JDL88

Anthony Davis Season Outlook 2018-2019

28 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Actually he’s contractually obligated to play for the Lakers.  I haven’t read their contract but I bet there’s remedies for breach on the players part, eg refusing to play.  Merely because they work under a contract doesn’t mean they’re contractors.  Employees can work under contracts too.  I worked under three year contracts my entire career, I didn’t have the legal status of a contractor, I was an employee.  I actually don’t know how the NBA is run so mea culpa but I bet if I could take a look at their contracts they would have the legal right of an employee.

Well, employee or independent contractor... I think at the end of the day it just come down to who has power and leverage.

Every day Joe Blow like you and I don't have power and leverage, so whether you are an employee or independent contractor, in reality you are just a slave to that contract/agreement. We don't have the financial resources to break/renegotiate a contract when we find it unfavorable or unfair. Our labor isn't unique enough to be universally demanded. We can't get paid more than our supervisors (coaches). In most work places we are told not to ask how much our co-workers are making. 

And contracts are meant to be broken, when you can afford it and can profit from it. If you are good enough to be headhunted and your new employer is willing to pay the cost to break your current employment contract AND triple your salary, you will leave your current job right now too. 

Let's just face it, stars have the power. There are 30 owners who will beg to pay the superstars $30-40M a year, but there are only 5-8 superstars owners need to get in order to win.

Edited by bballshinobi

3 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Well, employee or independent contract... I think at the end of the day it just come down to who has power and leverage.

Every day Joe Blow like you and I don't have power and leverage, so whether you are an employee or independent contract, in reality you are just a slave. We don't have the financial resources to break/renegotiate a contract when we find it unfavorable or unfair. Our labor isn't unique enough to be universally demanded. We can't get paid more than our supervisors (coaches). In most work places we are told not to ask how much our co-workers are making. 

And contracts are meant to be broken, when you can afford it and can profit from it. If you are good enough to be headhunted and your new employer is willing to pay the cost to break your current employment contract AND triple your salary, you will leave your current job right now too. 

Contracts aren’t meant to be broken otherwise they wouldn’t have been formed.  Also, the remedies for beach could theoretically be so punitive that even if you tripled your salary it wouldn’t be worth it.  

Folks, this is the Anthony Davis thread, not the NBA Players Association Thread.  I have no issue with members discussing their theories on employment law or hypothetical issues regarding break of contracts, but at this time, it doesn't need to be here. Take it to the proper thread.  Let's get back to discussing Anthony Davis and his basketball fortunes.  Thanks so much.  We'll open this back up in a few minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So he's out until Saturday.... any chance he would actually play on Saturday or will just sit out until after the All-Star games?

Edited by MrBean

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Folks, this is the Anthony Davis thread, not the NBA Players Association Thread.  I have no issue with members discussing their theories on employment law or hypothetical issues regarding break of contracts, but at this time, it doesn't need to be here. Take it to the proper thread.  Let's get back to discussing Anthony Davis and his basketball fortunes.  Thanks so much.  We'll open this back up in a few minutes.

Can you kindly direct me to the employment law forum?  Thank you.  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

I suppose it’s conveniant to ignore that a healthy Lakers team was a top 5 seed in the west before injuries hit. You also ignore the real possibility Lakers form a big 3 and have Lebron, Davis, and another all star. 

Injuries are part of the game. And being top 5 seed in November is nice.  However,  being top 5 seed in March is even nicer.

Lakers might get big 3, but Davis will not be part of that trio until after 2019/2020 season at the earliest.

On the side note, I am wondering what Lakers folks think about decision not to jump into Kawhi sweepstakes last season.  Very little progress, if any, from youngsters

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Can you kindly direct me to the employment law forum?  Thank you.  

You can have that discussion in a general NBA Thread or more aptly, create a thread around the NBAPA.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Laker fan here what do you think about a Ball, Kuzma Zubac for AD? I feel like that could possibly get it done. That would deplete our depth but that could get it done.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Laker fan here what do you think about a Ball, Kuzma Zubac for AD? I feel like that could possibly get it done. That would deplete our depth but that could get it done.

I feel like the Pelicans GM would be the laughing stock of the NBA if he accepted that deal...... Dell Demps is already pretty laughed at though.  

1 hour ago, Hatfieldodger said:

thats already less than what the pels said the lakers would need to start with (ball, kuzma, zubac, 1st round pick)

fk I laugh when I see Lakers fans blowing up "OMG NO WAY WOULD WE INCLUDE KUZMA. NO DEAL "

imagine NOT including  Kyle fkn Kuzma in a package to help land AD :lol:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quazza said:

fk I laugh when I see Lakers fans blowing up "OMG NO WAY WOULD WE INCLUDE KUZMA. NO DEAL "

Honestly, I’d rather give up Kuzma than Ball or Ingram. He’s 23 and his ceiling is much lower than those two despite him being an already proven commodity. I’m sure Ingram and Ball will be better at 23 than Kuzma. 

I have AD in one of my leagues, where I'm a bit nervous that he won't suit up again this season. Thank god it's just a $25 league. However it's a damn shame since I been 1st, on top all season with 88-45-2 in H2H

Pelicans can literally send him home and trade him in July. I sure as hell believe they ain't falling to the Lakers demands and look like idiots. They'll be smart to wait until the summer to see what teams has the draft picks in order to make the best trade.

Then again, I think if they do send him home and shut him down, the Pelicans would get a bad rep around the league and players would be reluctant to play there to see how they treat their players.

Also interesting to see I was offered AD, Kevin Love and Dennis Schroder in one of my Yahoo Pro leagues for my Paul George and and Millsap.

what to do what to do........ugh this waiting game is painful.

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Honestly, I’d rather give up Kuzma than Ball or Ingram. He’s 23 and his ceiling is much lower than those two despite him being an already proven commodity. I’m sure Ingram and Ball will be better at 23 than Kuzma. 

Anthony Davis is better than all 3 of them will ever be.  No contest, not even close.  Barring new players in the league, AD is the best big in this generation of players and he's not even in his prime.  As always, the talent of every current player on the Lakers is over-hyped.  Anyone not named Lebron should be for sale to ingest the team with superstars.  I'm not even sure Kuzma/Ball/Ingram will even touch an all-star game.  For reference, when AD was 21 he was putting up 24.4/10/3 with 2.9 blocks a game.  Kuzma is the only one close to anything that valuable (offensively) and he does it way less efficiently and is 23.     

5 hours ago, Quazza said:

Fans often fall in love with what they see every game..... AD is a superstar without huge playoff headlines. Thats the reason some fans in LA think he's not that good.

After 2 Weeks with AD in LA the same fans would say he's way better than Lebron, Kobe and Jordan...

21 minutes ago, Fantasyhero said:

Fans often fall in love with what they see every game..... AD is a superstar without huge playoff headlines. Thats the reason some fans in LA think he's not that good.

After 2 Weeks with AD in LA the same fans would say he's way better than Lebron, Kobe and Jordan...

I don't think anyone in the universe thinks he's not good.  I highly doubt there's one single Laker fan that doesn't think he's good.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I'm increasingly bearish right now.

AD's not getting traded before the deadline.

That means the next time he rolls an ankle, or gets a charley horse....gone for the year.

Smart guy here. If i owned AD right now in a redraft i would do nothing but try to trade him over the next couple weeks. If anything happens he will be shutdown with trade talks there.

I think I saw this on ESPN, but Ball/Kuzma/Ingram/Zubac/Lance and picks for AD. Keep KCP's expiring and they can sign someone else in the off season. Sounds like a legit plan. Try to sign Kemba/Klay/Kyrie lol. 

So fellas, and AD owners out there.......what's the chances he plays this Saturday? 

9 hours ago, Quazza said:

Is it almost as bad as Boston fans saying they don't want to include Tatum into a deal for AD?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, squidthunder said:

So fellas, and AD owners out there.......what's the chances he plays this Saturday? 

Low.  I'm betting they hold him out until past the trade deadline/ASB and use that extra time to allow him to recover.

2 hours ago, HispasianTuna said:

I think I saw this on ESPN, but Ball/Kuzma/Ingram/Zubac/Lance and picks for AD. Keep KCP's expiring and they can sign someone else in the off season. Sounds like a legit plan. Try to sign Kemba/Klay/Kyrie lol. 

Those jabronis can't win without Lebron, and were an 8 seed with him, what would be the result of them being the "cornerstones" of the Pelicans?  This is a rhetorical question.

I find it hilarious every year when a fistful of losers and future late 1sts are traded for a superstar and its painted as anything other than a complete disaster.

It's kind of interesting.

If AD states he wants a trade and won't sign anywhere but LA that depresses the market. For any non-LA team: why offer a kings ransom for a rental?

That may push LA's offer lower. Could Silver step in to ensure New Orleans receives appropriate compensation a la the CP3 deal?

Hypothetically this would be the second time the league would have to step in to assist New Orleans in selling off its franchise player. What a franchise!

1 minute ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

It's kind of interesting.

If AD states he wants a trade and won't sign anywhere but LA that depresses the market. For any non-LA team: why offer a kings ransom for a rental?

That may push LA's offer lower. Could Silver step in to ensure New Orleans receives appropriate compensation a la the CP3 deal?

Hypothetically this would be the second time the league would have to step in to assist New Orleans in selling off its franchise player. What a franchise!

eh, difference is, didnt the nba own the pelicans or soemthing weird for the cp3 trade? and with Silver being more of a players commissioner, i dont see him doing much...

and the thinking for teams outside of LA is that OKC was aable to get it done with PG....so, if a different team adds AD and they make finals or something, that could convince him to stay