Sign in to follow this  
gbill2004

Philip Rivers 2018 Outlook

These weather concerns are classic. Unless it's an absolute monsoon out there, or a blizzard, then you shouldn't be overthinking it. Cold weather and a little bit of rain won't effect much. Its football lol 

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

Anyone just a bit worried? I mean not worried like Rivers is gonna have 10 points but worried that it is a trap game with everyone thinking 25-30 fantasy points?

The Chiefs are SO MUCH better at home and with the exception of the Jaguar outlier game, the are very tough on the pass at home. Could be a little bit of the actual teams QB's were not good, could be a little bit of home field advantage....

I will say this, I have Josh Allen on my bench and in my big money league in which there are NO NEGATIVE's for INT/FL I am thinking about it a bit

Yeah, yeah I here ya, I know, "don't bench the guys who have gotten you this far" well , that statement has been true about 40% of the time for me in my 8 year fantasy career so stick it if you are going to say that.

With the exception of opening night this year in L.A. Rivers is garbage vs KC, especially on their turf.......just saying K

The way I see it, is if Lamar Jackson, who is supposedly a poor passer.. Can come in and put up a respectable line(2 passing TDs) against this same KC defense on their turf. Rivers will be just fine. He has been so consistent this year, so I am taking him because of a safe floor. 

Anyone know his history playing on Thursday Night Football on a short week?

I’m definitely rolling him out tonight (over Luck), I think it should be a highly contested matchup with both teams still competing for the AFC West, and with both running back situations in disarray I definitely see a high potential for the passing game. Not to mention the 424 yards and 3 TDs he dropped on them back in Week 1 (albeit, at home)

But I’d still feel a little less anxiety knowing he’s performed relatively consistently on TNF in the past.

Edited by JDE

I’m definitely starting him. Tho I agree with the TNF anxiety complex. 

I got up to 4 players starting tonight. Lots of eggs in this basket 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tenner said:

I’m definitely starting him. Tho I agree with the TNF anxiety complex. 

I got up to 4 players starting tonight. Lots of eggs in this basket 

yeah I could possibly have 3 and it worries me. Such a horrible feeling if your team crashes and burns in the first game of the week

29 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

yeah I could possibly have 3 and it worries me. Such a horrible feeling if your team crashes and burns in the first game of the week

I have it even tougher than some... 

I have Rivers tonight or Cam on Monday Night...    My opponent has CMC..

So I either roll with Rivers and hope for a good game,  then bug out all Monday night while CMC racks up points...

Or roll with Cam so I have a horse in Monday night's weekend finale and if CMC catches tds and gets yards ill get those points too...

If Rivers were to be meh tonight we would be in big trouble and already hate football for this weekend... :angry:

But if Rivers goes off like he did week 1 vs K.C. then all of us with him in our semi-final lineups may be looking at week 16 rankings come Tuesday, with our championship battles on the horizon..B)

Edited by General Gannicus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncos132 said:

These weather concerns are classic. Unless it's an absolute monsoon out there, or a blizzard, then you shouldn't be overthinking it. Cold weather and a little bit of rain won't effect much. Its football lol 

Check out Rivers stats at KC, might change your mind.

I'm playing against Rivers this week so I followed MJB's advice^

He has been absolutely terrible in KC the past 4 years. His last good game (which was a really great one) was in 2013. 

1 hour ago, Phinfan31 said:

I'm playing against Rivers this week so I followed MJB's advice^

He has been absolutely terrible in KC the past 4 years. His last good game (which was a really great one) was in 2013. 

yeah I get that but KC's D used to be alot better. Their defense this year has been poor vs the pass

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheFire said:

Would you guys start him over Luck? I have it as a coin toss since both guys are having MVP caliber seasons. 

Same situation and I am starting Rivers over Luck. Going for the upside tonight. 

20 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

yeah I get that but KC's D used to be alot better. Their defense this year has been poor vs the pass

^This

Those past years where Rivers has been piss poor at Arrowhead the KC pass defense was significantly better than it is now.

I looked up their ranking the last 5 years against the pass:

2013 - 25th (Rivers went off against them this year)

2014 - 2nd (had them in fantasy that year, haven’t owned a more consistent D/ST since)

2015 - 9th

2016 - 18th

2017 - 29th

This year they’re dead last.

I’m much more concerned with the short week than Rivers’ history at Arrowhead.

• Like 1

i keep messing my matchups up. week 14 matt ryan over rivers. rivers won. last week rivers over ryan, ryan won. This week back to rivers over ryan. just assumed he had a safe floor of 15 points. 250 yards, 2 td's. 

If you guys watched the first game, there was probably 200 pass yards left off the field because of terrible dropped passed.  Rivers played great in week 1, his WR's stunk though.

• Like 1

What about Eric Berrys return? My Philip Rivers opponent just replaced him with Jared Goff. Guess he got scared....

Now I'm not so sure about starting Mike Williams...but couldn't Eric Berry actually help him? He will be shadowing Allen's area, won't he?

Just now, Phinfan31 said:

What about Eric Berrys return? My Philip Rivers opponent just replaced him with Jared Goff. Guess he got scared....

Now I'm not so sure about starting Mike Williams...but couldn't Eric Berry actually help him? He will be shadowing Allen's area, won't he?

Berry affects TE more. He did a great job vs Gronk last year, before shredding his Achilles.

5 minutes ago, Phinfan31 said:

Goff has probably a lil better matchup at home vs Phi tbh.  Rivers is on the road so I could see that change. 

Horrendous start for Rivers.  Looks like the Chargers didn't show up for this one.  Wouldn't be surprised if they mail it in.  Rivers will be pulled at half.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cuse445 said:

Horrendous start for Rivers.  Looks like the Chargers didn't show up for this one.  Wouldn't be surprised if they mail it in.  Rivers will be pulled at half.

Spot on. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cuse445 said:

This is almost too stupid to respond to. Almost.

13 minutes ago, Broncos132 said:

I cant believe he got us 18. I consider that a miracle tbh

The Chargers defense gave Rivers (and us as fantasy owners) those opportunities at the end.

Halfway through the 4th quarter Rivers had like 7.5 points in my league.