ST. STEVEN

Tre'Quan Smith 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Saints made him a 3rd Rd pick in the draft.

6'2" speed demon out of Central Florida

Beat guys indicate he does something special almost daily in practices, has a knack for getting open and making TDs (had 13 scores last season alone).

This guy offers a huge value right now. He is going to be on the field and I bet that he earns more and more looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember a comparable player to him in this offense. He isn't a Willie Sneed or Lance Moore player. Nor is he a Devery Henderson type. 

 

It was always Colston-Devery, Thomas-Cooks, Thomas-Ginn. Trend was big and small/fast. Now the Saints have two lanky WR's will adequate speed. Throw in a healthy Cam Meredith and it gets more confusing. 

 

He is a guy you could probably pick up off waivers after he gets a 7 target 4-5 catch game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2018 at 5:19 PM, Tenner said:

I can't remember a comparable player to him in this offense. He isn't a Willie Sneed or Lance Moore player. Nor is he a Devery Henderson type. 

 

It was always Colston-Devery, Thomas-Cooks, Thomas-Ginn. Trend was big and small/fast. Now the Saints have two lanky WR's will adequate speed. Throw in a healthy Cam Meredith and it gets more confusing. 

 

He is a guy you could probably pick up off waivers after he gets a 7 target 4-5 catch game. 

 

 

Joe Horn

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught all 4 targets yesterday and hauled in a TD.

It's tough because of all the weapons on this team, and because Drew always spreads it around, but we a clear talent here--both for some production this year and a bright looking future. Amazing how he is largely underrated for dynasty purposes. It won't be that way for real long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gut has this guy over taking the WR2 role on that offense. Ginn was startable last year and the coaching clearly doesn’t have an aversion for putting rookies in roles if they perform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From today: http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/30385/smith-up-meredith-down-saints-wr-depth-chart-written-in-chalk

 

Key stuff imo: "Rookie third-round draft pick Tre'Quan Smith, meanwhile, has been one of the most exciting players in camp -- routinely making splash plays in both practices and games. The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder from Central Florida has shown an enticing combination of size, speed, hands and big-play ability, and he leads the Saints in catches (11), yards (147) and touchdowns (1) this preseason."

 

"Smith has shown great results almost every day in practice. No one is making more big plays down the field, week after week. But at the same time, Payton and Smith have both been pretty blunt about how much he still needs to learn.

Payton said it might be a case where the Saints have to "keep giving him the reps at what we think he's going to be doing in the game and reduce some of the variables."

Payton stopped short of comparing Smith's rookie-year potential to Thomas' potential in 2016 (when he caught 92 passes for 1,137 yards and nine touchdowns). But Payton did say he's encouraged by how bright Smith is, along with his his strong hands, his running ability and his blocking ability.

 

Saints receivers coach Curtis Johnson also praised Smith's intelligence, saying, "For a young kid, he's picking this thing up pretty well."

And Smith has talked passionately about wanting to become both a great receiver and a great student. He compared it to being back in school and being so much more confident when you actually know the answers while taking a test."

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

From today: http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/30385/smith-up-meredith-down-saints-wr-depth-chart-written-in-chalk

 

Key stuff imo: "Rookie third-round draft pick Tre'Quan Smith, meanwhile, has been one of the most exciting players in camp -- routinely making splash plays in both practices and games. The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder from Central Florida has shown an enticing combination of size, speed, hands and big-play ability, and he leads the Saints in catches (11), yards (147) and touchdowns (1) this preseason."

 

"Smith has shown great results almost every day in practice. No one is making more big plays down the field, week after week. But at the same time, Payton and Smith have both been pretty blunt about how much he still needs to learn.

Payton said it might be a case where the Saints have to "keep giving him the reps at what we think he's going to be doing in the game and reduce some of the variables."

Payton stopped short of comparing Smith's rookie-year potential to Thomas' potential in 2016 (when he caught 92 passes for 1,137 yards and nine touchdowns). But Payton did say he's encouraged by how bright Smith is, along with his his strong hands, his running ability and his blocking ability.

 

Saints receivers coach Curtis Johnson also praised Smith's intelligence, saying, "For a young kid, he's picking this thing up pretty well."

And Smith has talked passionately about wanting to become both a great receiver and a great student. He compared it to being back in school and being so much more confident when you actually know the answers while taking a test."

Any context to that quote "keep giving him the reps at what we think he's going to be doing in the game"?

 

As in we think he needs preseason reps because he's gonna get live game reps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pushaZ said:

Any context to that quote "keep giving him the reps at what we think he's going to be doing in the game"?

 

As in we think he needs preseason reps because he's gonna get live game reps?

It is more about him focusing on one spot (the Z) then having him fully immerse himself in learning all the wide spots/verbiage...

I think it spells out a clear role to start the year and as he catches on (no pun) he will have the chance to play all over the formation, etc- 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

From today: http://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/30385/smith-up-meredith-down-saints-wr-depth-chart-written-in-chalk

 

Key stuff imo: "Rookie third-round draft pick Tre'Quan Smith, meanwhile, has been one of the most exciting players in camp -- routinely making splash plays in both practices and games. The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder from Central Florida has shown an enticing combination of size, speed, hands and big-play ability, and he leads the Saints in catches (11), yards (147) and touchdowns (1) this preseason."

 

"Smith has shown great results almost every day in practice. No one is making more big plays down the field, week after week. But at the same time, Payton and Smith have both been pretty blunt about how much he still needs to learn.

Payton said it might be a case where the Saints have to "keep giving him the reps at what we think he's going to be doing in the game and reduce some of the variables."

Payton stopped short of comparing Smith's rookie-year potential to Thomas' potential in 2016 (when he caught 92 passes for 1,137 yards and nine touchdowns). But Payton did say he's encouraged by how bright Smith is, along with his his strong hands, his running ability and his blocking ability.

 

Saints receivers coach Curtis Johnson also praised Smith's intelligence, saying, "For a young kid, he's picking this thing up pretty well."

And Smith has talked passionately about wanting to become both a great receiver and a great student. He compared it to being back in school and being so much more confident when you actually know the answers while taking a test."

Well, he just shot up my draft board.

Similar to rumblings that were coming out about Kamara last year, though not quite as enthusiastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2018 at 4:57 PM, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

if he wins the starting job over Ginn, league winner. 

 

Will Fuller type, yes 

 

The Saints always have a blazer running go routes and he usually isn't a big fantasy producer.  Wouldn't Smith be more valuable if Ginn keeps his role and Smith gets to run a full route tree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just talked to some hardcore Saints fans who follow the team closely. First thought: ADD THIS GUY NOW. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

I just talked to some hardcore Saints fans who follow the team closely. First thought: ADD THIS GUY NOW. 

 

I have him ahead of ginn and meredith. Im also a saints fan. The guy is explosive. Hes fully aware of who had his # previously(cooks #10) he wants to make a good impression and make the # his. Heard him on the radio, late rounder, also Jonathon williams the first 4 weeks while ingram is out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has a Saints rookie ever made a significant fantasy impact?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the update from Rotoworld and dropped Meredith for him earlier today......... I don't expect much but I'll take the upside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chardo said:

Has a Saints rookie ever made a significant fantasy impact?

See Michael Thomas and Marques Colston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marques Colston in that TE/WR  spot his 1st year was money for me. 

 

Half of that T. Smith and I'll be pleased

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, munde53 said:

See Michael Thomas and Marques Colston.

See Alvin Kamara 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, affliction said:

See Alvin Kamara 

 

Should I entertain this list some more?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Nobody is that stupid to forget Kamara and Thomas. Cooks was also good before getting hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chardo said:

Has a Saints rookie ever made a significant fantasy impact?

 

Either that's sarcasm or you have an extremely short memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

 

Either that's sarcasm or you have an extremely short memory. 

It wasn't sarcasm if he says it was he is saving face 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now