Sign in to follow this  
ponza88

Jamaal Charles 2018 Outlook

1. I dunno, I know there's no competition, but the guy is a street FA....do people really think Fournette may be out long enough for Charles to work his way in? I get the feeling he's in for a week, 2 maybe.... I see him as a change of pace to Yeldon. Besides, if Bortles is throwing like last week, will it matter?...
Edited by nlm

15 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

No. I said not 'very good'. There is a difference.

What about these?

Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC

Those are from the 1st or 2nd best RB in the NFL (depending on who you ask).

Charles was the 1st or 2nd best RB in the NFL in his prime also...

Just to be clear, I don’t recommend picking Charles up.  He won’t get the volume to be worth starting.

But not “very good” is doing Charles and other RBs with those numbers a disservice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nlm said:
  1. I dunno, I know there's no competition, but the guy is a street FA....do people really think Fournette may be out long enough for Charles to work his way in? I get the feeling he's in for a week, 2 maybe.... I see him as a change of pace to Yeldon. Besides, if Bortles is throwing like last week, will it matter?...

Yes.  He might even be put in as “chance of pace” for 3 or 4 weeks...

Charles is still not worth a roster spot unless something happens with Yeldon.

23 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I meant would enough happen for him to help fantasy teams. It would take a Yeldon injury and does Charles have enough left to lead a backfield on his own? I really am asking because I don't know.

22 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

yeldon will break soon. add charles NOW before Charles is the starter and hard to get through waivers.  Fournette is going to miss alot more time than alot of people think.

• Like 1

Charles on a per touch basis was one of if not the best running backs in NFL history.

with that being said, his time is over and outside of a 24 team league you can completely ignore him.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, nlm said:

I meant would enough happen for him to help fantasy teams. It would take a Yeldon injury and does Charles have enough left to lead a backfield on his own? I really am asking because I don't know.

He looked pretty good last year for the Broncos (my team).  I expect he can for a very short about of time 1-2 games.

Someone adding Charles is making a lot of assumptions.  Only in a purfect storm does Charles return fantasy value.

He has to learn the offense to be effective in any capacity beyond change of pace.  How long does that take?  A couple weeks most likely.  Until then it’s probably just basic stuff.  In a couple weeks for all we know Fournette will be healthy.

So what do we have:

Week 6 - 7: Yeldon starts, Charles is change of pace

Week 8 - 9: Yeldon is injured, Charles is the Starter

Week 10+: Fournette is the starter, Charles is change of pace

That’s the “best case scenario”.  They also signed David Williams off the Broncos' practice squad...

I don’t get why anyone would add Charles.  They must be really really really desperate just to consider it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

That put him at 15th amongst RB

You have a loose definition of 'very good'. 4.3 is ok.

LOL

4.3 is great for a starting RB. You must be thinking about 3rd string change-of-pace backs who often get a bit more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I give up.

You should because you're wrong.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:58 PM, ponza88 said:

Jamaal Charles.

YPC 2017 w/ Broncos:

He's scheduled to make a visit with the Redskins. He looked like the best back in Denver when he got touches, but Denver was freaking TERRIBLE. The original idea from DEN was to save him for playoffs.

I think he still has a little juice left.

Number discrepancies:

He’s another articles...

2017:

Charles appeared in 14 games

69 carries for 296 yards (4.9 YPC) and a touchdown

23 catches for 129 yards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysAYearEarly said:

Charles on a per touch basis was one of if not the best running backs in NFL history.

with that being said, his time is over and outside of a 24 team league you can completely ignore him.

I'm doubting Fournette will really be out that much longer, but with Grant going on IR they had to make a move. Charles is really replacing Grant in the pecking order, and I suspect they'll utilize him primarily as a 3rd downs RB because of his ability to pass block. After the game, Marrone was asked why they didn't sub in Brandon Wilds more often, and he explained that Wilds made them nervous because he hasn't yet picked up pass blocking and at one point in the game that showed. 

If Fournette remains out he'll likely get some reps as Yeldon's backup (change-of-pace), but once Fournett s back I figure Charles will get a few reps every game primarily on third downs. Maybe he'll have that one game where he breaks one and puts up some nice points, but such games are sure to be few and far between short of additional injuries occurring. Yeldon is not known for getting injured and he's young so I wouldn't count on him going down even if he continues to start for a while.

4 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Number discrepancies:

He’s another articles...

2017:

...but 296 divided by 69 is 4.3.

22 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

...but 296 divided by 69 is 4.3.

I didn’t do the math.  I just reported it. (Reposted)

Edited by seanismorris

3 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I give up.

You should. The all-time leading rusher averaged 4.2 in his career and averaged more than 4.3 only three times in his entire career. 

Walter Peyton blew the 4.3 ypc out of the water...with his 4.4 career ypc, and he topped 4.3 seven times out of 13 seasons. 

The 4th ranked rushing leader, Frank Gore, has a career average of 4.3 and has topped 4.3 in a season only four times. 

Fifth on the list is Curtis Martin, and he only averaged 4.0 for his career. 

Sixth is LaDanian Tomlinson, but he's not very good either. He only averaged 4.3 ypc, topping that number in a season only four times. 

Seventh is Jerome Bettis and his 3.9 career ypc. 

Eighth is Eric Dickerson, and like Sweetness, he averaged 4.4 ypc in his career. Or does going from 4.3 to 4.4 equate to greatness...or very goodness? 

Tony Dorsett wasn't very good either...merely a career 4.3 ypc. 

Marshall Faulk? Not very good at 4.3. The Edge averaged 4.0 for his career, and Marcus Allen and Franco Harris put up 4.1. 

Out of the top 20 rushers of all time, only six averaged more than 4.3 ypc for their career, and two of those were just a tenth of a yard better.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Number discrepancies:

He’s another articles...

2017:

CBS

69 296 4.3 1 28 23 129 5.6 0 2 69.50

Yep. The articles math is bad. My bad.  

I have no idea what they were thinking... it’s not total yards/total touches.

I didn’t realize Charles had 2 fumbles.  That’s terrible...

Speaking as a Broncos fan who got burned by Charles last year, don’t do it. Resist the urge. He’s a shell of the player he used to be. He’s only going to get limited touches, and whenever he does get the ball, he fumbles it. Stay far away.

Not the same after injury but if he was oh man. Lot of people in here need to put some respect on his name 

The bad: 

A soon to be 32 year old running back that’s relied on speed, quickness and reflexes throughout his career. Those are the first things to go as you age. 

Hasn’t been relevant in over 3 years

4 knee operations in his career including a torn ACL in both knees. 

He’s not washed up. He’s been washed up. 

The good:

He averaged 4.3 ypc last year? ::eyeroll::

Nobody is gonna stop you from having him for free or very cheap. 

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

You should. The all-time leading rusher averaged 4.2 in his career and averaged more than 4.3 only three times in his entire career. 

Walter Peyton blew the 4.3 ypc out of the water...with his 4.4 career ypc, and he topped 4.3 seven times out of 13 seasons. 

The 4th ranked rushing leader, Frank Gore, has a career average of 4.3 and has topped 4.3 in a season only four times. 

Fifth on the list is Curtis Martin, and he only averaged 4.0 for his career. 

Sixth is LaDanian Tomlinson, but he's not very good either. He only averaged 4.3 ypc, topping that number in a season only four times. 

Seventh is Jerome Bettis and his 3.9 career ypc. 

Eighth is Eric Dickerson, and like Sweetness, he averaged 4.4 ypc in his career. Or does going from 4.3 to 4.4 equate to greatness...or very goodness? 

Tony Dorsett wasn't very good either...merely a career 4.3 ypc. 

Marshall Faulk? Not very good at 4.3. The Edge averaged 4.0 for his career, and Marcus Allen and Franco Harris put up 4.1. 

Out of the top 20 rushers of all time, only six averaged more than 4.3 ypc for their career, and two of those were just a tenth of a yard better.  

Again. Whole career. I'm done talking about this.

10 hours ago, Jags02 said:

LOL

4.3 is great for a starting RB. You must be thinking about 3rd string change-of-pace backs who often get a bit more.

Lol now it's 'great'. You guys are a riot.

Picked him up for free....after all waivers cleared at 7am it opened...i had a spot after dropping another lame duck so worth a flyer to me to see what happens here.

If he can help you, your season is over. Doesn’t even exist in terms of fantasy.

• Thanks 1