - 2nd) P.Barber left guard to ATL 49 for 7 yards (D.Senat; D.Campbell).

1st & 15 at 50 (5:32 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Jones left end to ATL 47 for 3 yards (T.McClain).

2nd & 6 at ATL 48 (2:38 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Winston pass short left to R.Jones to ATL 38 for 10 yards (F.Oluokun).

1st & 10 at ATL 38 (2:05 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Winston pass short left to R.Jones to ATL 37 for 1 yard (F.Oluokun).

Halftime - 7 carries, 41 yards and 1 reception for 9 yards.  Jones received 3 touches.

3rd Quarter

1st & Goal at ATL 2 (11:34 - 3rd) L.Wester reported in as eligible. P.Barber left tackle to ATL 2 for no gain (K.Ishmael).

1st & 10 at TB 40 (6:42 - 3rd) P.Barber left guard to TB 47 for 7 yards (F.Oluokun).

1st & 10 at ATL 16 (4:46 - 3rd) P.Barber right tackle to ATL 16 for no gain (D.Campbell).

2nd & 10 at ATL 16 (4:02 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Winston pass short right to R.Jones pushed ob at ATL 11 for 5 yards (J.Richards).

1st & 10 at TB 15 (0:11 - 3rd) P.Barber left end to TB 39 for 24 yards (D.Campbell).

4th Quarter

1st & 10 at ATL 28 (13:38 - 4th) P.Barber right tackle to ATL 18 for 10 yards (F.Oluokun).

2nd & 1 at ATL 9 (12:16 - 4th) P.Barber left guard to ATL 9 for no gain (JA.Crawford; B.Poole).

1st & 10 at TB 44 (5:41 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Winston pass short left to P.Barber pushed ob at TB 47 for 3 yards (B.Carter).

1st & 10 at ATL 48 (5:05 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Winston pass short left to P.Barber to ATL 41 for 7 yards (B.Carter).

1st & Goal at ATL 5 (3:47 - 4th) Peyton Barber Pass From Jameis Winston for 5 Yrds C.Catanzaro extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Sanborn, Holder-B.Anger.

Final - 13 carries for 83 yards, and 4 receptions for 24 yards and a TD. 

Jones 1 carry for 3 yards, 3 catches for 13 yards.

Conclusions - The usual to start off with, pretty sad I got excited that they ran it on 2nd down a couple times.  Ten out of thirteen of Barber's carries came on 1st down, 77% of his total.  Barber + 1st down = run.  It was nice to see Winston check down to him as he has been open many times in previous games.  It also seems as though Jones has leapfrogged Rodgers, as I didn't see him until the last drive (which was odd timing).  Barber was the lead back and Jones spelled him on occasion, but the more the game went the more it was clear that Barber had the job.

He has a couple decent matchups, and then some tough ones.  Schedule is Cleveland, Cincy, Carolina, Washington, NYG, SF, Carolina, NO, Baltimore, Dallas, ATL.

Overall, I'm happier with the usage and still horrified by the playcalling.  I don't know how you can keep a defense honest when the last time you ran it with him on 3rd down was the first game of the season.  In his last 3 games 23 of his 28 carries have been on 1st down!  1st down likely run or play action, 2nd down VERY likely pass, 3rd down almost guaranteed pass if Barber is on the field for these plays.  I also don't know if the guy has had back to back carries since run the clock mode vs the Eagles, because it doesn't look that way.  Again, these are disturbing tendencies that I've noticed based off one guy in their lineup.

Hopefully they learn to mix it up, because the guy has looked respectable running the ball despite the box scores.  I'm happy to see him get a good game.

Wow.....this is amazing!  Thank you very much for this. You should be a football coach somewhere.....preferably Tampa so they can see the error of their ways.,

9 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

How are we feeling about this guy as a flex play this week?

I think he’s gonna ball out

I actually like him a lot this week. Winston at QB changes that entire offense. I'm no coach but ya know what they say, you gotta throw to set up the run.

For the first time since Week 1, Barber managed to gain traction on the ground. He ran for 82 yards on 13 attempts. Barber also added a receiving touchdown to his impressive showing against the Atlanta Falcons.

Even head coach Dirk Koetter praised Barber’s performance.

“Peyton did a nice job yesterday. I mean, he broke tackles, he was explosive, he looked quick, Koetter said in a transcript provided by the team. “When he got opportunities in the passing game, he did a good job.”

As a team, Tampa Bay eclipsed 100 rushing yards for only the second time this season, totaling 123 yards. It was the team’s most efficient performance as well. The Bucs averaged an impressive 6.2 yards per attempt.

The catalyst behind the strong showing on the ground was Barber, who displayed terrific vision and power.

Early in the first quarter, Barber shook off a Falcons defender for a 28-yard gain, his longest run of the season. In the final period, Barber would show off his elusiveness by dodging multiple defenders and getting the Buccaneers into scoring position.

The pair of long runs have been few and far between for Tampa Bay this season, but Barber showed that he is capable of making big plays.

Barber’s ability to catch four passes out of the backfield made the offense less predictable.

When Barber has been on the field, defenses have geared up for the run. If Barber can become a threat as a receiver, it keeps the defense on their heels, and that is precisely what happened against the Falcons.

Statistically, some signs show Barber will have more success the rest of the season if the offensive line can replicate Sunday’s performance.

Barber doesn’t go down quickly. According to Pro Football Focus, Barber averages 3.02 yards after contact on each attempt. Although he has been met with contact behind the line of scrimmage often in 2018, he fights hard for every yard.

Barber has avoided 14 tackles after the rush this season, that ranks in the top ten among running backs. If he can get a little more consistency up front, he will be able to put up more consistent numbers.

Barber gained momentum against Atlanta. He proved he could be an every-down back and it should be enough to propel him towards a more successful second half.

Look for Barber to have another strong performance next week as the Cleveland Browns have allowed 138.2 yards per contest.

Edited by jtbgator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Starting without a doubt. Think he finds his way into the end zone via the rush this week.

I’m doing the same. Flex for me. Sheer volume. Seems like a fairly safe floor, with a good chance at a TD. I’m good with 80 yards ish and a score. 

• Like 1

So I'm in a bit confused with how to address Barber's use moving forward. I feel like Barber has been all over the place with how he has played but he showed a lot last week and I have feeling he'll continue the trend against the Browns. At the same time, the play calling of the Buccaneers scares the crap out of me personally so I could see his usage be like what it was the prior to last week. 

Edited by gopackgo555

2 minutes ago, gopackgo555 said:

So I'm in a bit of a pickle this week. Do I start Jordan Howard, James White or Peyton Barber? In general I would say Howard has the lowest floor but highest ceiling, White has the highest floor but lowest ceiling, and Barber is all over the place. However, Barber showed a lot last week and I have a good feeling against the Browns with him.  
The play calling of the Buccaneers scares the crap out of me personally so I could see his usage be like what it was the prior to last week. 

I have to start him this week and I’m not that mad about it.  Should be good for 80 yards a couple catches and a very good shot at a TD.

• Like 1

I'm just hopeful he can reclaim the production he had the last 5-6 games of last season. Was good for 10-11 half PPR points per game. Noticed he had one game with 160 total yards.

He was sitting on my 10-team free agents this morning. Had to add him to see what happens.

Do you guys think the Winston over Fitz factors into Barber's success that much?

I think he's a sit if you can afford it with bye weeks, since everyone has ran on the Falcons, but if he has another good game then he's a viable option again and I am buying into the offense with Jameis being better for the run game.

5 minutes ago, kball09 said:

I think he's a sit if you can afford it with bye weeks, since everyone has ran on the Falcons, but if he has another good game then he's a viable option again and I am buying into the offense with Jameis being better for the run game.

That's my approach to this I think. If he can do this one more week then he's in weekly rb2 contention for my team. 

Anyone see the RW "Waire wire" article this week? No surprise seeing Barber on it. And also no surprise to see the RW staff walk back so quickly and dismiss it like it was nothing.

" 4. Peyton Barber, Bucs – Rostered in 33 percent of Yahoo leagues
There was some hope Ronald Jones would take over the starting job coming out of the bye week, but that did not happen. In fact, Peyton Barber played 62 percent of the snaps on his way to his best game of the season – 82 yards on 13 carries and 24 yards and a touchdown on four catches. The matchup certainly helped, but at worst Barber looks like he will get a starter’s workload moving forward.
Recommendation: Should be rostered in 12-team leagues"

Should be rostered in every league except maybe the family and friend "The League" 8-team leagues. I like how it was "hope" that Ronald Jones would take the starting job and not rampant speculation and hype. Nice job of dismissing the disservice they did to anyone who actually trusts their articles and rankings.

I am surprised to see him at #4. I'd rank him above Ito Smith and Latavius. Marlon Mack and him about equal. But Latavius is entirely dependent on Cook's injury and has had spotty usage outside of 1 game in relief. Ito Smith is a total wildcard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Anyone see the RW "Waire wire" article this week? No surprise seeing Barber on it. And also no surprise to see the RW staff walk back so quickly and dismiss it like it was nothing.

" 4. Peyton Barber, Bucs – Rostered in 33 percent of Yahoo leagues
There was some hope Ronald Jones would take over the starting job coming out of the bye week, but that did not happen. In fact, Peyton Barber played 62 percent of the snaps on his way to his best game of the season – 82 yards on 13 carries and 24 yards and a touchdown on four catches. The matchup certainly helped, but at worst Barber looks like he will get a starter’s workload moving forward.
Recommendation: Should be rostered in 12-team leagues"

Should be rostered in every league except maybe the family and friend "The League" 8-team leagues. I like how it was "hope" that Ronald Jones would take the starting job and not rampant speculation and hype. Nice job of dismissing the disservice they did to anyone who actually trusts their articles and rankings.

I am surprised to see him at #4. I'd rank him above Ito Smith and Latavius. Marlon Mack and him about equal. But Latavius is entirely dependent on Cook's injury and has had spotty usage outside of 1 game in relief. Ito Smith is a total wildcard.

Agree. Makes no sense. Ito is splitting 50/50 at best on a bad defensive team with no track record,  and Lat is a middling talent that is only serviceable if Cook is down. 

Yet you rank them ahead of the guy that already had the job locked up. Even Mack is all hype, guy has accomplished absolutely nothing in the NFL to this point.