flippy

Jimmy Butler 2018-2019 Season Outlook

It sounds as if he has a predetermined rest schedule which has not (nor should be) released publicly.  We just need to have faith that they have a plan and that he won’t miss too many games.  He’s played 9 games this far at top 5 value per game.  Other players drafted for more money have played fewer games at worse value.  I understand it’s frustrating but realistically he’s exceeding his ADP.  I recently traded for him and I’m happy so far.  

• Like 1

I just don't understand why anyone would take the team's side in this debacle. Butler asked for a trade long enough before the first game that the front office had time to get a pretty mint offer from the Heat, which they quickly declined. Given the major screw-ups by the front office in recent years, plus the certainty that once the season started teams wouldn't offer as much, it's inconceivable anyone would think the team is in the right.

To drive my point home from a few pages back about Butler's actual value, even with his pouting sit-outs he is #12 in Yahoo 9-cat roto, and he's like mid-first round in per game average, netting out to about #8-10 overall if you add a replacement value bench player for his sit-outs. That's a profit from where anyone drafted him after his trade demand.

Forest for the trees, people. I'd actually think about buying him right now if I didn't already own him.

• Thanks 1

Also, regarding "honoring his contract" this is a two-way thing. If no NBA team made a reasonable offer, I wonder if Butler would be taking a different approach. The team has done very little to honor his request, and with no penalty for him acting like a spoiled child, why should the player not explore all the leverage he had?

If you made $20MM or something like that, and had been injured the prior year, and were in a walk year, and your team had no mechanism by which they could penalize you for not risking injury... you would be a straight up fool not to explore all your leverage. This is how capitalism works.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rando said:

I just don't understand why anyone would take the team's side in this debacle. Butler asked for a trade long enough before the first game that the front office had time to get a pretty mint offer from the Heat, which they quickly declined. Given the major screw-ups by the front office in recent years, plus the certainty that once the season started teams wouldn't offer as much, it's inconceivable anyone would think the team is in the right.

To drive my point home from a few pages back about Butler's actual value, even with his pouting sit-outs he is #12 in Yahoo 9-cat roto, and he's like mid-first round in per game average, netting out to about #8-10 overall if you add a replacement value bench player for his sit-outs. That's a profit from where anyone drafted him after his trade demand.

Forest for the trees, people. I'd actually think about buying him right now if I didn't already own him.

I don’t see how anyone can take the team’s side but I also don’t see how anyone can take his side.  It’s a battle of f--- wits.  It should never come to this.  There are no winners. 

The extra 3.6 minutes is what separates the General Soreness from being a Private Soreness. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Goku said:

The extra 3.6 minutes is what separates the General Soreness from being a Private Soreness. 

I think I'd prefer to avoid any "Private Soreness", thank you very much :unsure:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

It sounds as if he has a predetermined rest schedule which has not (nor should be) released publicly.  We just need to have faith that they have a plan and that he won’t miss too many games.  He’s played 9 games this far at top 5 value per game.  Other players drafted for more money have played fewer games at worse value.  I understand it’s frustrating but realistically he’s exceeding his ADP.  I recently traded for him and I’m happy so far.  

What was the deal?

1 minute ago, StifleTower2 said:

Bledsoe, Gallo, LouWill for Butler, Adams, and Thad Young. 

Highway robbery :o

1 minute ago, ovofnd said:

Highway robbery :o

He proposed it to me.  I had Gallo, LouWill, and Bledsoe on my block asking for FG and rebounds.  He offered exactly what I was asking for.  I guess he was frustrated with Butler. How could I refuse?  ?

4 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

It's one thing when a guy misses games because he's hurt (and Butler will miss games with injuries this year like he always does).  It's really frustrating when he misses games on top of those "just because".

Rotoworld blurb from today essentially verifies Minnesota’s front office are among the dumbest chuckleheads in all of sports:

league sources say Minnesota will continue to mix in occasional games of ‘scheduled rest’ for Butler as part of a jointly agreed plan coming into the season.”

so they not only refuse to trade him and devalue any future offers for

him, but they also devalue his worth to them while he is still on their roster? Do they think they can beat the NBA with one arm tied behind their back?

Edited by rando

i really don't get it..

he's supposedly sore yet he plays this many minutes.

They really want to destroy this boy's trade value

2 hours ago, mackdonald said:

i really don't get it..

Jimmy is a veteran all Star player. His value is defined. The Minnesota situation is common knowledge. It is a matter of a team paying the asking price at a given time and Minnesota having the ability to execute a trade. Every team in the NBA can improve by adding a happy and free Jimmy Butler. 

2 hours ago, mackdonald said:

i really don't get it..

Thibs. Need I say more ?