flippy

Jimmy Butler 2018-2019 Season Outlook

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thibs is very stubborn so I could definitely see him trading Butler elsewhere.  Not sure what those clubs could give up though?  Lowry for Butler?  Hell, Raptors would love that.... What could Cleveland give?  Cans?  Maybe Miami.  Maybe Philly.  The same players who were in the mix for Kawhi are probably the teams that may be in the mix for Butler.....

I think Phoenix wanted in on the Kawhi deal but don't think they have a lot of assets..... especially after taking on Anderson.  It's hard to know because Thibs is sort of unconventional and may not weight pure talent as much as grit and toughness.

I could definitely see Philly make a move cause they're in a position to win now too.

6 minutes ago, Apollo_87 said:

Why are you assuming that Butler has a say here? Minny is going to trade him to the team that offers the most.

Pretty sure Kawhi didn't want to go to Toronto.

True dat, true dat

I was about to edit my comment.. but didn't :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, fantasychemby said:

If he goes to the Clippers, how does this affect either Harris or Sweet Lou's output?

Sweet Lou's value remains the same, he is creating his own game and he doesnt need much playing time.

Lou is just unique.

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

If he is into defense he sure picked some weird destinations....Nets are allergic to defense. Clippers? Maybe in the hope of playing with Kawhi in a season. I actually think the Knicks have a defensive future with Robinson, Porzingis, and Frankie Smokes. But it sure seems weird. If I am the Knicks I would much rather chill and wait for Kyrie. And the Knicks have to deal something to get Butler. 

Clippers got pat beverly, avery bradley and Luc - why would it be a weird destination for defense? they're pretty damn stacked defensively.

5 minutes ago, Stefan said:

True dat, true dat

I was about to edit my comment.. but didn't :rolleyes:

he has a say because he can agree to a long term deal and the wolves will be able to get more back than in a trade where after this year he is a free agent

1 minute ago, Jesus Shuttlesworth said:

he has a say because he can agree to a long term deal and the wolves will be able to get more back than in a trade where after this year he is a free agent

Oh yeah, forgot about that... we'll see.

Right the Wolves can trade him to wherever, but it’s going to be a crappy offer if the team knows they can’t sign him to his mega deal that he wants which is roughly 190mil which only like 4 teams in the NBA will have roughly next year to sign him to. So in a way, a team doing that trade will trade away assets for a 1 year rental. 

1 minute ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Right the Wolves can trade him to wherever, but it’s going to be a crappy offer if the team knows they can’t sign him to his mega deal that he wants which is roughly 190mil which only like 4 teams in the NBA will have roughly next year to sign him to. So in a way, a team doing that trade will trade away assets for a 1 year rental. 

Are you sure that there are only 4 teams that can offer "super-max" ?

6 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Are you sure that there are only 4 teams that can offer "super-max" ?

It may be more than 4 teams. But if he is wanting to still be competitive, I don’t think Phoenix, Atlanta or Sacramento would be options on his list haha.

• Like 1

OK here is what is happening y'all! 

Blockbuster three team trade between raptors, magic and wolves:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y6uqn4zx

Raps also give protected 2021 1st to wolves. Magic deal mozgovs horrible deal, clear part of their log jam at centre and pf, and get a young wing to build around along with Jv who will be perfect to foil for bringing along bamba (very different players) and they move vuce before they lose him and finally a starting pg in teague. Wolves get a pick plus Gordon who they believe will work with kat and veteran leadership in lowry who's tenacity thibs will love. Prefect guy for KAT too. Raps get butler, vuce (absolutely prefect centre for that team) a little point guard depth, fvv becomes the starter and they look like this :

Pg - fvv, wright, DJ, brown

Sg - butler, Green, norm

Sf - Kawhi, OG, Miles

Pf - ibaka, siakam

C - vuce, Monroe, mozgov

They are the best in the East and LEGIT contenders. Get it done Masai... If anyone can... 

• Haha 2

To be clear those three teams won't see JB as a rental since he said he would be open to a contract extension with any one of them. 

3 hours ago, arucied said:

Clippers got pat beverly, avery bradley and Luc - why would it be a weird destination for defense? they're pretty damn stacked defensively.

The Clippers (and the other teams) are more about the future. Pat Bev isn't the future. Avery is out if they get Jimmy and Kawhi. Luc will probably hurt his shoulder the third time he touches the rim this season and he rides the bench if they get Jimmy. 

Boy, it would be great if the Lakers were in the mix to get Butler. You have to think LeBron wants to win now. The challenge I see is that to do it, Lakers would have to part with all of these:

• Ingram
  • Ball
  • Wagner
  • Zubac

Or switch Wagner for Kuzma. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He obviously thinks (hopes more like it) Kawhi is going to land with the Clippers....

Obviously, forcing a trade guts the roster you are about to join to some extent. Then you max out and superfy the roster and fill in with ring chasers. The really smart play is pulling a Lebron and joining a roster with a lot of drafted and developing rookie scale contracts. My guess is the majority of stars see this year or next as GSW's last hurrah with their core going to break up as Draymond and Klay don't sacrifice enough dollars on their next contracts to keep everyone intact. Or the core sacrifices because their investments in Silicon Valley startups work out and they just crush the league until they decide to stop. 

Personally, I want to see Jimmy out in LAC and see Kawhi pull a PG13 and resign with the Raptors. Then have the Clips ship him out to Orlando or Atlanta where he can follow the path of Melo and watch his bloated contract become the hot potato amongst GMs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Obviously, forcing a trade guts the roster you are about to join to some extent. Then you max out and superfy the roster and fill in with ring chasers. The really smart play is pulling a Lebron and joining a roster with a lot of drafted and developing rookie scale contracts. My guess is the majority of stars see this year or next as GSW's last hurrah with their core going to break up as Draymond and Klay don't sacrifice enough dollars on their next contracts to keep everyone intact. Or the core sacrifices because their investments in Silicon Valley startups work out and they just crush the league until they decide to stop. 

Personally, I want to see Jimmy out in LAC and see Kawhi pull a PG13 and resign with the Raptors. Then have the Clips ship him out to Orlando or Atlanta where he can follow the path of Melo and watch his bloated contract become the hot potato amongst GMs.

Most of the Clippers roster is on expiring deals so the Clippers are built as a free agent destination, not a team trying to build with draft picks.  Not much to gut.  They have a lot of pieces that can be moved easily and only Gallo on a bad deal.  Could trade someone like Harris and Wesley Johnson or Patrick Beverly and easily make the money work.  Butler is on a pretty cheap deal.  Frankly, the Clippers probably want to be in the lottery this year so their pick doesn't convey and they can get another cheap asset....

Clippers plan was always to try and lure UFA's to them and Ballmer will pay.  It would be very Clipper like to pay Butler until 35, but have to figure if it helps net Kawhi, they'd gladly pay.  I still think Toronto is being underestimated in their chances at keeping Kawhi.   What would be interesting is if Kawhi stays in Toronto, Butler moves to LAC.  Klay and KD aren't going anywhere so what the hell would the Lakers do?  Dame?

There is a rumor out there, and I stress rumor, so folks should take with a large grain of salt that KAT and Butler don't like each other because there's some friction over KAT's ex-girlfriend.  Again, big time rumor but could be a reason Minnesota didn't work....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Klay and KD aren't going anywhere so what the hell would the Lakers do?

Salary caps exist in the NBA. I think the general consensus is that Klay will be gone this year. The alternative is them choosing him over Draymond (stupid, if you ask me), the latter having 2 years left on his deal. But Kawhi isn't staying in Toronto anyway. You can spare everyone the Paul George to OKC talk, that was a longshot last year and it's a longer shot with Kawhi.

8 minutes ago, jujuonthebeat said:

Salary caps exist in the NBA. I think the general consensus is that Klay will be gone this year. The alternative is them choosing him over Draymond (stupid, if you ask me), the latter having 2 years left on his deal. But Kawhi isn't staying in Toronto anyway. You can spare everyone the Paul George to OKC talk, that was a longshot last year and it's a longer shot with Kawhi.

Possible, but not likely.  I think the general consensus is Klay will be staying (from his own mouth and his family's) and they'll work out the money.  If they win the championship again this year, none of those guys are leaving the historic opportunity of going for a fourpeat, something that hasn't been done in 50 years.  Anything can happen and teams implode over the course of a season (or quicker) often, but all things being equal..... Warriors will have their big 4 and be going for a 4 peat next summer (sans Cousins).  I could see KD doing something if they lose, but going to LA probably isn't in the cards.

And Toronto's a very cool city and Kawhi's not a high profile guy.  It's already been rumored he would prefer the Clippers over the Lakers recently if he did come back to SoCal, but Toronto's actually a great place for him to have an easier path to Conference finals while working to repair his reputation and brand.  Canada would automatically love him if he stayed and it may be the best way for him to brand himself... I think the Clippers are probably the odds on faves, but Toronto definitely has a chance.

20 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's already been rumored he would prefer the Clippers over the Lakers

Yeah, that doesn't even make sense. Whole post sounds like a lot of general anti-Laker sentiment tbh. Who's the 2nd best player on the Clippers, Lou Williams? There's no universe in which they're the odds on favorites to land Kawhi.

https://www.playnow.com/sports/basketball/nba-specials/Kawhi-Leonard-Team-in-2019-20-Season-1590685.html

Raptors a little too low probably, but seems way more realistic.

40 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

There is a rumor out there, and I stress rumor, so folks should take with a large grain of salt that KAT and Butler don't like each other because there's some friction over KAT's ex-girlfriend.  Again, big time rumor but could be a reason Minnesota didn't work....

Yep! Supposedly Jimmy banged Kats ex. Can’t blame him though who wouldn’t?

https://www.instagram.com/kawa_xo

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Minnesota would have to take back some serious salary..... Almost impossible.

but it would be cool.  Kawhi gone to make room for Butler