JDL88

Anthony Davis Season Outlook 2018-2019

Just now, StifleTower2 said:

Technically, they can make him sit out, they will simply be fined 100K for doing so.  I imagine they will force him to sit out if/when they determine the cost of playing him is more punitive than 100K.  Ofc he could simply rest during the ASB and return to action.  No one really knows. Maybe not even the Pels know.

I know they can make him sit out a Pelicans game, but wasn't sure about the All Star Game. Thought maybe since it's an individual achievement he might have more autonomy, but probably not.

I think if he plays he's fighting being shut down and he really makes it messy if he balls out of control (or seals his fate if he's obviously not right), I think if he sits it out because his shoulder isn't right then he's resigned to let them mothball him. The third option is if they say no you can't play and he says he wanted to play which continues the awkwardness lol

I shouldn't care so much about this... I had the ship in the bag though if this hadn't happened. Woe is me...

1 minute ago, RCRanger03 said:

I know they can make him sit out a Pelicans game, but wasn't sure about the All Star Game. Thought maybe since it's an individual achievement he might have more autonomy, but probably not.

I think if he plays he's fighting being shut down and he really makes it messy if he balls out of control (or seals his fate if he's obviously not right), I think if he sits it out because his shoulder isn't right then he's resigned to let them mothball him. The third option is if they say no you can't play and he says he wanted to play which continues the awkwardness lol

I shouldn't care so much about this... I had the ship in the bag though if this hadn't happened. Woe is me...

Oh sorry,  idk if they can make him sit out an All-Star game.  It might be contract specific, eg. "Player" may only play in exhibition games with expressed written consent of "Front Office" and medical clearance  by "Team Doctor".

4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Davis wants to play.  He's said that all along.  I'm pretty sure he's a big reason why he's been playing at all.  If anybody would want him to sit out, it'd be the team.

NO does not want him to play.  The rest of the teams don't want him to play for various reasons (either they will make an offer for him and want him to stay healthy or they want to win against NO)

Davis "wants" to play after his trade request basically said "I don't want to play for NO". So Davis wanting to play is PR stunt imo.

League wants him to play.

It is a total mess.  Day time soap opera writers will have hard time writing this.

• Like 1

Just now, Gile Pile said:

It is a total mess.  Day time soap opera writers will have hard time writing this.

No argument there.

If Adam Silver wasn't soft as bird-$hit he'd get this situation, and the league in general, under control.  Davis has a year and a half left on his contract!  How can a guy with $50M left on his guaranteed contract be shut down, or come up with a faux injury to "preserve himself" or "preserve his value to the team"?

With that logic, why is Luka Doncic even playing?  They should preserve him and tank to pair him and Portzingis up with another top draft pick.  

The NBA is a complete friggin mess.  Davis and Kyrie will both play in the all-star game, be smiling and styling it up the entire time, then immediately be hurt again next week if its convenient for them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Latest blurb says he will play in the All-Star game if he feels better by then, which it seemed to imply he was leaning that way.  If he does, it will be awfully difficult to shut him down after that.

Latest blurb says he will play in the All-Star game if he feels better by then, which it seemed to imply he was leaning that way.  If he does, it will be awfully difficult to shut him down after that.

Why would it be difficult though? He just needs to "aggravate" that shoulder again or get a bruise. Wasn't hard for Kawhi to do it on the spurs, or for butler to do it for a while in Minny.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

If Adam Silver wasn't soft as bird-$hit he'd get this situation, and the league in general, under control.  Davis has a year and a half left on his contract!  How can a guy with $50M left on his guaranteed contract be shut down, or come up with a faux injury to "preserve himself" or "preserve his value to the team"?

With that logic, why is Luka Doncic even playing?  They should preserve him and tank to pair him and Portzingis up with another top draft pick.  

The NBA is a complete friggin mess.  Davis and Kyrie will both play in the all-star game, be smiling and styling it up the entire time, then immediately be hurt again next week if its convenient for them.

Stern was a horrible commissioner but Silver has his issues in his own right. He’s basically the complete opposite of Stern which isn’t a very good thing. A good cop isn’t very effective without a bad cop.

Just now, Gohawks said:

Stern was a horrible commissioner but Silver has his issues in his own right. He’s basically the complete opposite of Stern which isn’t a very good thing. A good cop isn’t very effective without a bad cop.

Stern was a good commissioner imo, his only big mistake was the Chris Paul veto to the Lakers. I agreed with majority of his other decisions. Silver is getting run train on by the players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richg24 said:

Why would it be difficult though? He just needs to "aggravate" that shoulder again or get a bruise. Wasn't hard for Kawhi to do it on the spurs, or for butler to do it for a while in Minny.  

I understand the argument, but these sorts of things are objective.  If there's no sign of injury then there's no sign of injury.  The difference with Kawhi is he was returning from a catastrophic injury and the league didn't threaten to fine the Spurs.  Here, the league already threatened to fine the Pels if they sat him while healthy, so they're already suspicious.  You don't think the league has the ability to investigate injuries?

I understand the argument, but these sorts of things are objective.  If there's no sign of injury then there's no sign of injury.  The difference with Kawhi is he was returning from a catastrophic injury and the league didn't threaten to fine the Spurs.  Here, the league already threatened to fine the Pels if they sat him while healthy, so they're already suspicious.  You don't think the league has the ability to investigate injuries?

I don't think the Pels give a s--- about 100k fines, even 20 of them is 2 mil which overall to a team is a complete joke. I also don't think the league would try to investigate an injury to a player who is a true superstar, similar to the level of a Lebron or Curry. And even if they do investigate, their would be legitimate doctors saying that he has these injuries. It's not hard to fake things like bruises, muscle spasms, shoulder tendinitis etc. If the team and AD want to do that, it's easy enough to do it.

I personally think AD is being shutdown. All the signs are on the wall. I could be wrong but we will see.

Just now, richg24 said:

I don't think the Pels give a s--- about 100k fines, even 20 of them is 2 mil which overall to a team is a complete joke. I also don't think the league would try to investigate an injury to a player who is a true superstar, similar to the level of a Lebron or Curry. And even if they do investigate, their would be legitimate doctors saying that he has these injuries. It's not hard to fake things like bruises, muscle spasms, shoulder tendinitis etc. If the team and AD want to do that, it's easy enough to do it.

I personally think AD is being shutdown. All the signs are on the wall. I could be wrong but we will see.

You might be right.  I just don't think it's certain and am playing devil's advocate.

4 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Stern was a good commissioner imo, his only big mistake was the Chris Paul veto to the Lakers. I agreed with majority of his other decisions. Silver is getting run train on by the players.

That wasn’t a mistake. He was the owner of the Pels at the time. So he denied the trade just like the Pels denied the AD to the Lakers trade 

1 minute ago, StifleTower2 said:

If they did have the ability, why wouldn't they investigate Kawhi last year when he was saying he was hurt and the team doctors were saying he wasn't?  I assume the reason is that if a guy says "I'm hurt" there is really nothing scientific or concrete that could prove he is lying.

One thing I think would fix this real quick is an equal opportunity lotter for all teams that fail to make the playoffs.  Finish 9th in the West or last in the East, you have the same number of ping pong balls for the entire Draft Lottery.  Don't see any reason why a team would tank and not try and develop/win in that scenario.

2 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Micromanagement is bad everywhere.  If league gets involved in dealing with injuries, who  is playing or not playing, what is the next step? Preparing game plans for the coaches and substitution patterns?

Silver and the NBA should have stayed away from AD and NO relationship. It sets bad precedent

• Like 1

Just now, babyfaceassasin said:

That wasn’t a mistake. He was the owner of the Pels at the time. So he denied the trade just like the Pels denied the AD to the Lakers trade 

I don't mean mistake in that it was unintentional or an accident, I mean in terms of a business decision for the league, that was the beginning of the end for his commissioner role. Other decisions he made were mostly best for the league, and not the players which is how it should be in my view. Players have no fear now and feel they run the show if they have a powerful agent. 

2 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

If they did have the ability, why wouldn't they investigate Kawhi last year when he was saying he was hurt and the team doctors were saying he wasn't?  I assume the reason is that if a guy says "I'm hurt" there is really nothing scientific or concrete that could prove he is lying.

One thing I think would fix this real quick is an equal opportunity lotter for all teams that fail to make the playoffs.  Finish 9th in the West or last in the East, you have the same number of ping pong balls for the entire Draft Lottery.  Don't see any reason why a team would tank and not try and develop/win in that scenario.

Because Kawhi suffered a catastrophic injury which required a lot of recovery time and whether he was ready was subjective.  Here, AD has no signs of injury, and the league is already itching to fine the Pels if he sits.  Completely different situation. 

Granted as @richg24 pointed out, they likely don't care about a 200K fine.  But they might care about how the league perceives them and won't want to draw the ire of the league.  Maybe.

3 hours ago, richg24 said:

ASG for entertainment no one wants to see a boring defensive center. Anyway luka is way more of an all star than gobert will ever be. 

As for AD i feel for the owners. I predicted in last post that he would pick up another injury soon that will likely shut him down for the season and i am fairly certain that is what this injury will do. They can't fine the pelicans if its an injury...remember kawhis injury for like an entire season was essentially a bruise lol. This is the same type of thing happening here. NBA is a bit of a joke right now these star players make demands and then don't play for their own team. 

Ahh. Duncan always made it. LMA this year and Horford last year. Maybe media/coaches or whoever have other reasons for their voting? Utah has a reasonable standing for them to have 1 all star. Middleton looks boring too, but it seems they had to give Mil 2 all stars cause of their record right

4 minutes ago, iowncrazyhair said:

Ahh. Duncan always made it. LMA this year and Horford last year. Maybe media/coaches or whoever have other reasons for their voting? Utah has a reasonable standing for them to have 1 all star. Middleton looks boring too, but it seems they had to give Mil 2 all stars cause of their record right

Ya I mean he is deserving for his contributions to his team for sure. But be honest, we like to watch the ASG for fancy plays, crazy dunks and alley oops. Doncic would be exciting as a star rookie, that is something everyone would want to see over Gobert blocking highlight reel dunks lol. 

Obviously, Demps was fired because he didn't trade AD and the situation is now toxic. 50/50 AD plays another game after the All-Star break. They can now use this shoulder injury as an excuse to shut him down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Ya I mean he is deserving for his contributions to his team for sure. But be honest, we like to watch the ASG for fancy plays, crazy dunks and alley oops. Doncic would be exciting as a star rookie, that is something everyone would want to see over Gobert blocking highlight reel dunks lol. 

Not everyone.

1 minute ago, richg24 said:

Agree on Luka, he is a combination of both excitement and talent, and the league blew it by omitting him.  If he wasn't a foreign player, there is no doubt in my mind he's on the team.

I think people watch because its an exhibition of the best players in the world, or at least it was at one point, before it turned into the hoop Grammy's.  Kevin Durant is about as exciting as a bowl of oatmeal, unless you are entertained by the idea an anorexic Frankenstein shooting jumpers.  But he's there because he's one of the best in the world, not anything he does exciting.

• Confused 1