ST. STEVEN

Tre'Quan Smith 2018 Outlook

2 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

No I believe it's Meredith in the slot.  

Yes, Smith Ginn role outside, Meredith slot.

1 minute ago, Power-O said:

gin has been gone most of the season...has any of the other wide-outs consistently done much?

Ginn has missed 1 game, Tre’s 3/111/2 game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Thomas and Meredith on the outside? Smith slot?

NO, Meredith slot.

Ginn at 33 years old received 22 targets in 4 games. He also played 170 out of 279 snaps (60%) thru week 4 before he got hurt. ** not sure if he finished entire game. 

67% for Smith last week. I assume he does well but iffy on expectations to start. 

Let's have some facts.  In the last four seasons at New Orleans, here's the seasonal output of the #2 WR by catches:

53 catches-787 yards-4 TD Ginn

78-1173-8 Cooks

69-984-3 Snead

59-902-5 Colston

Using last year's figures, here's where that output would fit into the WR rankings:

2017: 38th PPR / 38th standard

2016: 8th / 4th

2015: 25th / 27th

2014: 25th / 24th

Summary: Smith has the potential to be a low-end WR2 with upside and his floor should be around WR35-WR40 from here on out assuming he becomes the 2nd choice target for Brees.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Who knows if Meredith will even play. Isn't he dealing with an injury as well?

Practiced today, appears healthy.

Just now, MJJ28 said:

Ginn has missed 1 game, Tre’s 3/111/2 game.

asterisk - one of those td's was a totally blown coverage when he was on a go route, pitch and catch untouched

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Ginn at 33 years old received 22 targets in 4 games. He also played 170 out of 279 snaps (60%) thru week 4 before he got hurt. ** not sure if he finished entire game. 

67% for Smith last week. I assume he does well but iffy on expectations to start. 

What do u mean iffy on expectations to start?

2 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Who knows if Meredith will even play. Isn't he dealing with an injury as well?

Meredith is also dealing with a knee injury i think so its possible Quan will get significant looks RoS esp if Meredith ends up on IR as well.

They paid Meredith alot of money, I want smith to do well also, but temper expectations.  Wr3 with wr2 upside if it all works out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mmm sod said:

No you're right.  Go look at the top 24 and tell me who this guy fits over.  He's a WR3/4 with WR2 upside.

I think this is about right.  

1 minute ago, KennyWoo said:

Let's have some facts.  In the last four seasons at New Orleans, here's the seasonal output of the #2 WR by catches:

53 catches-787 yards-4 TD Ginn

78-1173-8 Cooks

69-984-3 Snead

59-902-5 Colston

Using last year's figures, here's where that output would fit into the WR rankings:

2017: 38th PPR / 38th standard

2016: 8th / 4th

2015: 25th / 27th

2014: 25th / 24th

Summary: Smith has the potential to be a low-end WR2 with upside and his floor should be around WR35-WR40 from here on out assuming he becomes the 2nd choice target for Brees.

My thoughts exactly. I'm pretty high on this guy because of his talent. That's why I said WR2. 

1 minute ago, skye2388 said:

Meredith is also dealing with a knee injury i think so its possible Quan will get significant looks RoS esp if Meredith ends up on IR as well.

Cameron Meredith (knee) was upgraded to full participation at Thursday's practice.

The way they can run the ball I don't see a lot of targets. That offense can be really explosive which means fewer plays on drive. I'd imagine with Ingram back they would like to slow the game down. The New Orleans defense is not that great. You saw what they did last game to slow it down. They got all over Washington then pounded the rock. Brees threw 29 times and they ran 32.

• Like 1

Automatic pickup obviously, but I would basically assign him the same value Ginn had when healthy. HR threat, not a target hog. 

• Like 2

He’s a great upside stash who just became startable in a pinch.  But let’s all just chill for minute, he’s the distant 4th option in this offense at best.

• Like 1

Just now, FitzMagic said:

The way they can run the ball I don't see a lot of targets. That offense can be really explosive which means fewer plays on drive. I'd imagine with Ingram back they would like to slow the game down. The New Orleans defense is not that great. You saw what they did last game to slow it down. They got all over Washington then pounded the rock. Brees threw 29 times and they ran 32.

He's going to get a few deep balls from Bree's every week. I like those odds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

Cameron Meredith (knee) was upgraded to full participation at Thursday's practice.
Meredith was limited Wednesday coming off the Saints' bye week but he was back to full work on Thursday. Obviously he'll be ready for Sunday's game in Baltimore. Meredith hasn't made much fantasy noise yet but that could change now that Ted Ginn (knee) is on I.R. Oct 18 - 4:54 PM

Graham Barfield@GrahamBarfield 40m40 minutes ago
In Week 5 without Ted Ginn (knee), Tre'Quan Smith played on a season-high 67% of #Saints snaps, he was second on the team in routes run (27), and led in share of air yards (38%).

With #Saints WR Ted Ginn (knee) being placed on IR today, rookie WR Tre'Quan Smith should start again for him (as he did in Week 5 vs. #Redskins, he's also listed as Ginn's backup). Smith played 44 out of 66 snaps (67%) in Week 5.

Adam LevitanVerified account @adamlevitan Aug 31
Tre'Quan Smith's first preseason: 15 catches, 189 yards, 1 TD on 17 targets.
Edited by jtbgator
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

They paid Meredith alot of money, I want smith to do well also, but temper expectations.  Wr3 with wr2 upside if it all works out.

such a BS narrative. they want to win games, sean payton and his staff dont give a s--- about the size of merediths contract dude.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Meredith was limited Wednesday coming off the Saints' bye week but he was back to full work on Thursday. Obviously he'll be ready for Sunday's game in Baltimore. Meredith hasn't made much fantasy noise yet but that could change now that Ted Ginn (knee) is on I.R. Oct 18 - 4:54 PM

Honestly I like Meredith better because he plays out of the slot and should be more consistent.   

There are a lot of mouths to feed in NO and only one spoon to do it.