ST. STEVEN

Tre'Quan Smith 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Feels like this all depends on Ginn, until Quan can show he will get the looks in spite of an active Ginn 

If Ginn is out then Quan is still a risky but exciting start. Risky because his low # of targets makes him inherently boom or bust

Ginn is embedded in the offense, has experience and a report with Brees, and is still more than capable. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the team, especially as a starter

The idea that one huge 3 target, 2 TD game from Quan, when one of those TD's was on a pitch and catch with a badly busted coverage, is going to result in Ginn being benched or having his role drastically reduced in favor of Quan is wishing thinking in the extreme

I would like it to happen, but I try to be a realist

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smith is very talented. Would argue he is better than Ridley but went to a smaller school so his draft capital was lower.

 

Has sure speed and athleteism to be a great receiver. He is better than Ginn but doesn't have experience.

His first game getting 60% or more sensors he gets big targets. Yes only 3 but game flow had Brees not passing much.

 

I just dropped Sutton for him. Figure better qb and great matchups rest of season especially week 10 and on. He has the bye to be better integrated into the offense.

Great stash for last half of season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am skeptical, even though I am a huge fan of his talents. Payton will not just mothball Ginn imo.

Still Payton will find avenues for Smith to be on the field...just hard to count on consistent looks currently--it is a scary floor but he's a great stash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CanaBuc said:

Smith is very talented. Would argue he is better than Ridley but went to a smaller school so his draft capital was lower.

 

Has sure speed and athleteism to be a great receiver. He is better than Ginn but doesn't have experience.

His first game getting 60% or more sensors he gets big targets. Yes only 3 but game flow had Brees not passing much.

 

I just dropped Sutton for him. Figure better qb and great matchups rest of season especially week 10 and on. He has the bye to be better integrated into the offense.

Great stash for last half of season. 

 

How much do you think he will be utilized this year? (If the NO WR's stay healthy) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody knows for sure. Don't remember last time New Orleans had such a talented wr2. Stills and Snead both had viable fantasy seasons and Smith is the better talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 1:43 PM, JediMasters said:

2010 Jimmy Graham (Rd 3)

2011 Mark Ingram (Rd 1)

2013 Kenny Stills (Rd 5)

2014 Brandin Cooks (Rd 1)

2016 Michael Thomas (Rd 2)

2017 Alvin Kamara (Rd 3)

Most of those guys (Graham, Ingram, Stills, Cooks) were irrelevant their rookie year. You also forgot to include Nick Toon (4th round 2012) in your list of rookies. He would also fall into the category of irrelevant rookie (actually his entire career) receivers. The Saints have also struck out on 1st round receivers (Robert Meachem in 2007) and struck absolute gold in the 7th (Colston in 2006) in the past for total transparency.

 

For the recent successes, Thomas was a great pick and his skill set fit what Brees likes. A big bodied physical receiver who dominates the ball at the point of attack. Brees was looking for a big bodied replacement for Graham and Colston which he had lost just a few years prior. Thomas fit that profile perfectly. Kamara was another home run but he didn't exactly come out of nowhere and would have been a 1st round pick if not for his off the field issues in college. The Saints have always utilized a pass catching running back as a focal point in their backfield, Kamara fit perfectly into that role as well. Sproles, Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, etc. have all been highly successful in this offense and Kamara was slotted immediately for that role.

 

Now the Saints have also always had a speed take the lid off of the defense receiver who produces every year and Smith does fit that profile. However, Ginn and Meredith also fit that same profile and are currently being targeted much more often than Smith. Brees obviously trusts Ginn and he appears to trust Meredith more than Smith based on his targeting between the two receivers.

 

I still like Smith to emerge as a good fantasy option in this offense but I don't think it happens this year. I think he falls closer to Kenny Stills in that respect. Rookie receivers have had success in this offense but the receivers who have had success are the big bodied physical possession receivers (Colston and Thomas) not speed deep threats.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, munde53 said:

 

I still like Smith to emerge as a good fantasy option in this offense but I don't think it happens this year. I think he falls closer to Kenny Stills in that respect. Rookie receivers have had success in this offense but the receivers who have had success are the big bodied physical possession receivers (Colston and Thomas) not speed deep threats.

 

giphy.gif

 

Brandin Cooks is the exact opposite of everything you mentioned that’s a ‘pre-requisite’ apparently in order to succeed in NO. 

 

5’9 180 pounds 

Had back to back seasons where he put up

1138 yards 9 tds

1173 yards 8 tds

 

Willie Snead 

5’11 205 pounds 

put up 984 yards and 3 tds and 895 yards and 4 tds the next year while not being a starter most games and being the 3rd or 4th receiving option. Snead is a possession receiver but he certainly doesn’t fit your big bodied physical requirement. 

 

Lance Moore

5’9 177 pounds obviously not a big bodied physical possession receiver or a deep burner for that matter. He sure could 

 

His top 3 years with the Saints include 

929 yards 10 tds 

1041 yards 6 tds

763 yards and 8 tds. 

 

Sorry the above examples contradict your agenda. However, It’s quite clear guys that can play are going to do just that... ball and put up numbers regardless of height/weight/size/style.

 

Oh and if you only saw Tre’Quans highlights from the last game or that was your first time seeing him play .... he’s far from just being a speed/deep threat plus he’s listed at 6’2 212 pounds and his forte is being a go-to possession receiver. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

 

giphy.gif

 

Brandin Cooks is the exact opposite of everything you mentioned that’s a ‘pre-requisite’ apparently in order to succeed in NO. 

 

5’9 180 pounds 

Had back to back seasons where he put up

1138 yards 9 tds

1173 yards 8 tds

 

Willie Snead 

5’11 205 pounds 

put up 984 yards and 3 tds and 895 yards and 4 tds the next year while not being a starter most games and being the 3rd or 4th receiving option. Snead is a possession receiver but he certainly doesn’t fit your big bodied physical requirement. 

 

Lance Moore

5’9 177 pounds obviously not a big bodied physical possession receiver or a deep burner for that matter. He sure could 

 

His top 3 years with the Saints include 

929 yards 10 tds 

1041 yards 6 tds

763 yards and 8 tds. 

 

Sorry the above examples contradict your agenda. However, It’s quite clear guys that can play are going to do just that... ball and put up numbers regardless of height/weight/size/style.

 

Oh and if you only saw Tre’Quans highlights from the last game or that was your first time seeing him play .... he’s far from just being a speed/deep threat plus he’s listed at 6’2 212 pounds and his forte is being a go-to possession receiver. 

 

Seriously dude? I get it we disagree but way to twist my words. I said ROOKIE receiver.

 

As ROOKIES the guys you listed finished as:

Cooks WR #53 - Irrelevant

 

Snead WR #35 - WR3 option <-- But you said it yourself, Snead is a possession receiver and they have a track record of thriving as rookies with Brees in the form of Colston and Thomas. He didn't have the size of Thomas/Colston which is why he topped out around at just over 900 yards for his career. That year was also the year Colston fell off completely and Graham was injured. Despite not being listed as the "starter" Snead still played the 2nd most snaps of any WR on the Saints.

 

Moore WR #?? - Completely and utterly irrelevant (he had one catch)

 

So the only non-big bodied receiver to have success for the Saints as a ROOKIE was Snead and that was because he fell into the possession role the big bodied receiver typically occupies.

 

And if you think two wide open receptions make Smith a "go-to possession receiver" you better hope he is wide open on just about every snap he's in on. I get it, you like Smith, so do I, just not this year. 

Edited by munde53
spelling is hard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, munde53 said:

Seriously dude? I get it we disagree but way to twist my words. I said ROOKIE receiver.

 

As ROOKIES the guys you listed finished as:

Cooks WR #53 - Irrelevant

 

Snead WR #35 - WR3 option <-- But you said it yourself, Snead is a possession receiver and they have a track record of thriving as rookies with Brees in the form of Colston and Thomas. He didn't have the size of Thomas/Colston which is why he topped out around at just over 900 yards for his career. That year was also the year Colston fell off completely and Graham was injured. Despite not being listed as the "starter" Snead still played the 2nd most snaps of any WR on the Saints.

 

Moore WR #?? - Completely and utterly irrelevant (he had one catch)

 

So the only non-big bodied receiver to have success for the Saints as a ROOKIE was Snead and that was because he fell into the possession role the big bodied receiver typically occupies.

 

And if you think two wide open receptions make Smith a "go-to possession receiver" you better hope he is wide open on just about every snap he's in on. I get it, you like Smith, so do I, just not this year. 

 

Ever heard of Jimmy Graham? It sounds like you have since you mentioned his name. Why don’t you tell me about his rookie season? He’s the epitome of this “big bodied go-to possession receiver” you keep harping on yet his stats would be considered as you like to call it ‘worthless’. So what gives? 

 

Also, going by your logic thank god OBJ never got drafted by the Saints. ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Mr. Tre'quan Smith,

 

Please save my fantasy season.

 

Sincerely,

Disgruntled LeSean, Amari, Watkins, and Fuller owner who is on a 3 game losing streak

 

With that said...

 

ALL ABOARDDDDD

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

Dear Mr. Tre'quan Smith,

 

Please save my fantasy season.

 

Sincerely,

Disgruntled LeSean, Amari, Watkins, and Fuller owner who is on a 3 game losing streak

 

With that said...

 

ALL ABOARDDDDD

 

This thread in a nutshell. Good luck moving forward! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People have been hyping him all year, but I just can't see Brees locking in on two receivers.  It was hard to draft his number one for the longest time because he spread the ball so much.  Now we're expecting him to feed two wide receivers consistently?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThePerfectBeard said:

People have been hyping him all year, but I just can't see Brees locking in on two receivers.  It was hard to draft his number one for the longest time because he spread the ball so much.  Now we're expecting him to feed two wide receivers consistently?

 

I agree.

 

The funny thing is I'm in a deeper league and all 3 of Ginn, Meredith and Smith are sitting on my waiver wire.  It seems like there is bound to be some value with at least one of those guys.

 

No telling which one I guess though.  Ginn is the least exciting but the guy that just doesn't seem to go away.  Smith seems like the biggest upside guy.

 

Just not sure any of them will be worth starting in fantasy except for a dart throw.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Asian Sensation said:

 

Ever heard of Jimmy Graham? It sounds like you have since you mentioned his name. Why don’t you tell me about his rookie season? He’s the epitome of this “big bodied go-to possession receiver” you keep harping on yet his stats would be considered as you like to call it ‘worthless’. So what gives? 

 

Also, going by your logic thank god OBJ never got drafted by the Saints. ?

 

 

So now we're going going to compare a rookie TE (which historically have little to no success as rookies in the NFL) who didn't play college football until his senior year and who hadn't played football at all since he played defensive end in high school? Talking about different positions success and failures as rookies isn't relevant at all.

 

And the OBJ comment makes zero sense. OBJ's game isn't even in the same universe as Lance Moore, Kenny Stills, or Willie Snead. I think Cooks is a great player but he still isn't even on the same planet as OBJ and their games are very different.

 

I don't know what your issue is with someone saying Smith will be a fantasy relevant receiver, just not as a rookie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ginn didn't practice today. If he sits out again, is Smith worth grabbing? Perhaps he can take over the WR2 in NO?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at this point in the season, you can either use the waiver wire to mine for upside stashes and/or lotto tickets who become relevant because of injury.

 

I think Quan has the skills and talent to be very successful.  He was impressive in the preseason.  All he needs is an opportunity.  I'd rather take a chance with him and Brees than all of these other WR3s who have average QBs throwing the ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ted Ginn - WR - Saints

Ted Ginn (knee) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Ginn missed the Week 5 win over the Redskins before the bye and still isn't ready. Tre'Quan Smith filled in admirably in Ginn's place, catching a pair of long touchdowns, including Drew Brees' 67-yard record-setting score.
 
 
Oct 17 - 3:05 PM

 

Dear Fantasy Gods,

 

Please let this happen.  Please save my season.  Please give me just one ounce of luck this year.

 

Sincerely,

Disgruntled McCoy, Cooper, Watkins, and Fuller owner who is on a 3 game losing streak and has had zero luck this year.

 

With that being said...

 

ALL ABOARDDDDD

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 9:43 PM, Cotton Jones said:

Feels like this all depends on Ginn, until Quan can show he will get the looks in spite of an active Ginn 

If Ginn is out then Quan is still a risky but exciting start.

 

Please let this happen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ted Ginn (knee) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Ginn missed the Week 5 win over the Redskins before the bye and still isn't ready. Tre'Quan Smith filled in admirably in Ginn's place, catching a pair of long touchdowns, including Drew Brees' 67-yard record-setting score.
Oct 17 - 3:05 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't think this dude has much value in leagues of standard depth but he seems like a decent dfs punt this week if that helps with valuation. very risky play in fantasy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another issue this week @Baltimore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...