flippy

Jimmy Butler 2018-2019 Season Outlook

3 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

I just think he's just tired of KAT and Wiggins not putting in the effort, especially on defense. This was stirring last year. Add a raging lunatic ( Thibodeau ) who has an extreme disregard for using a NBA bench, that was enough to get out of there.

Yeah...

I'm seeing Celtics fans saying no. If they didn't want Kawhi, why Butler...

If he is into defense he sure picked some weird destinations....Nets are allergic to defense. Clippers? Maybe in the hope of playing with Kawhi in a season. I actually think the Knicks have a defensive future with Robinson, Porzingis, and Frankie Smokes. But it sure seems weird. If I am the Knicks I would much rather chill and wait for Kyrie. And the Knicks have to deal something to get Butler. 

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Wow ok then - not what I was expecting.  Maybe he knows something about next year's free agency and who would then join him - *cough Kyrie cough*

2 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Trading away a very promising young player in Ntilikina who already shown he can be a lockdown defender would be so Knicks.

This is true.  Knicks mortgaging their future to get a big name does sound very Knicks.

• Like 1

Those are all...interesting choices. He would definitely be the top dog at any of those teams though, because he would by and far end up being the best player. Maybe that's what he wanted all along, to be the #1 guy without any competition. No KAT dogging him as the franchise cornerstone. 

Fantasy-wise, he could fully be a top 10 guy at any of those places, especially if he goes to NY and Porzingis sits this year out.

5 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

If he is into defense he sure picked some weird destinations....Nets are allergic to defense. Clippers? Maybe in the hope of playing with Kawhi in a season. I actually think the Knicks have a defensive future with Robinson, Porzingis, and Frankie Smokes. But it sure seems weird. If I am the Knicks I would much rather chill and wait for Kyrie. And the Knicks have to deal something to get Butler. 

It seems he's looking towards next year which is sort of weird for a guy who will be 30 next season..... All of those teams not only have space for him on a max but probably another max with a little cleanup  effort..... next season.

2 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Lol I hope they're just blowing smoke. Irving is on the verge of being a cripple. 

If he is traded to any three of those teams I would be happy (in terms of fantasy value and a buckets owner, i am a wolves fan so this hurts either way). He would definitely be top guy on the three teams he has listed. But, does he have a no-trade clause in his contract or can they trade him to whichever team they want?

14 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I don't know, the Bulls are looking really quality with Lauri, LaVine, and Dunn and they were in the position of the Wolves 1 year ago. 

Youre ignoring a huge difference.. Jimmy still had two years left on his contract at that time

1 minute ago, RafiBomb said:

If he is traded to any three of those teams I would be happy (in terms of fantasy value and a buckets owner, i am a wolves fan so this hurts either way). He would definitely be top guy on the three teams he has listed. But, does he have a no-trade clause in his contract or can they trade him to whichever team they want?

you like this for wiggins?

1 minute ago, andyz said:

you like this for wiggins?

Jimmy and Wiggins never played well together. Wiggins benefits if Jimmy leaves as well. Of course, depending on who they have coming back but I can't really see anyone having a negative on Wiggins' fantasy value like Jimmy. 

How does Jimmy fit into the timeline of any of his destinations? Nets/Knicks are pretty far from competitive and clips have mostly guards and potentially Kawhi is interested in going there although I hope he stays in TO

2 minutes ago, chaiway said:

How does Jimmy fit into the timeline of any of his destinations? Nets/Knicks are pretty far from competitive and clips have mostly guards and potentially Kawhi is interested in going there although I hope he stays in TO

East is a joke..... If another max star went to the Knicks, then they would be in the top 3-4 of the conference by next season.  Let's take Kyrie for example (not saying it will happen).

Kyrie, Butler, Porzingis, and Knox as your core with Mitchell Robinson as a developmental piece..... Again, the Knicks have some work to do.  Noah is probably bought out.  They'd need to move the Hardaway deal which could be tough.  Courtney Lee and Lance Thomas could easily be flipped at this year's deadline.  There's work to do for the Knicks but they can probably afford another star besides Butler.  

Nets are more a blank slate with more space easily available but less internal assets.  Probably a little harder to compete next year..... they could have a vision for bringing in a Big 3 though.

Basically he just wants to guarantee himself some max money for the rest of his prime and beginning of his decline. Nothing wrong with that, he can ring chase after his new big deal expires. Either that or he wants to team up with someone specific next year. Not many other reasons why he’d choose the teams he did. 

3 minutes ago, chaiway said:

I am going to guess the team that pulls the trigger will give the reason of "culture" because they aren't smart enough or they don't care about anything but the present to realize they just locked up a player's decline on a max deal. 

All the talk of Butler being a leader, hard working and blah blah blah is out the window for me. He threw everyone under the bus in Chicago with Wade. He punks out of Minnesota. This move is all about being selfish. He is only looking out for himself and wanting to get dealt to a place where he can get max years and money. I think Jimmy's next contract will be the NBA's version of Albert Pujols. Just a dude coasting through his twilight cashing checks. 

17 minutes ago, chaiway said:

Kawhi wont be a Clipper as I’ve been told 6 times on this board.

How much of a chance does he know, Kyrie is going to the Knicks to try and start a Irving, Butler, Porzingus core?

I'd be surprised if he goes to any of those 3 places.

None of those franchises are looking to compete this year. There's no reason for them to give up assets for a 1 year rental.

You have to consider the teams that would benefit and can make an actual push this year. Here's my most likely scenarios:

1. Toronto - if the Kawhi trade proves anything, it's that Toronto's going all in on this year. Bringing in Butler to fill up that recently vacated starting SG spot makes sense. With Butler on the squad, Toronto becomes favorites to win the east (something they have never done, and do care about).

2. Cleveland - Butler and Love can get you a playoff spot in the east. Worth it when you've just had the kind of season/offseason you just did and are terrified of going back to irrelevance in a post-Lebron era.

3. New Orleans - They're clearly looking to compete for a playoff spot in the stacked West, and would want someone to couple with AD after the loss of Cousins. With them also losing Rondo, they've lost a lot of star power this offseason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

None of those franchises are looking to compete this year. There's no reason for them to give up assets for a 1 year rental.

You have to consider the teams that would benefit and can make an actual push this year. Here's my most likely scenarios:

1. Toronto - if the Kawhi trade proves anything, it's that Toronto's going all in on this year. Bringing in Butler to fill up that recently vacated starting SG spot makes sense. With Butler on the squad, Toronto becomes favorites to win the east (something they have never done, and do care about).

2. Cleveland - Butler and Love can get you a playoff spot in the east. Worth it when you've just had the kind of season/offseason you just did and are terrified of going back to irrelevance in a post-Lebron era.

3. New Orleans - They're clearly looking to compete for a playoff spot in the stacked West, and would want someone to couple with AD after the loss of Cousins. With them also losing Rondo, they've lost a lot of star power this offseason.

Why would you be surprised if he would go to any of those places if he is the one that mentioned those three places because he is trying to get paid. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

NO WAY HE GOES TO CLE

If he thinks KAT's soft and uninterested... what do you think he thinks about ******** K.Love... softest basketball player on the Planet.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

8 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Why would you be surprised if he would go to any of those places if he is the one that mentioned those three places because he is trying to get paid. 

Well, Woj said it.  It could also be a negotiation tactic to extract more from unmentioned teams

6 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

Thibs is very stubborn so I could definitely see him trading Butler elsewhere.  Not sure what those clubs could give up though?  Lowry for Butler?  Hell, Raptors would love that.... What could Cleveland give?  Cans?  Maybe Miami.  Maybe Philly.  The same players who were in the mix for Kawhi are probably the teams that may be in the mix for Butler.....

I think Phoenix wanted in on the Kawhi deal but don't think they have a lot of assets..... especially after taking on Anderson.  It's hard to know because Thibs is sort of unconventional and may not weight pure talent as much as grit and toughness.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Cause the people who decide where he goes are the Wolves, and they're going to get better deals from other places.

Just like how Kawhi preferred the Clippers, but was traded to Toronto.

17 minutes ago, Stefan said:

NO WAY HE GOES TO CLE

If he thinks KAT's soft and uninterested... what do you think he thinks about ******** K.Love... softest basketball player on the Planet.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why are you assuming that Butler has a say here? Minny is going to trade him to the team that offers the most.

Pretty sure Kawhi didn't want to go to Toronto.

• Like 1