sjm76

James Conner 2018 Outlook

All of this comes down to whether Conner is actually fully healthy. He's practicing in full this week - great. While he's been out Samuels has carved out some kind of role. Considering his versatility it's hard for me to imagine he's not going to be part of the game plan Sunday regardless of Conner's role. 

Steelers need to win this game + help. If Conner is right he can massacre the Bengals D. High Risk/High Reward play on Sunday imo.

3 hours ago, CurvePirate814 said:

He practiced in full yesterday, but I'm unable to find any info on his practice today. Anyone have any information?

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Top10 overall player for nxt year.

Not a chance. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

1 hour ago, Cdub2k said:

Not a chance. 

He probably gets drafted at the start of round 2 next year. Could easily finish top 10 if he stays healthy. 

Conner should not be falling in the second round next year...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I rank T Gurley, S Barkley, CMac, A Kamara, E Elliot, M Gordon, D Henry, N Chubb, A Brown, D Hopkins, T Hill, D Adams, J Jones ahead of Conner. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cdub2k said:

I rank T Gurley, S Barkley, CMac, A Kamara, E Elliot, M Gordon, D Henry, N Chubb, A Brown, D Hopkins, T Hill, D Adams, J Jones ahead of Conner. 

Henry and Chubb? Conner has more upside than those guys imo given the strong offense he is in and the Steelers' one back system. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cdub2k said:

I rank T Gurley, S Barkley, CMac, A Kamara, E Elliot, M Gordon, Conner, D Henry, N Chubb, A Brown, D Hopkins, T Hill, D Adams, J Jones ahead of Conner. 

FIFY

10 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Henry and Chubb? Conner has more upside than those guys imo given the strong offense he is in and the Steelers' one back system. 

agreed. as long as Duke is alive Chubb's ceiling is low. And with Baker given the freedom to pass in short yardage situations like he has lately, Chubb will be overdrafted

On 12/28/2018 at 2:56 PM, CABLE87 said:

Someone ha to fall into the 2nd rd next season.. . .:lol:

2 hours ago, FritzLn said:

agreed. as long as Duke is alive Chubb's ceiling is low. And with Baker given the freedom to pass in short yardage situations like he has lately, Chubb will be overdrafted

Yeah and Henry has Lewis. Even some elite RBs split work, like Gordon with Ekeler. The Steelers are one of the few "one RB" teams left. 

I think Chubb likely will go in the second round. That's appropriate given his performance this year. The only concern I have about him is we have seen RBs look great in their first year and fall off dramatically the next year. Howard, CJA, Fournette are all recent examples of this. I would rather take a more proven RB around that point in the draft, like Joe Mixon.

Edited by Ace_King

5 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Yeah and Henry has Lewis. Even some elite RBs split work, like Gordon with Ekeler. The Steelers are one of the few "one RB" teams left. 

I think Chubb likely will go in the second round. That's appropriate given his performance this year. The only concern I have about him is we have seen RBs look great in their first year and fall off dramatically the next year. Howard, CJA, Fournette are all recent examples of this. I would rather take a more proven RB around that point in the draft, like Joe Mixon.

I think once the coaching and QB carousel starts and finishes the round ranking will fluctuate quite  a bit. Imagine if marv lews was fired or mcdaniels goes to GB

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Howard-  new coach and scheme third year, second year he was like rb9.  

fournette-  injury and suspension 

CJA- only 22 carries his rookie year then went to the pro bowl in 2014.  But he always struggled to stay healthy. 

Can’t predict injury but outside of that- Chubbs situation couldn’t get a whole lot better.   That team is loaded with cap space and young talent.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 2:56 PM, CABLE87 said:

He is a 2nd rounder.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:04 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

No way he gets drafted before the likes of

Barkley, Gurley, Zeke, CMC, Kamara, Gordon

Hopkins, Brown, Adams, Hill, Julio, OBJ, Thomas

You also have to factor in the offseason with players like Fournette, DJ, Cook, D. Freeman and Chubb. After the top 6 RB's, there's a lot of questions that need to answered in offseason.

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Howard-  new coach and scheme third year, second year he was like rb9.  

fournette-  injury and suspension 

CJA- only 22 carries his rookie year then went to the pro bowl in 2014.  But he always struggled to stay healthy. 

Can’t predict injury but outside of that- Chubbs situation couldn’t get a whole lot better.   That team is loaded with cap space and young talent.  

Yeah Howard was still valuable in his second year but he fell off significantly, a fact which was masked in fantasy by TDs.  He was a backup to start 2016 but he accumulated 1,611 yards in 15 games. That fell to 1,247 the next year, despite playing 16 games and being the starter all year.

Right on CJA. I forgot he broke out in his second year and then busted in his third.

I would be happy to have Chubb in the second round next year. I'm just saying I have a small concern based on past one year wonders. CJA, Jeremy Hill, Howard, Fournette are exceptions to the rule. 

Dashoe, good point. We are speculating based on current information but a lot will change with drafts, trades, coaches, etc. Playoff performances will have some impact too.

Edited by Ace_King

27 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Yeah Howard was still valuable in his second year but he fell off significantly, a fact which was masked in fantasy by TDs.  He was a backup to start 2016 but he accumulated 1,611 yards in 15 games. That fell to 1,247 the next year, despite playing 16 games and being the starter all year.

Right on CJA. I forgot he broke out in his second year and then busted in his third.

I would be happy to have Chubb in the second round next year. I'm just saying I have a small concern based on past one year wonders. CJA, Jeremy Hill, Howard, Fournette are exceptions to the rule. 

Dashoe, good point. We are speculating based on current information but a lot will change with drafts, trades, coaches, etc. Playoff performances will have some impact too.

All fair.  And there are certainly more egregious examples you could reference.  

Bottom line tho- you can’t hesitate to take these young rbs just because of a small nfl resume.   Especially when the talent and situation is off the charts.

• Like 1