Sign in to follow this  
gbill2004

Philip Rivers 2018 Outlook

Man this is such a tough call. I'm stuck what to do at QB. Whether I should play Rivers or pick up Blake Bortles, Alex Smith, Jared Goff or Andy Dalton. Ah first hard call for me of the year. This is a tough one because of this stat right here that I should saw regarding Rivers:

"Rivers and Wade Phillips know each other well when the latter held the same position in Denver from 2015-16, and Rivers averaged just 13.5 Fantasy points against the Broncos in four games over that span."

Edited by jagsfan05
  • Like 1

My decision is easy, because I literally have zero room on my bench to sign a QB. If you have the bench space, I wouldn’t blame you if you went for a better matchup. I guess it’s just a question on if you feel like it’s worth burning a bench spot for a QB, and you need to be really confident in that QB out scoring Rivers if you’re dropping a player of significance. 

16 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

I went ahead and picked up fitz for this week because this matchup against the Rams has me worried.

Two words... Garbage Time.

I also fired up Fitz this week.

Rivers is an excellent QB, with excellent weapons. He has more weapons this year then any other previous year.

Hoping by sitting Rivers this week doesn't come back to haunt me. 

I think ESPN is too low on his projection of 14.9 points. 

This is should be a great game with lots of offense. 

Best script obviously is for the Rams to come out hot and the game turns into a shootout. 

Is Peters on Keenan?

Everyone is down on Rivers this week. Fading the general consensus and starting him. Battle Los Angeles goes to rivers and the chargers!

Everyone's roster is different, but i gotta roll him out.  Hate it bc it's a perfect storm of Rams defensive talent + Wade Phillips has owned Rivers when he was Denver DC.  Beyond this week, Rivers' ROS isn't bad at all.  Suck it up, hope the Rams get out to a big lead, and rivers is playing catch up vs a soft defense

19 minutes ago, kco734 said:

Everyone is down on Rivers this week. Fading the general consensus and starting him. Battle Los Angeles goes to rivers and the chargers!

5 minutes ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

Everyone's roster is different, but i gotta roll him out.  Hate it bc it's a perfect storm of Rams defensive talent + Wade Phillips has owned Rivers when he was Denver DC.  Beyond this week, Rivers' ROS isn't bad at all.  Suck it up, hope the Rams get out to a big lead, and rivers is playing catch up vs a soft defense

100% of the "experts" say to sit Rivers. so obvious this game is the upset of the week.

philip-rivers.gif?w=640&h=360

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tenner said:

I think ESPN is too low on his projection of 14.9 points. 

This is should be a great game with lots of offense. 

Best script obviously is for the Rams to come out hot and the game turns into a shootout. 

Is Peters on Keenan?

In my mind 15 points seems about right (250 passing yards, 1 TD & maybe 1 pick). That's what I'm projecting. 

The Rams D is legit. They have yet to give up a passing TD, have 4 picks through two games, and have one of the best Dlines in the league. At least on the interior. The Bolts are not gonna have the kind of offensive output like they did against KC & Buffalo. I'd lower your expectations if you roll him out. 

I'm actually thinking about picking up Tannehill and plugging him in. He's averaging almost 20 FP/G, it's a home game against a west coast team traveling east, and it's a better match up IMO. 

• Like 1

Peters, Talib, Suh, Donald, if you have a QB1, this may be the only time you bench Rivers.

23 hours ago, kco734 said:

Rams are legit SB contenders, no way the Chargers beat the Rams straight up!!

I had a dream he started the game 5/6 with close to 80 yards. The lone incomplete pass was an interception though. 

Consistently good. Not record setting stellar. But very good. 

Ok - Browns next week. Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Consistently good. Not record setting stellar. But very good. 

Ok - Browns next week. Thoughts?

Gotta roll with him.  Had a good showing at the Rams.  Expect 250-300 yds, 2 TDS.

He spreads the ball around so effectively. On pace for 4,800 yards and might not have a single 1,000 yard receiver. 

Plays in London this weekend.   Do we treat this game as if it’s one of those Thursday night games? Lol

5 minutes ago, Nah85 said:

Plays in London this weekend.   Do we treat this game as if it’s one of those Thursday night games? Lol

Phillip Rivers is a stud IMO - start your studs.  Also the Titans pass defense is middle of the road.  

Also, the "Thursday night" narrative I think should be done with.  

Thursday night games so far:

Week 1: 30 total points - first game of the season so obviously not a great showing

Week 2: 57 total points

Week 3: 38 total points - Browns vs. Jets - watdya expect?

Week 4: 69 total points

Week 5: 62 total points

Week 6: 47 total points

There have been plenty of points this year for Thursday nights unless it was the very first game of the season, or Browns/Jets.  With that said, I don't expect much scoring from tonight's offenses. 

Sorry went off on a tangent there.  Rivers is set and forget IMO unless you grabbed someone like Jameis and can play match ups.

28 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Phillip Rivers is a stud IMO - start your studs.  Also the Titans pass defense is middle of the road.  

Also, the "Thursday night" narrative I think should be done with.  

Thursday night games so far:

Week 1: 30 total points - first game of the season so obviously not a great showing

Week 2: 57 total points

Week 3: 38 total points - Browns vs. Jets - watdya expect?

Week 4: 69 total points

Week 5: 62 total points

Week 6: 47 total points

There have been plenty of points this year for Thursday nights unless it was the very first game of the season, or Browns/Jets.  With that said, I don't expect much scoring from tonight's offenses. 

Sorry went off on a tangent there.  Rivers is set and forget IMO unless you grabbed someone like Jameis and can play match ups.

I’m so torn on Rivers this week. You know he won’t lay a complete egg but other options like a Joe Flacco might be better used this week. Still undecided