DLove

Larry Nance Jr. 2018 Outlook

So.... does this guy come off the bench behind TT?? 

i really like his potential for the defensive stats... and the fact that it doesn't usually take him many minutes to put a nice line together but i'd be much more inclined to target him in drafts if he was starting over TT. What do you guys think?? What do you expect from Nance this coming season? 

Cleveland have no reason to keep starting TT over nance, even if he does i think nance gets more minutes, he could be part of the young core where as TT is a cancerous contract on a non contending team

• Like 1

I had him in last season at deep league (H2H) and he was quite useful despite one three week injury period. But I am concerned that he got less playing time at Cleveland as I expected. This season I will took cautious approach of him and I ask PuzzBeterson: for what reason you are so optimistic? I predict 18-22 minutes, not more.

Edited by apatas

I’m going to try and snag him in all leagues. I have a feeling he was start come towards ASB maybe even earlier. Nance can stretch the floor unlike TT and Nance is a better small ball 5 than Love.

• Like 1

I really like him. Reminds me of Thad Young in terms of fantasy profile.  Both of them are underrated.  I think he has upside as well particularly if he is given minutes.  Really impressed me with the “eye test” last season, I thought he was their best big at times.  I don’t know whether to call him a sleeper, a breakout candidate, or something more reliable.  As stated above I think he’s a lock for 10/8 with 1.5 spg, which would be good for top 75 value, and I think he has potential for more.  

All depends if Cavs can dump TT and/or Love by the ASB.  Regardless he's fairly productive anyways, so not a bad gamble.  Or Love could get hurt who knows.  

I also like him but will not touch him before 11th-12th round of standard leagues if he is not playing more than last season (average 21,5 minutes). His 58% FG doesn't help too much because he takes only 6 shots per game. Minutes are the key and for me minutes will be the key always. Last season everybody said: Marjanovic is the beast! How many minutes he played!?

Edited by apatas
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, apatas said:

I also like him but will not touch him before 11th-12th round of standard leagues if he is not playing more than last season (average 21,5 minutes). His 58% FG doesn't help too much because he takes only 6 shots per game. Minutes are the key and for me minutes will be the key always. Last season everybody said: Marjanovic is the beast! How many minutes he played!?

This is true however, last season for those two players you mentioned was limited due to All Star players in front of them, taking away touches/minutes. For Boban he was stuck behind Drummond and then got stuck behind DeAndre Jordan so that’s more of a “what can you do” situation.

For Larry Nance, of course Lebron dominated the ball and then if you want to go back to his Laker days, he was stuck behind Randle and him being a rookie. There is literally IMO nobody else more athletic on the Cavs besides of course Kevin Love. I don’t expect JR Smith, George Hill or Korver to be solid 2nd/3rd top team scorers.

Also i’ll add it would hurt the Cavs more to limit Nance than it would if they just unleashed him. When he was on the Lakers we saw the potential he had, and people were fighting for him to start.

• Like 1

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251427/Cavaliers-Agree-To-Four-Year-$45M-Extension-With-Larry-Nance-Jr

Cavs just signed him to 4 years/$45M. That's a pretty solid amount of money so I'm guessing they definitely are gonna give him a good amount of burn. He only played 21 mpg last year and put up 9/7/1 with 1.3 stls and 0.6 blk. Given 30 minutes this guy could be a game changer. Something like 13/10 with 1.5 stls and 1 blk is very possible. 

Edited by fabrar
  • Like 1

If he can get into the 29-30 minute range, then he should push for mid-round value (5th/6th). Good boards, high stocks, high FG%, low TOs. Not a cornerstone or league winner, but a rock-solid guy to round out a team, especially for a last round / $1 player. I would go pick him up if you are punting assists or 3s just to see how the rotation works out.

The Cavs are playing for nothing this season beyond development. I wouldn't be shocked if Love gets moved. If that happens Nance's value skyrockets. As is the new contract is telling about how they value him.

16 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

The Cavs are playing for nothing this season beyond development. I wouldn't be shocked if Love gets moved. If that happens Nance's value skyrockets. As is the new contract is telling about how they value him.

Why would they move love? He just signed. 

1 hour ago, drgr20 said:

If he can get into the 29-30 minute range, then he should push for mid-round value (5th/6th). Good boards, high stocks, high FG%, low TOs. Not a cornerstone or league winner, but a rock-solid guy to round out a team, especially for a last round / $1 player. I would go pick him up if you are punting assists or 3s just to see how the rotation works out.

Why would you worry about assists when having nance? That’s like saying I’m punting blocks so Conley is a good choice. 

9 minutes ago, molski said:

Why would they move love? He just signed. 

Because they're going no where and loyalty is a myth.

Been intrigued with him for last couple of years. Seems inconsistent and to get a lot of injuries that he can't play through though. Frustrating as he looks like he has skills and athleticism to be a quality big man. Maybe this is the year.

Wonder if/when ESPN will add C to his eligibility. It always takes quite a while for some players to get positions added.

I have my reservations on him:
- has missed at least 16 games in every season he's played
- Lue said "he got worn down" by the big bruisers ( Embiid, Dwight ) last season

Now I haven't watched a whole lot of him, so correct me if I'm wrong. I know he's athletic and such, but can he contribute to more categories? Threes, assists, blocks, FT all seem weak, but that doesn't mean he can't improve in those areas. Not asking for an uptick in everything, but just wondering what the chances are for him to work in a few more assists or knock down his FT a bit more this year.

2 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

To get Nance owners hyped up for the upcoming season...

Had to watch it again, and when I did, I noticed the Steven Segal impression on Barton on that OREB

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, molski said:

Why would you worry about assists when having nance? That’s like saying I’m punting blocks so Conley is a good choice. 

If you are punting blocks and Conley is available in your league (95% owned on ESPN), then yes you should go pick Conley up. If you are punting assists or 3s and Nance is available in your league (21% owned on ESPN), then you should go pick Nance up - you should also go pick Conley up if he is available. Now, this is a crazy idea I know, but I think one of the keys to fantasy basketball is picking up guys who have a chance to outperform their draft position and are readily available. Sleepers if you will (did I coin that term?). Happy to explain that further if needed Nostradamus. 

6 hours ago, drgr20 said:

If you are punting blocks and Conley is available in your league (95% owned on ESPN), then yes you should go pick Conley up. If you are punting assists or 3s and Nance is available in your league (21% owned on ESPN), then you should go pick Nance up - you should also go pick Conley up if he is available. Now, this is a crazy idea I know, but I think one of the keys to fantasy basketball is picking up guys who have a chance to outperform their draft position and are readily available. Sleepers if you will (did I coin that term?). Happy to explain that further if needed Nostradamus. 

Funny because Nance is 80% owned in Yahoo leagues.