RedDogNamedClippers

Rudy Gay 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Another year removed from his Anchilles injury and Kawhi Leonard is gone. Will he be somewhat of a late round steal for some? How did Gay & DeMar play like last time when they was together in Toronto? They both are not good 3 point shooters, then you add in Aldridge who is also a mid range shooter, so who is stretching the floor? 

I can see Gay back at his 47% maybe an uptick at 15.5 PPG and I say 4.1 rebounds compared to the 5 he averaged last year. What are your guys opinion?

• Like 1

Think he could have a renaissance season. No competition for minutes outside of Belinelli, and maybe Demar plays the 3 for short stretches. Someone on the Spurs will need to stretch the floor, I think Rudy is the answer. If he can get 27-30 mpg, I could see 14.5/5.5/2 with 1.5 3s and almost 1 stl and blk. FG5 may take a hit because I do think he will be shooting more 3s. Not a great 3p shooter, as you mentioned, but he has a had seasons of 35%-37%, so the precedent is there.

Top 100 guy, should be a solid late round pick. Like what has been stated he's gonna get 28-30 MPG as the only true SF on the roster, he feels more healthy and should be more comfortable in his 2nd year with the Spurs. Should be aound 15/6/2 and 1/1/1. Should also be able to up his FT%, was 77% last year but the previous 4 years before that it's been 85/78/85/82. The injury probably messed with him mentally, can see a bump to 80 FT% with 45-46 FG%.

• Like 1

He's ranked 169 on Yahoo. It's safe to say he's going to cut that in half at least. 

2 hours ago, paokmaniak said:

Any ideas after the recent game?? Is he top 100 or not?

There's no way to tell his ADP in one preseason game, man. But i liked how he moved and he's clearly has a green light to shoot from beyons the arc. He also attempted a dunk which is encouraging considering his past injury.

• Like 2

He said he feels good and that he finally feels athletic again.  He should get 26+ mpg as pretty much the only SF on the roster.  I think he finishes in the 80-100 range and is likely to smash his ADP

Yeah, Rudy looking like a good pick this year.  Another year removed from his achilles tear.  Should be the starting SF and see time at PF too when SA runs Aldridge at C.  Per BB Monster, Rudy ranked 44 or better per game in 8 cat leagues for 8 straight seasons prior to last season.  A guy I will be targeting this year.

• Like 1

He's currently sitting on my wire and I'm tempted. The only droppable player I have is RHJ...at the risk of this being an AC question, would you drop RHJ for Rudy? Always liked his fantasy game and he's been part of my winning squads in the past.

34 minutes ago, fabrar said:

He's currently sitting on my wire and I'm tempted. The only droppable player I have is RHJ...at the risk of this being an AC question, would you drop RHJ for Rudy? Always liked his fantasy game and he's been part of my winning squads in the past.

You can definitely drop Wade for him. I think Gay and RHG are about the same in value too - Gay can contribute 3's but RHG has more potential and is younger. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

Got him at pick 114. It feels like I stole from someone. Kinda feel bad. 

He got undrafted in my 12-team league. Well-rounded stats line and can play both F spots. The only concern is playing time... I think Dejounte Murray's injury makes him an immediate pickup when everybody looks to Derrick White.  No Kawhi, no Danny Green, no Slow-Mo in his contract year. Pop revived LMA last season and I hope he can make Gay bounce back too.   

On 10/9/2018 at 10:19 PM, sickrookie said:

He got undrafted in my 12-team league. Well-rounded stats line and can play both F spots. The only concern is playing time... I think Dejounte Murray's injury makes him an immediate pickup when everybody looks to Derrick White.  No Kawhi, no Danny Green, no Slow-Mo in his contract year. Pop revived LMA last season and I hope he can make Gay bounce back too.   

How he goes undrafted in 156 picks is beyond me.  There aren't really playing time concerns with him this year.  Kyle Anderson is gone.  Kawhi is gone.  He's pretty much the only true SF on the roster.  While I don't think he sees 30+ mpg he should easily get 24-28 mpg and be a top-100 guy with his all-around production.  Great fit for Roto

• Like 2

How bad is a bursa inflammation as any foot injury seems bad.   Picked him off waivers but not sure with a heel injury if it’s recurring and worth hanging on. 

20 minutes ago, vspt said:

How bad is a bursa inflammation as any foot injury seems bad.   Picked him off waivers but not sure with a heel injury if it’s recurring and worth hanging on. 

Wondering the same thing. I think the same injury nagged him last year. I’m debating dropping and moving on. He ain’t exactly a youngster 

Maybe the RW beatwriter over dramatized it with the “could sit out in the opener” and leaving out the rest of the detail as cbs noted the following:

Gay will not play Friday due to inflammation in his heel, Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News reports.

Gay has an inflamed bursa in his heel, which isn't overly concerning, though Gay did battle bursitis for much of last season as he worked back from a torn Achilles. Coach Gregg Popovich said Gay's absence Friday is mostly precautionary, but he admitted that there's a chance the ailment could carry into next week's season opener.

Edited by vspt
  • Thanks 2

Same on waiting.  Too much opportunity right now with all the talen that left and all the pg injuries. 

3 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

I thought it was serious. Thank goodness. 

yea how the rotoblurb desribed it, I thouht it would be serious too.  they called it "Major red flag" or something like that....

22 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

What are realistic expectations for him this year? I blew my draft and picked him up in waivers hoping for the best 

I'm high on him this season,green,slowmo,kawhi,manu...all of their wing player gone,playing time should increase to high 20s

And with D.murray likely out for season,his usage should go up

My projected stat: 15pts 5.5rebs 2 assists 1.1 stls 0.7blks 46 FG% 80FT% 1.7to  (It's very useful if he is your 11-13th round pick)

Edited by kane
  • Thanks 2