JDL88

Anthony Davis Season Outlook 2018-2019

12 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Wow, first off, AD wanting to play is highly debatable.  And you're about 30 pages late for that debate.

Second, Luka was a completely arbitrary example of a team that has no chance of making the playoffs with a superstar, that would stand to benefit by a complete tank job and holding out their stars.  Thought that was obvious.  And I was mocking the Pelicans in the example.  NBA would be a good time if 15 teams folded up shop 40 games into the season …. no obligation to your Networks paying billions, or your season ticket holders, right?

Don't think you are understanding the point here, AD wants to be traded meaning he doesn't want to play for the Pelicans anymore hence why the Pelicans don't want to play him, nothing about a "tanking" here.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, richg24 said:

100% too steep. Show me someone that trades a top 25 player for AD right now i show you a maniac

I would trade a top 25 player for AD if the player I was giving up had injury risk and/or a poor PO schedule as well, e.g. Kyrie, or Capela, or Covington.  At that point, you're basically free-rolling.  They all have similar injury risk but AD has more upside if he plays.  

Edited by StifleTower2

Just random musings...

(1) The CBA is slowly killing the NBA.  It has shifted control from employer to employee.  I get "sharing of the wealth."  But, it is ridiculous when a player can stop performing under a signed individual contract and not experience consequences.  

(2) The NBA (with television networks) and the Pelicans (with ticket holders) have legally binding contracts to provide a product.  If a person pays X for season tickets or X for a single game ticket only to have a "healthy" star player sit out, either by choice or based on a team decision, there should be consequences since the team is not meeting its contractual obligation.  These "rest" or "maintenance" DNPs by players are a violation of those contracts. It is one thing to have a guy coming back off an injury sitting back-to-backs compared to an old guy like LBJ who just needs to rest.

(3) The NBA has tried to address (2) above by imposing fines for sitting "healthy" players during nationally televised games.  However, this falls short.  The consequence should be, the team is fined for every game the player sits, then once some number of games is accumulated (say 5), then they fall to the end of the 1st round or maybe even lose their 1st draft pick.  If they don't hold their draft pick, then there would need to be significant compensatory damages payable to the affected team.  Of course, the CBA leaves little discourse the league can take toward the individual player if he decides he wants to sit.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I would trade a top 25 player for AD if the player I was giving up had injury risk and/or a poor PO schedule as well, e.g. Kyrie, or Capela, or Covington.  At that point, you're basically free-rolling.  They all have similar injury risk but AD has more upside if he plays.  

Covington, yes. Who even knows how he will come back or when exactly, no timetable. That is a fair trade off of risk. Same with Capela. Kyrie no I wouldn't do that. Kyrie will play and should play all games unless he picks up more injuries. You can't say the same for AD, because even with no injuries very decent chance he misses many games or is shutdown all together. Why trade Kyrie a stable top 25 guy with top 15 upside for AD who may not play again? I don't get that logic at all. Also AD has a 3-3-3 playoff schedule. He can easily miss 2 games any or all of these weeks. 

13 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Covington, yes. Who even knows how he will come back or when exactly, no timetable. That is a fair trade off of risk. Same with Capela. Kyrie no I wouldn't do that. Kyrie will play and should play all games unless he picks up more injuries. You can't say the same for AD, because even with no injuries very decent chance he misses many games or is shutdown all together. Why trade Kyrie a stable top 25 guy with top 15 upside for AD who may not play again? I don't get that logic at all. Also AD has a 3-3-3 playoff schedule. He can easily miss 2 games any or all of these weeks. 

Ok, I don’t disagree.  So that just means we disagree on AD’s price.  But there are some people on here who claim they wouldn’t trade for AD.  Period.  That stance can’t possibly be logical. Surely there is someone on your roster you could part with to obtain him.  

The Pelicans only have 4 national televised games left. Two of those are their 3rd and 4th games after the break. At that point i doubt the Pels would even care about getting fined for the next two nationally televised ones.  In fact I doubt the league would even bother.  Also I'm pretty sure the fine is up to 100,000. So it could be less.

3 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Ok, I don’t disagree.  So that just means we disagree on AD’s price.  But there are some people on here who claim they wouldn’t trade for AD.  Period.  That stance can’t possibly be logical. Surely there is someone on your roster you could part with to obtain him.  

I wouldn't trade for him but that has more to do with my roster than actually wanting to trade for him.  Only thing I could offer the owner would be Smart or Knox or both.  I think that would be pretty insulting so I'll just stay pat.  I suppose it depends who you play with as well. People I play with/against don't care for insulting offers and keeping good trade relations is pretty important.

• Like 1

Just now, Bugs bunny said:

I wouldn't trade for him but that has more to do with my roster than actually wanting to trade for him.  Only thing I could offer the owner would be Smart or Knox or both.  I think that would be pretty insulting so I'll just stay pat.  I suppose it depends who you play with as well. People I play with/against don't care for insulting offers and keeping good trade relations is pretty important.

And there are people on here who would accept Smart and Knox if offered. That just shows you the level of panic on these forums. What you call an insulting offer is what some people are hoping for. 

21 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

And there are people on here who would accept Smart and Knox if offered. That just shows you the level of panic on these forums. What you call an insulting offer is what some people are hoping for. 

While I'm sure it's true, that there are people who would probably do a deal like that the level of panic I sometimes see on these forums never translate to the leagues I play in or the people I play with.  I wish, but I have never witnessed it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

My team is too stacked, the only ones I would consider are Nance or Bagley maybe. 

My team:

Russell, Bledsoe, Doncic

Richardson, Butler, LeVert

Gallinari, Bagley, Nance

Jokic, Ayton, Nurkic, Robinson

I'd think about Bagley but would end up not doing it b/c he has a 4-4-4 playoff schedule guaranteed unless injury vs. AD maybe 0-0-0 or more likely something like 1/2-1/2-1/2.

I don't think its worth taking on such risk is what I am getting it this late into the season. Even in my situation with a bye locked up 9 cats ahead of 2nd place, 14-3 on h2h season.

so, if im trying to get rid of AD.... who are reasonble targets in everyones opion?

Myles Turner? Tobias? Kyrie? or we gotta go much lower than that

1 minute ago, lacit1707 said:

so, if im trying to get rid of AD.... who are reasonble targets in everyones opion?

well someone on here trade tobias and trae. so tobias is a possibility.  myles maybe. you won't get kyrie. if i was the AD owner, I would accept any 5th rounder or below that has a promising ros.

4 minutes ago, lacit1707 said:

I wouldn't offer any of those for AD at this point, all those guys will be 100% relevant in fantasy playoffs. There's just too much uncertainty at this point with huge shut down risks. For my team specifically at the most I'd offer Whiteside or Nance Jr and if the owner rejects than I say GL. 

Edited by megaplayboy

11 minutes ago, richg24 said:

My team is too stacked, the only ones I would consider are Nance or Bagley maybe. 

My team:

Russell, Bledsoe, Doncic

Richardson, Butler, LeVert

Gallinari, Bagley, Nance

Jokic, Ayton, Nurkic, Robinson

I'd think about Bagley but would end up not doing it b/c he has a 4-4-4 playoff schedule guaranteed unless injury vs. AD maybe 0-0-0 or more likely something like 1/2-1/2-1/2.

I don't think its worth taking on such risk is what I am getting it this late into the season. Even in my situation with a bye locked up 9 cats ahead of 2nd place, 14-3 on h2h season.

I wouldn't trade for him if I was in 1st or 2nd.  A GM in 5th or 6th is in the most likely position to trade for him bc realistically your chances of winning are low if you're that far behind.

So with Demps out, one direction a front office could go is make peace with Davis and return order to the team so that him and Rich Paul aren't openly lobbying again against their interests in the offseason (plus they can just send the last week of baggage out the door with Demps)... like 1% of 1% of a chance, but maybe? Who worth hiring wants to come into drama fest like this. Make peace and get through the season and start fresh. 

Annnnnnd ya know win us back our fantasy leagues

• Thanks 1

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @wojespn
FollowingFollowing @wojespn
More

Adrian Wojnarowski Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski

Ferry has worked with the Pels in a part-time capacity as a consultant, but his most recent work as GM for the Atlanta Hawks was viewed league-wide as a clinic on how to reshape a roster and franchise without bottoming out into the lottery.

Adrian Wojnarowski added,

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @wojespn
New Orleans has now named Danny Ferry the interim GM, league sources tell ESPN.
1:00 PM - 15 Feb 2019
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

So with Demps out, one direction a front office could go is make peace with Davis and return order to the team so that him and Rich Paul aren't openly lobbying again against their interests in the offseason (plus they can just send the last week of baggage out the door with Demps)... like 1% of 1% of a chance, but maybe? Who worth hiring wants to come into drama fest like this. Make peace and get through the season and start fresh. 

Annnnnnd ya know win us back our fantasy leagues

I'd say more like 10%.  Unlikely, but not outside the realm of possibilities.  

Just now, StifleTower2 said:

I'd say more like 10%.  Unlikely, but not outside the realm of possibilities.  

Now that I see Ferry is in (my post happened simulateously with that woj tweet), I'd agree the chances are more likely. Danny Ferry is a very pragmatic guy. Unless the ownership is too burned and wanna take it out on AD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

He has only himself to blame.  Not that he *should* have but he easily could have simply clicked accept on the Lakers offer. It now appears that the voice of dissent was Demps.  Bu it gives rise to the question why not fire him before the deadline and install a interim GM to do your bidding in the meantime.  Unless, Demps is simply a scapecoat.

Thinking the Demps got a bit greedy after the first offer. He wanted to see how desperate the Lakers were. Now he may have lost his best offer. But I mean why rush, lets wait and see what others have to offer, I get that, but I'm not in his shoes. And truth be told, that first offer was A LOT, but four 1st round picks and all those young players, c'mon man.It's getting deep..

Edited by Forever Smooth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just random musings...

(1) The CBA is slowly killing the NBA.  It has shifted control from employer to employee.  I get "sharing of the wealth."  But, it is ridiculous when a player can stop performing under a signed individual contract and not experience consequences.  

(2) The NBA (with television networks) and the Pelicans (with ticket holders) have legally binding contracts to provide a product.  If a person pays X for season tickets or X for a single game ticket only to have a "healthy" star player sit out, either by choice or based on a team decision, there should be consequences since the team is not meeting its contractual obligation.  These "rest" or "maintenance" DNPs by players are a violation of those contracts. It is one thing to have a guy coming back off an injury sitting back-to-backs compared to an old guy like LBJ who just needs to rest.

(3) The NBA has tried to address (2) above by imposing fines for sitting "healthy" players during nationally televised games.  However, this falls short.  The consequence should be, the team is fined for every game the player sits, then once some number of games is accumulated (say 5), then they fall to the end of the 1st round or maybe even lose their 1st draft pick.  If they don't hold their draft pick, then there would need to be significant compensatory damages payable to the affected team.  Of course, the CBA leaves little discourse the league can take toward the individual player if he decides he wants to sit.

Coach Pop was good sitting his players. Main reason why I tried to avoid Spurs players in the past. He don't have that luxury to do that anymore though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

In my opinion, AD is hold in keeper/dynasty league and sell (for whatever you can get) in redraft league.  I might be risk averse, but I would rather have someone that would give me 15 pts, 5 reb, 3 ast, 1.5 3pm per game with solid %s during playoffs  rather than extremely high risk play of AD. 

In other words, if I am AD owner in redraft league I would try to sell for any offer similar to the numbers above (just my opinion). In other words, I would cut my cost, recover whatever pennies on the dollar I can get and let someone else deal with AD headache. I just don't see AD coming back to the numbers he had before trade request

So basically you’d trade AD for Jeremy Lamb.

I’m going down sinking with AD before I trade him for that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

In my opinion, AD is hold in keeper/dynasty league and sell (for whatever you can get) in redraft league.  I might be risk averse, but I would rather have someone that would give me 15 pts, 5 reb, 3 ast, 1.5 3pm per game with solid %s during playoffs  rather than extremely high risk play of AD. 

In other words, if I am AD owner in redraft league I would try to sell for any offer similar to the numbers above (just my opinion). In other words, I would cut my cost, recover whatever pennies on the dollar I can get and let someone else deal with AD headache. I just don't see AD coming back to the numbers he had before trade request

That would be irresponsible imo.  A player like that has little value over a ww player and has no chance of being impactful in your league.  You’d be much better off seeing what happens with AD and dropping him to stream or putting him on the IR if you need to during the playoffs.  If there were no such thing as a ww or IR then I might do that.  But there’s no sense in trading AD for a 100th ranked player when you can get a 101st ranked player for free. 

Edited by StifleTower2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

If you just want somebody who can give you 15, 5, 3, and 1.5 threes, then your best course of action is to hold AD until he's shut down, then proceed to the FA and pick up a hot free agent.

• Thanks 1

While I am not in denial about the inevitability of AD being shut down/reduced, I also think people are over-reacting to everything that happens around AD now. If he's to fake an injury, he won't do that during an actual game. It'll be easier for him to make it up when he's not in public. Regardless of what's coming, I still think it's better off to hold on to him unless you are getting a top 20 player in return. 

I think he wants to play. If you are a basketball player you will want to play, even if it's a bad team or dumpster fire atmosphere. Don't forget the fact that he's obviously concerned about his public image, so I don't think he'll pull a Leveon Bell and just sit. The team might shut him down but I don't think they will do it this early. That won't look good to the season ticket holders and won't make AD happy. The two sides will still want to remain cordial despite the trade request because they will need each other to make the best of the situation.

According to ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne, it was communicated to former general manager Dell Demps that Anthony Davis and agent Rich Paul left to get an MRI on his shoulder, but that message was not relayed to head coach Alvin Gentry.

Gentry would later find out about AD leaving for an MRI after a reporter's question. Shelburne adds that AD texted Gentry to explain that he left to get an MRI on his shoulder. The good news is that AD only has a contusion from his contact with Nerlens Noel, but this is a shoulder that required surgery a few years ago. This is going to be a big story during the break and AD's fantasy owners will not enjoy the ride.

• Like 1