burty1

Joey Bart - C - SF

Does anyone have anything on this guy?

MLB has him the #35 prospect overall and #2 catcher (Behind Mejia but in front of Ruiz)

He was the #2 overall pick in the draft this summer (out of Georgia Tech).

Good approach at the plate for solid average on good power. Sounds like he's developed well defensively and should stay at catcher.

Hitting .312 with 10 HR and 12 doubles in 141 AB at A- so far this year. Only negative I see right now is his 33/6  strikeout to walk ratio.

Highest signing bonus ever for a position player at $7,025,000.

Problem with Bart is he is way too aggressive and will often chase pitches outside of the strike-zone. Power is certainly for real but what kind of BA are we looking at once he reaches the show? Based on his current underlying stats, I do feel that he will struggle with his BA and hovering around .250.

That being said, he is still developing so who knows, maybe in 2019 and beyond he learns to be more patient and have better idea of the strike-zone, if so, his status will fly.

Has potential to be top 5-10 fantasy catcher, my guess is he will be on the fast track through the minors.  Likely start in AA this year and will be probably half time in AAA.  The challenge for Bart is the pathway to San Francisco is blocked by their franchise player who:

* Has indicated he wants to remain catching for a while

* Is their face of the franchise and signed through I think 2022

* If you had option to maybe move him to 1B, you have Brandon Belt there, who has 3 years left for about $51 Million.  In todays climate of not paying players are there a lot of teams out there that will pay Brandon Belt $51 million.  Now you could say the Giants would eat some which undoubtedly they would have to do, but is the combo of Bart at C and Posey at 1B worth paying $30 Million for Belt to go away because its that much better than Posey C and Belt at 1B?

I know he swings and misses a lot but he sure does have a pretty swing!

I’m the first guy to look at plate discipline as an indicator for future success, but I also really like Bart’s tools and the fact that he was a college bat. 

Just from what I’ve seen if his swing and tools, I think we could be short changing him to a degree. If he can adjust then he could really have some major upside.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/10/2019 at 12:03 PM, parrothead said:

Has potential to be top 5-10 fantasy catcher, my guess is he will be on the fast track through the minors.  Likely start in AA this year and will be probably half time in AAA.  The challenge for Bart is the pathway to San Francisco is blocked by their franchise player who:

* Has indicated he wants to remain catching for a while

* Is their face of the franchise and signed through I think 2022

* If you had option to maybe move him to 1B, you have Brandon Belt there, who has 3 years left for about $51 Million.  In todays climate of not paying players are there a lot of teams out there that will pay Brandon Belt $51 million.  Now you could say the Giants would eat some which undoubtedly they would have to do, but is the combo of Bart at C and Posey at 1B worth paying $30 Million for Belt to go away because its that much better than Posey C and Belt at 1B?

Belt can always play LF

Edited by FantasyFiend

3 hours ago, FantasyFiend said:

Belt can always play LF

Seems like if that was going to happen it might of already in a previous season as LF has been an issue and there have been 1B types available that might have helped them.  Although with new management and a new manager in 20 perhaps they will go that route. 

he is back now and hit a HR yesterday. Not sure how far or fast Frisco pushes him but that team needs help and this kid could be their answer soon.

9 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Will his upside be limited since he will be playing in at&t park?

I don't think it helps, but given the positional scarcity for production I'd ignore the park factor and treat him as a top prospect.

2 minutes ago, Dark One said:

I don't think it helps, but given the positional scarcity for production I'd ignore the park factor and treat him as a top prospect.

Does he have like .290 25ish he upside? Or does he have the room for more power?

1 hour ago, rasto21585 said:

Does he have like .290 25ish he upside? Or does he have the room for more power?

That's about the upside for now (though I could see a few seasons of around 30 at his peak), either way though, his numbers should play quite well at the position.

I think .290 is very optimistic- think more like .260 with 25-30 HR, which still plays at catcher.