ST. STEVEN

Tre'Quan Smith 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Any details on his pre-season snap counts with the first team offense?

Meredith seems to be struggling big time to get back, and Ted Ginn doesn't seem like a huge obstacle to overcome.  If last year proves to be the outlier, and the Saints come back to ~600-625 pass attempts (which is still on the low side compared to his years in NO), Smith could be very productive this season.  

Honestly, the only way I see last year's offense as an outlier is if the defense makes its way back to Suckville. If the defense is at least as good as 2017, I expect we'll see more of the same offense this year. If the defense regresses and Ginn shows his age, then yeah I agree that we could very see TQ break out as a rookie. 

What?

RBs were 2 of the top 4 in targets last year.  Not changing.

Ben Watson's back with the team.  He slides in between the RBs for targets.

Ginn is still on the team.

Sprinkle in some tosses to other random receivers as an afterthought.

DND

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Under Payton, the Saints have had No2 WRs reach 1000 yards twice...in 2011 and 2012. I honestly would pump the breaks on Smith. I love this kid, and as a Saints fan he has me VERY excited about the future of our WR corps. But...chances are better than not that he ends up with no more than 800-900 receiving yards. Why? Just look at last year when Payton showed renewed dedication to the running game and less reliance on Brees. Add to that a defense that was much improved in 2017 and a unit that the Saints expect to be just as good or better this year. A better defense leads to fewer shootouts and fewer catch-up games...which plays into Payton's desire to use balance in the offense with the running game. 

Ted Ginn wil get his targets. Meredith may or may not begin to get his legs back under him, and if he does, he's too talented for Brees to ignore. Speaking of Brees, he's historically been a QB who prefers to spread the wealth than rely on just a couple of pass-catchers. We know Thomas and Kamara are going to eat. Ginn will get his targets. Ben Watson looks solid again at TE. Ingram will get his targets when he returns. 

Smith looks like an enormously talented player, but I think stating it's possible that he's a fantasy WR2 this year is a bit premature. I'm personally think that 60-800-6 would be a fine season for Smith. That would be ~134 points in my 1/2 PPR league, which would have made him a low-end WR3. 

Reading tea leaves.

And you skipped the next couple years because you don't consider Graham a WR.

Anywho.  Graham was traded for a run blocking center.  Tackles were drafted 1st round in 2015 and 2017.  Team focused on rebuilding their offense last year.

BAM!  Low scores and run the ball a lot.

Last year was one of the most efficient of Brees' career.  He's still got it, but defense wins championships.  Real championships, not fake ones like we play.

15 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Reading tea leaves.

And you skipped the next couple years because you don't consider Graham a WR.

Anywho.  Graham was traded for a run blocking center.  Tackles were drafted 1st round in 2015 and 2017.  Team focused on rebuilding their offense last year.

BAM!  Low scores and run the ball a lot.

Last year was one of the most efficient of Brees' career.  He's still got it, but defense wins championships.  Real championships, not fake ones like we play.

I didn't skip anything, so I'm not sure what you mean. It had nothing to do with who I considered a WR. The Saints had two 1000yd pass catchers in one season three times under Payton...2011, 2012, 2016. Graham was one of the two in 2011, the only pass-catcher with 1000+ yards in 2013, and those were his only two seasons with more than 1000 yards receiving. So I'm not sure what the first part of your post means. 

The last part I agree with. Payton had a new focus offensively last year, and the improved defense helped out. 

24 minutes ago, jmausen said:

What?

DND

The RBs being 2 of the top 4 targets last year will, in fact, change for the first four games this year. Jonathan Williams is assumed to be taking the "Ingram" role, and that guy is simply not a pass-catcher. He caught all of 26 balls in his career at Arkansas and had two targets as a rookie (who didn't play much) in 2016. My point? If there was an opportunity for TQ to get some targets and show he's capable on the NFL level, the four-game stretch during Ingram's suspension is it. Watson is old, and so is Ginn. Who really knows what happens to them. 

I do think guys need to temper the expectations, but you're saying "DND" about a kid who has been nothing but impressive on a daily basis during camp and the preseason. A kid, mind you, who can most likely be had in the final round of a draft or even plucked off the wire. Those late picks are for depth and/or lotto picks. TQ is a lotto pick, and he's well worth investing your final non-kicker pick. 

• Like 1

You guys are overthinking it...

Saints produce a new 1st round guy every year from thin air.

Now we DND thin air? Lol k

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pushaZ said:

You guys are overthinking it...

Saints produce a new 1st round guy every year from thin air.

Now we DND thin air? Lol k

Scooped him last night. If the Saints target an offensive weapon in the 3rd round, I want to invest in that player. All I need to know.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jmausen said:

What?

DND

The Debbie Downers are guys who missed out on him.  Just ignore them.  

2 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

The Debbie Downers are guys who missed out on him.  Just ignore them.  

You say this again, but you never addressed my post to you about you being wrong. You still believe I think we should pump the brakes because I don't own him? LOL. 

1 minute ago, DValentine said:

You think he’s worth a stash in a 10 team league? 3 WR 5 bench spots 

I think he's worth a flex start in a 1 team league

• Haha 1

"That’s a good summation of Smith’s play against the Chargers. Here’s some stats I found on his preseason stats to-date: Smith currently ranks second in among the league’s wide receivers with nine receptions converting a 1st down, a conversion rate of 81.8% – the best among all players with 11 or more receptions. He still hasn’t caught a pass in a game from Drew Brees, by the way."

From the article, this is what stood out to me. 

1 minute ago, Brettg57 said:

"That’s a good summation of Smith’s play against the Chargers. Here’s some stats I found on his preseason stats to-date: Smith currently ranks second in among the league’s wide receivers with nine receptions converting a 1st down, a conversion rate of 81.8% – the best among all players with 11 or more receptions. He still hasn’t caught a pass in a game from Drew Brees, by the way."

From the article, this is what stood out to me. 

Cam Meredith hasn't caught a pass at all

49 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Cam Meredith hasn't caught a pass at all

True, he also admitted he isn't fully healthy but close. This cat is healthy no? I don't know a ton about this guy, but all speculation right now? Is he worth a roster spot over someone like a Chris Godwin? Similar situations.. 

Just now, Brettg57 said:

True, he also admitted he isn't fully healthy but close. This cat is healthy no? I don't know a ton about this guy, but all speculation right now? Is he worth a roster spot over someone like a Chris Godwin? Similar situations.. 

It all depends on if you're in the kind of league where people take notice to patterns... Like the kind of coaching patterns Sean Payton has when he uses rookies and uses #2 receivers extensively. I like Godwin too have them both.

I would say most certainly cut somebody, maybe not Godwin. Who else ya got to cut?

Sounds like Meredith isn't done yet...

Saints coach Sean Payton said Cameron Meredith will receive "quite a bit of work" in Thursday's preseason finale against the Rams.

The Saints will rest the majority of their starters on Thursday but Meredith, who has struggled throughout the preseason, will not be getting the night off. His rust is understandable—Meredith is coming off a torn ACL that sidelined for all of 2017 and is still learning the intricacies of Payton's offense. However, the 25-year-old thinks he is finally on the right track. "I’m starting to come out and feel like myself," he said. He's been going as a late-round flyer in fantasy drafts this summer.

Aug 28 - 7:44 PM

44 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Sounds like Meredith isn't done yet...

Wouldnt this mean that Meredith needs to show something on tape so that they can determine if he or smith should start?

why would they play him in a meaningless game? It’s because they aren’t sold on him and they want to see way more out of him.

7 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Wouldnt this mean that Meredith needs to show something on tape so that they can determine if he or smith should start?

why would they play him in a meaningless game? It’s because they aren’t sold on him and they want to see way more out of him.

I took it as he hasn't had the chance to play so this would be a good opportunity to get him some snaps before the season opener lol.

Played well again tonight on 4 targets for 4 catches with 42 yards receiving.

Hoping I can sneak this guy on somewhere. 

UCF produces talent.  I'm not exactly sure why they typically don't get respect in the NFL from the scouts/front office.  Rarely do I see a UCF guy go before I expect him to, even when their talent would warrant it.  Jah Reid, Troup, and Perriman after that silly 40 was an obvious DHB move are about it.  Heck, Bouye went undrafted.  

Smith is the most polished guy I've seen in a while.  He improved each year on limited volume and refined his game.  I had him as my #3 or #4 guy in the entire draft at WR.  

Meredith looked like he also meant biz last night ... they may cancel each other out, rendering them both very shaky cats to plug n' play ... which is a shame because they both flash so much brilliance, and, well ... Breesus

21 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Meredith looked like he also meant biz last night ... they may cancel each other out, rendering them both very shaky cats to plug n' play ... which is a shame because they both flash so much brilliance, and, well ... Breesus

By meant biz do you mean catching two WIIIIIIIIDE open balls of his 4 targets? Like seriously, someone's mom was covering him last night:

I think Smith is the better pickup, though I would be scared to start either one until further notice.

So the assumption at this time would be Carr/Meredith would be the slot receiver in three-wides either way?

Edited by kball09