ST. STEVEN

Tre'Quan Smith 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, mjb said:

Another issue this week @Baltimore.

I keep thinking about this as well. Tough D and the Saints usually play below par (considering Saints standards) away from home. Hoping the bye week and all of that positive Drew Brees-breaking-records energy trickles in to this week. Potential game where Brees tosses number 500.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Elaborate?

Brees on the road in a difficult matchup, they don’t get any tougher.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjb said:

Brees on the road in a difficult matchup, they don’t get any tougher.

This. As high as I am on Smith I’m not expecting much from him this week. 

• Like 1

Think I’m looking at this Baltimore game a bit more optimist than most for Tre’Quan. Not so much the saints outlook necessarily, but just the situation for Tre’Quan. I Think the bye week fell at a nice time... get the record celebration behind them...Ginn probably out... Carr will probably favor coverage to Michael Thomas and I don’t think the saints will have much luck trying to run Ingram. If I had to guess, kamara will be heavily targeted in the screen game to avoid the pass rush and maybe Tre’Quan is able to make some plays outta the slot or outside depending on where they line him up. Just got a hunch he sees some nice targets in this one. 

1 hour ago, munde53 said:

So now we're going going to compare a rookie TE (which historically have little to no success as rookies in the NFL) who didn't play college football until his senior year and who hadn't played football at all since he played defensive end in high school? Talking about different positions success and failures as rookies isn't relevant at all.

And the OBJ comment makes zero sense. OBJ's game isn't even in the same universe as Lance Moore, Kenny Stills, or Willie Snead. I think Cooks is a great player but he still isn't even on the same planet as OBJ and their games are very different.

I don't know what your issue is with someone saying Smith will be a fantasy relevant receiver, just not as a rookie.

So tight ends aren’t receivers now? Graham was the #1 de facto receiver for the Saints for many years especially considering he couldn’t/can’t block for s---. 

Like I said let’s see what happens.... by week 10 Tre will be the clear #2 and he’s going to have outproduced Ginn and Meredith when the season is done. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 

1 hour ago, oresteszero said:

Ted Ginn (knee) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Ginn missed the Week 5 win over the Redskins before the bye and still isn't ready. Tre'Quan Smith filled in admirably in Ginn's place, catching a pair of long touchdowns, including Drew Brees' 67-yard record-setting score.
Oct 17 - 3:05 PM

Great news!  This is Tre'Quan's opportunity to steal the job and run away with it!  

7 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Great news!  This is Tre'Quan's opportunity to steal the job and run away with it!  

Tough matchup but if he can produce on the road against Baltimore then he’s locking up that #2 spot even sooner than I expected. 

This is tying into a Thomas discussion. But does Jimmy Smith follow Thomas? 

If so, I’d imagine Quan could see a few more targets. 

Also, a few early sacks by the Ravens could help. Perhaps more pass blocking from Ingram.

1 hour ago, Asian Sensation said:

So tight ends aren’t receivers now? Graham was the #1 de facto receiver for the Saints for many years especially considering he couldn’t/can’t block for s---. 

Like I said let’s see what happens.... by week 10 Tre will be the clear #2 and he’s going to have outproduced Ginn and Meredith when the season is done. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 

What part of rookie do you not understand? TEs do not transition well from college to the pros their rookie years (there are very rare exceptions) and no they are not WRs. By that logic a TE is also an offensive tackle because both positions are asked to block. Graham was an extremely raw prospect who had only played one year of college football and only played one year of TE before going pro. I still don't even know why you brought him up because he plays a different position than Smith, they are not compatible at all in their stature, and their game is completely different.

You're getting so far into irrelevant arguments it's unreal.

Smith will not be fantasy relevant as a rookie unless both Ginn and Meredith are out of the picture for multiple weeks. Even if Smith outproduces Ginn and Meredith that does not mean he will be fantasy relevant (all three of them could have 600 yards and a few TDs). It's also probably relevant to point out that Brandon Coleman played more snaps than Ginn last year and yet Ginn saw 33 more targets. Now I think Smith is far more talented than Coleman but the point is just because he sees more snaps than Ginn or Meredith does not mean he will be targeted by Brees. 

Edited by munde53
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, munde53 said:

What part of rookie do you not understand? TEs do not transition well from college to the pros their rookie years (there are very rare exceptions) and no they are not WRs. By that logic a TE is also an offensive tackle because both positions are asked to block. Graham was an extremely raw prospect who had only played one year of college football and only played one year of TE before going pro. I still don't even know why you brought him up because he plays a different position than Smith, they are not compatible at all in their stature, and their game is completely different.

You're getting so far into irrelevant arguments it's unreal.

Smith will not be fantasy relevant as a rookie unless both Ginn and Meredith are out of the picture for multiple weeks. Even if Smith outproduces Ginn and Meredith that does not mean he will be fantasy relevant (all three of them could have 600 yards and a few TDs). It's also probably relevant to point out that Brandon Coleman played more snaps than Ginn last year and yet Ginn saw 33 more targets. Now I think Smith is far more talented than Coleman but the point is just because he sees more snaps than Ginn or Meredith does not mean he will be targeted by Brees. 

This rookie just caught two TDs on three catches. Brees will target him and if he succeeds he will stick. Happy to make him my new lottery ticket.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oban14 said:

This rookie just caught two TDs on three catches. Brees will target him and if he succeeds he will stick. Happy to make him my new lottery ticket.

He's certainly worth the lottery ticket, but he's not going to produce a fantasy relevant season with 3 targets per game. 

3 minutes ago, munde53 said:

He's certainly worth the lottery ticket, but he's not going to produce a fantasy relevant season with 3 targets per game. 

Thanks Captain Obvious! 

• Haha 1

The fact of the matter is the coaching staff has been raving about this kid since camp. He gets a shot and goes out there and kills it. Sure, maybe it doesn’t happen this year but it also wouldn’t shock me if he did become a permanent fixture. Who knows.... sean sure does love his hidden gems. He damn sure looks better than meredith and dropsy Ginn.

1 hour ago, Tenner said:

This is tying into a Thomas discussion. But does Jimmy Smith follow Thomas? 

If so, I’d imagine Quan could see a few more targets. 

Also, a few early sacks by the Ravens could help. Perhaps more pass blocking from Ingram.

Yes, absolutely. But the Ravens D is stacked in the secondary anyway as far as I can tell.

i believe brandon carr is the starting corner opposite smith. PFF has him graded as 70.2 "good" and CB #26 in the league. That's pretty damn good for your 2nd starting corner

21 minutes ago, Cotton Jones said:

Yes, absolutely. But the Ravens D is stacked in the secondary anyway as far as I can tell.

i believe brandon carr is the starting corner opposite smith. PFF has him graded as 70.2 "good" and CB #26 in the league. That's pretty damn good for your 2nd starting corner

Brees will get close to 300 yards. 

70 to Thomas

60 to Kamara

30 to Ingram

40 to TEs. 

Leaves about 100 for Cam and Quan. 

1 hour ago, Tenner said:

70 to Thomas

60 to Kamara

30 to Ingram

40 to TEs. 

Yeah I'm not saying they are going to shut down the Saints, at all. Offense > defense in NFL 2018. I'm expecting (hoping) for a shootout. Sean Payton is a genius, he will cook up whatever he needs to in order to avoid the Ravens' defensive strengths and exploit their weaknesses

I was simply saying the Ravens have a very good secondary, one of the best in the league, but...

Good offense > good defense

But the Ravens might be able to shut an individual receiver down if they focus on them. Maybe.

Edited by Cotton Jones

2 hours ago, Tenner said:

70 to Thomas

60 to Kamara

30 to Ingram

40 to TEs. 

47 minutes ago, Cotton Jones said:

Yeah I'm not saying they are going to shut down the Saints, at all. Offense > defense in NFL 2018. I'm expecting (hoping) for a shootout. Sean Payton is a genius, he will cook up whatever he needs to in order to avoid the Ravens' defensive strengths and exploit their weaknesses

I was simply saying the Ravens have a very good secondary, one of the best in the league, but...

Good offense > good defense

But the Ravens might be able to shut an individual receiver down if they focus on them. Maybe.

Giants held brees to 217 yds and 0 tds in week 4...just saying...

Game could go either way, Ravens best D in the nfl this year might shut him down...or Saints come out after the bye ready to roll...

Edited by skye2388

ESPN just updated his projection from 1 to 5

Meridith has 9. Not sure what it was before. 

Just an update for everyone following this thread. 

4 hours ago, munde53 said:

If he keeps running into the endzone with the ball, hes going to get a lot more than three targets.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, oban14 said:

If he keeps running into the endzone with the ball, hes going to get a lot more than three targets.

Thank you John Madden 

• Haha 1

Not starting Smith this week @ Baltimore vs. their defense but I'm holding onto him.  Wouldn't be surprised if Ginn is eventually placed on injured reserve because knee issues tend to linger.